X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • baddkarma
    • Mar 2004

1068 video problems

Something odd occurred while setting up my 1068 I picked up the other day.

First off - I run my HDTV signal directly to a Pioneer Elite Pro-510HD (2 component video ins available).

My DVD, XBOX, and PS2 run through the 1068 and back out to the second component in on the Pioneer Elite Pro-510HD.

The DVD player is a Pioneer Elite DV-37 on interlace (usually) so that I can change the mode to something other than Full if I want and to take advantage of the 510’s sweet line doubler.

That said - I found when putting in a DVD the screen started waffling and jumping in and out frequently. I noticed a display on the screen as if the OSD were connected to that video channel or it were turned on, (which it wasn’t), stating the video mode.

The jumping screen ceased after putting either the Pioneer Elite DV-37 or the 1068 unit into Progressive scan mode. One, the other, or both would calm the picture.

If I power off the 1068 and power it back on, the audio will kick in but the picture will not until I change the video channel in and out or I hit the OSD button on and off.

I’m not sure exactly what to make of this. The guys at Georgia Home Theater are going to follow up and contact Rotel tomorrow on it but I thought it worth mentioning in case anyone else ran into this to save you some trouble shooting. I bring this up in this forum because it never was an issue with my 1066 but apparently is with my 1068.

What kind of stooge plays his DVD’s, X-Box and PS2 through his pre-amp anyway? Oh yeah that would be me! My kingdom for one more component video in!!

For now it’s back to bypassing the 1068 and running directly to the monitor as it really should be I suppose. But I have to say I was really looking forward using that extra CV in to not having to swap cables when I wanted to play.

Darren
  • skipm
    • Jun 2003

Darren-

The next time you are over at Georgia Home Theater tell Eric that Skip said hello. Try setting Progressive=Off on the input you have your DVD player connected to. Let me know if it makes a difference.

-Skip

Comment

• baddkarma
      • Mar 2004

Hey Skip - I'll pass that along. He and Travis are going to stop by and check out the new setup.

fyi - The input on the 1068 said the progressive was off when I ran my battery of tests. Thanks though.

Darren

Comment

• skipm
        • Jun 2003

Darren-

Oh well, worth a try. The reason I mentioned it was that when I first received my 1098, before the firmware upgrade, if I set Progressive=On on any of my inputs I saw something similiar to what you described. Even if I turned CC on I would get scrambled video.

Good luck!

-Skip

Comment

• Ron Reda
          • Jan 2003

Darren,

So, you're one of the guys that scored a 1068 at GA HT? I spoke with Eric last week (I bought my 1066 from him) and he was just sifting through the shipment. Hopefully, he'll be able to put one aside for me soon!

Comment

• Bostonears
            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by baddkarma
            If I power off the 1068 and power it back on, the audio will kick in but the picture will not until I change the video channel in and out or I hit the OSD button on and off.
            I experience the same problem with my 1068. I've got a digital cable TV box and a DVD player as component video inputs, output to a JVC TV. When I turn off the 1068 and turn it back on, the component video output is blank until I switch video inputs. I think the behavior is altered by changing the Progressive Scan setting in the 1068, but it doesn't seem consistent. Perhaps it's affected, for example, by whether the current video signal from the digital cable box is high definition. I need to do some experimentation to pin it down.

I know the problem is not in my TV, because I had an RSX1067 in the same system for about 10 days before I switched to separates, and the 1067 did not do this.

I could probably devise a workaround by programming macros in the remote control to switch video inputs back and forth, but that would definitely be a band-aid approach. This behavior of the 1068 is a real pain in the butt.

Comment

• Bostonears
              • Mar 2004

Problem solved (or at least I have positively identified the conditions under which it occurs, along with a temporary workaround). On my 1068, this blank video problem on power up occurs whenever the active video input (V1 in my case) is set to be on Progressive AND the OSD is set to OFF. (Both of these settings are in the "Other" menu.) The problem does not occur if either of these settings is different.

I have already informed Rotel tech support about it in an email exchange. We'll see if they're able to replicate the problem and/or fix it in a future software update.

Comment

• hamiltong
                • Feb 2003

I concluded a similar problem as well with the OSD.. I spent the last week isolating the problem.

My video sources (output through 1068 via component video) would fail the 'overscan bounce' test on AVIA. My TV would loose sync on highly contrasting scenes. I thought it was my TV. I'm very familiar with my TV's service menu - so I went and tried out a million combinations to eliminate this problem.. No luck.

I reset the 1068 to factory defaults.. And voila my 'overscan bounce' test worked.. hmmm

The first change I made in the 1068 menu was 'OSD' - I set it to off, which turned out to once again fail my 'overscan bounce' test.

I told my local Rotel dealer. I think the character generator (off) is messing with the component video output. It does not have a problem when only switching S-Video to S-Video.. But anything being output through the component is problematic (even upconverted composite & S-Video).

Comment

• Bostonears
                  • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Bostonears
                  Problem solved (or at least I have positively identified the conditions under which it occurs, along with a temporary workaround). On my 1068, this blank video problem on power up occurs whenever the active video input (V1 in my case) is set to be on Progressive AND the OSD is set to OFF. (Both of these settings are in the "Other" menu.) The problem does not occur if either of these settings is different.

I have already informed Rotel tech support about it in an email exchange. We'll see if they're able to replicate the problem and/or fix it in a future software update.
                  Rotel Tech Support in the U.S. has now replicated this problem, and they have notified Rotel engineers. We'll see if they come back with a solution.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"