X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mfishmike
    • Mar 2004

Which version for 1065..??

Well we got the new eprom chip installed and installed the 2.4 version. I got it home and no sound.....I went back to Rotel's site, and very confusing....."you can install this version if this version is installed, and if you have the new eprom chip installed, further upgrade is possible...""then install this version"........
    any thoughts? I have the new chip (authorized install), and the original version was 1.1. Thanks.....Mike Cason
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

Mike,

Hmm.. If you were at 1.1, you needed the eeprom chip to be able to install any 2.XX versions.

Now there was a board design change around the same time the eeprom update came out. These were also had series 1 software, but had the eeprom chip integrated more into the design so they could stay with the 1.XX versions..

The eeprom update was a 'hack' if you will to get DDEX on the older units and needed a new version of software to work with this. Since the newer units had the DDEX code on the eeprom and throughout the unit they don't need this 'hack' and continue on with the standard 1.XX code.

Now if that makes more sense, on to your rpoblem. If you have had the eeprom update you definately need the 2.XX version of software for things to work right. When you say you get no sound, does it power up at all? I would say try to run the download again, but since you had a service center do it you may not have the cable needed.

I would run it back to the service center Monday and have them take a look. But rest assured you are at the right version number.

Kevin D.

Comment

• mfishmike
      • Mar 2004

Kevin,
      I just happened to purchase the cable, end, and adapter. Will run over to the parts house to get the male to male to fit the computer. I made up the plug last nite. Do I just re-install the software as per instructions? & would that be the ver 2.4? Two things I noticed after install. First, I couldn't find the version on the OSD after install., second, after I pushed factory default, the unit turned off, then back on, and when I went to the menu where the default is shown, it shows all defaults at "no"....Bad chip maybe? Any and all help is appreciated. Yes I can take it back monday, but would like to avoid that if possible.....the tech there is cool...if I have a problem. Yes, it all looked o-k on the display, and came on fine, just no sound. If I pushed the wrong button on the receiver, (not the remote), it locked up into two channel, and the factory defaults had to be pushed again., even though there wasn't any sound, that's what was on the display on the unit.......whew.......Thanks Kev........

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

Yes, just reinstall 2.2.4 as per the instructions. After version 1.4 the version number moved to equal the new Rotel standard position. You have to hold down mute until it displays the version on the front of the unit.

The all defaults should be 'no'. That's normal. You have to change it to 'yes' and then hit enter to confirm.

Good luck!

Kevin D.

Comment

• mfishmike
          • Mar 2004

Kevin,

Soldered up the cord, ran hyperterminal, all smooth.....but receiver hardly responding.....all settings were perfect, and done in proper order with switches and powering up too.

I don't get the menu showing progress on the computer...just some ascii characters. Sometimes, depending on the port I use, i get a bunch of 1's when trying to clear rotel's memory. When I transfer the 2.24 file, the screen just sits there, and occasionally an ascii character pops up, then after a while, another one........I'm thinking it's the cable, even though I've checked the soldering and configuration 11 times.......I guess it's another trip to Houston, unless you have another suggestion?....
          All weekend without the home theater......how miserable....no music either........ Really makes ya think about the 3rd world countries with no ht......... :idea:

Comment

• Kevin D
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Oct 2002

Ok, if you never got the menu you should have stopped there.. There really isn't any sort of's with the procedure. If you didn't get the menu like it displays in the help file it's not going to work. Hopefully the shot in the dark technique didn't hurt anything else. Shouldn't.

The cable diagram can be a little confusing. If you got some asci characters it sounds like it may be right, but your com setting are wrong.
            It's a pretty simple cable config that gets really complicated on the diagram they use. Try reversing the pin out on the RJ45 and see what happens or just swapping TX and RX. With the switches in there normal position you should get display updates whenever something changes on the receiver. That way you can check the cable with different configs without having to power down and mess with switches.. IE, plug the cable in and move the volume. If you get nothing or garbage the cable or config is wrong. If you get '?? VID 1 VOL 45 ??' (or something close to that) everythings is ready to go. Power down flip the switches and power up, then you should get the eeprom update menu.

Kevin D.

Comment

• mfishmike
              • Mar 2004

Kevin,

Well the Rotel won.....I dis-assembled the adapter again, and checked my wiring.....I had it correct and didn't want to mess up the Rotel by reversing the wires, so played with the networking, and com ports for the next 4 hours. Gave it up and went out to eat. I'll take it back in the a.m. to Houston, along with my cord and adapter, and have the auth warranty guy check it out! (and my cord)......

You have been very generous with your time and it is very much appreciated. You could have saved me a day or two off work running to Houston if it worked out! You guys have a great forum here, & I plan to stay......

Do you have any comments about my post regarding the 1090 380w X 2 amp. Looking to buy one from audiogon used to team up with the 1065. I need something to help drive my mains I'm finishing up....I haven't heard anything pro or con about this jewel.....I posted a couple of pics of the mains & ht.

Thanks so much....Mike Cason

Comment

• aud19
                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2003

Let us know if it worked out in town Mike

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
                Jason

Comment

• mfishmike
                  • Mar 2004

Jason,

Well I got the unit home and ola....no sound......worked all weekend with it and took it back to Houston Monday......Factory ph calls and tech couldn't fix it so it needed to go back to factory.....I suggested re-install of the old eprom and 1.3 software, and it worked again....Didn't want it to take the UPS bounce across the U.S......twice......Am trying to get another eprom & upload cord sent to me so I can put it in here in Clear Lake......Must have been a bad one....thanx
                  Mike

Comment

• aud19
                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2003

Well good luck Mike Hopefully you can get this resolved soon so you can enjoy that beast!

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
                    Jason

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"