X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • miner
    • Mar 2005

Rotel RC-1090 phono stage

I am considering re-entering the world of vinyl and was curious if any other RC-1090 pre owners were satisfied with the phono stage on their pre-amp. Being able to use either MM or MC cartridge with this pre was a factor for me when shopping to replace my RC-1070. TT and cartridge recommendations welcomed. Budget is $700-1000.
  • gd
    • Jan 2003

Originally posted by miner
    Budget is $700-1000.
    Music Hall and Rega are the usual suspects at this price point.

No experience with RC-1090.

Shop: http://www.needledoctor.com/

If needed, you can find a vast array of phono pre's there as well, from affordable to ridiculous.

For over 10 yrs, I've been happy with this rig, in your $$ ballpark:
    Rega Planar 3 (incl tonearm)
    Sumiko Blue Point Special (MC)
    Parasound PPH-100 (phono pre)
    greg (gd to you)
    Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
    production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• miner
      • Mar 2005

Yes, I was looking at the MMF-5SE & P3. I like the fact the MMF-5SE has VTA. Do you think it is necessary for me to get an outboard phono stage? Rotel has told me the MC setting has a 16mV limit and the MM setting has a 160mV limit. What does this mean in regards to cartridges? Thanks for your help & input. My wife thinks I am crazy for wanting to get back inot vinyl. She is of the CD generation.

Comment

• gd
        • Jan 2003

At the risk of oversimplifying, you should be able to buy most any cartridge, based on your tastes and budget, and play through your 1090 with excellent results.

Again, I've no experience with the 1090.

And rather than have me fumble awkwardly with further detail, here is a specific page within a purty good FAQ: http://www.vandenhul.com/artpap/phono_faq.htm#91

Heh, wives -- whatathey know?
        greg (gd to you)
        Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
        production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• Zoran
          • Apr 2005

I have quite an extensive experience with both RC-1090 (owned three years, sold in 2005 - but planning to buy another one - that good!!!) and RC-1070 (several audio fellows). Differences soundwise very, very pallpable - in favour of 1090, of course. While phono stage itself has been not that exploited (only minor part of music I consume via turntable), the overall sound quality benefits through 1090 undoubtfull... I can only say that RC-1090' phono sound turned out superior to NAD PP-1 phono-box I owned before, but this entry-level NAD is surely not reference level for any valid comparison...

Please take a look this link:

Approx. a year ago this issue was touched in thread above - guy monikered as bigburner attached (post dated August 13th 2005) two internal-view pictures of both RC-1090 and RC-1070. Take a look carefully - internal contents of RC-1070 look truly shameful in terms of amount of used electronic components, while RC-1090 looks much richer, with meticulous layout...

Hope this helps,

Zoran, Macedonia

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"