X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jfinneru
    • Nov 2003

1068 vs 1098

hey guys! tomorrow me and a friend of mine are going to test the new 1068 pre amp against my own 1098. we will use my rotel amps(1090,1095). he is testing for the biggest norwegian ht mag, so it will be interesting to se if we can hear any differences between them. if they are identical, who will pay the 2000$ extra for the 1098 in the future?

brgds joern

moderator norwegian avforum
    brgds joern

• aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Well I doubt they'll be identical but I'll be interested to see the results. Just make sure you guys are doing blind testing to be fair

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
    Jason

Comment

• Azeke
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2003

There have been users here are the forum who have compared the 1068 and the 1098, and to them the 1098 won hands down. I concur with Jason the test must be A/B blind, with the same peripherial equipment. I for one certainly what to know the true results, because I own the 1098.

Please keep us posted,

Azeke

Comment

• Aeromos
        • Jun 2003

Sorry guys I've been out of the loop for a while. Can someone please tell me the MSRP for the 1068? Thanks!!

Aeromos
        Enjoy life, it's too short to waste!!
        My Collection
        Aeromos
        My Collection

Comment

• Azeke
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2003

Welcome back, Aeromos

I believe the last I heard it is $1799.00 US, I could be wrong however due to my recent memory lapses :LOL: .

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• Aeromos
            • Jun 2003

Thanks!! I seem to be having memory lapses myself but how much cheaper was/is the 1066. I'm guessing the 1068 is the upgrade and share specs more closely with the 1098.

Aeromos
            My Collection
            Aeromos
            My Collection

Comment

• MichiganMike
              • Mar 2004

Rotel manufactures high end consumer electronics for stereo, home theater and whole house audio systems.

Rotel.com lists the MSRP at $1699 for the RSP-1068.

The retail price of the RSP-1066 was $1499.

Comment

• SpOoNmAn
                • Sep 2003

I am looking forward to the results from this comparison. I wanted the very pricey Bryston SP1.7, but it doesnt have all the connections I might need down the road, and I have no use for the screen on the 1098, so the 1068 might be what I looking for, if indeed it sounds "almost" as good as it's bigger brother.

Life is short, Play it LOUD!

Theatre Photo Album (A work in Progress)
                GameTracker -My List-
                Life is short, Play it LOUD!

Comment

• jfinneru
                  • Nov 2003

we had the first listen impression last night. the 1068 and the 1098 sounds wery much the same, but one thing was different. the 1068 was not so silent as the 1098. we got a hum in all the speakers. the source for this was the videoboard(guessing) since unplugging the video connection from the dvd player eliminated the hum. we tried 4 different s-video cables, component cable, 2 different dvd players and two different houses. every time we connected a video source, the hum came back. it might be trickier to separate components with a smaller cabinet.
                  anyone have an idea how to eliminate this hum? have any of the 1068 owner noticed this hum?
                  besides from this I really liked the 1068. it sounded wery good indeed! but as a 1098 owner I really missed the screen.. It's wery handy when operating this baby. we will listen more to it and we will also adress the national distributer to se if they know something ( I don't think they know since this is the first 1068 in norway..)

brgds joern

brgds joern

Comment

• eelco74
                    • Dec 2002

I am very curious about the 1068 performance.

I pre-oredered one, even without seeing or hearing the damn thing. But I had a 1066 demo once, I suspect the 1068 will outperform it. And will definately improve on my Denon 3801 :-)

Is the unit you have from stock, or specially arranged for you. I pre-ordered mine, so if it is stock mine can't be far away..

Marantz AV8802, Marantz UD8002, Rotel RB-991 and RB985mkii, Rotel RD960
                    Focal/Jmlab Electra 1028S, Electra CC, Electra SW1000S, Cobalt 705
                    Pioneer KRL-37V, Epson EH-TW8100, Kinkping CES-180 77"inch

Comment

• jfinneru
                      • Nov 2003

it was the first item to come to norway and directly shiped to us for testing, so it's not in stock in norway yet, but I guess it will be soon

brgds joern

brgds joern

Comment

• Bostonears
                        • Mar 2004

Originally posted by jfinneru
                        the 1068 was not so silent as the 1098. we got a hum in all the speakers. the source for this was the videoboard(guessing) since unplugging the video connection from the dvd player eliminated the hum. we tried 4 different s-video cables, component cable, 2 different dvd players and two different houses. every time we connected a video source, the hum came back. it might be trickier to separate components with a smaller cabinet.
                        anyone have an idea how to eliminate this hum? have any of the 1068 owner noticed this hum?
                        The most likely (but not necessarily correct) explanation would be a ground loop between the DVD player and the 1068. You might already have tried these, but here are a few things to look at that could help isolate the problem.

- How is the AUDIO connected between the DVD player and the 1068? If you are using either analog audio or coaxial digital, that could be the source of a ground loop when the video cable is also connected. Do you hear the hum if only a video cable is connected and no audio cable?

- Do you notice any irregularities in the video image that might be related to the frequency of the hum, such as static or beat patterns? (60 Hz, or is it 50 Hz in Norway?)

- If you leave the DVD player connected in a state where the hum occurs, then disconnect the video OUTPUT from the 1068 to the monitor, does the hum stay or go away? If it goes away, that would indicate a ground loop involving one ground coming to the 1068 through the monitor and another ground coming through the DVD player.

- Does the hum occur if you try a completely different video source (a VCR or anything else other than a DVD player)?

I had a bothersome hum coming from the speakers in my new RSX1067 regardless of any external connections (that is, the hum was there even when no inputs or outputs were connected other than the speakers). This could not be due to a ground loop. The dealer returned the 1067 to Rotel, and I haven't heard the diagnosis yet.

I ended up switching to separates. I picked up a 1068 and a 6-channel RMB1066 amp. This combination is dead quiet, with no hum at any time.

Comment

• dmeister
                          • Mar 2004

we got a hum in all the speakers.
                          I have been considering a 1068/1075 combo, but I would definitely be concerned about its sensitivity to RFI interference and hum (which is why I am shying away from NAD). If any other 1068 users have run into this issue, please post your experience.

Comment

• Atorak
                            • Feb 2004

I have a 1068/1075 combo. I absolutely love it. Everything in my system sounds better, running a pair of Nautilus 804s. No hum whatsoever, ever.

Comment

• jfinneru
                              • Nov 2003

we have also tested the 1067,and it had the same hum. we tried different cables and we noticed that the hum only came when we had the 5.1 input and a video innput connected at the same time. if we removed the 5.1 analog cables, we could connect s-video and a coax and std phono stereo inputs whitout any hum, but with 5.1 analog input connected, hum..

brgds joern

brgds joern

Comment

• Atorak
                                • Feb 2004

PS: My first 1068 unit had a faulty D/A converter on it, which made a fuzzy sound come out of all the speakers playing DVDs. Just an FYI, might be a bad unit....

Comment

• jfinneru
                                  • Nov 2003

after some investigation with the national distributer, we found out that both the 1068 and the 1067 we got for testing was considered a pre-release. the hum issue was going to be fixed.

brgds joern

brgds joern

Comment

• MichiganMike
                                    • Mar 2004

I purchased a 1068 last week. The audio background noise with video inputs connected is significantly higher. The cable TV connection introduces the most noise, but when cable is disconnected the output to my plasma TV still adds hum on audio. I temporarily have disconnected all video inputs and outputs, but then do not have the OSD and cannot listen to cable audio through my system.

Comment

Working...
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"