X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CombatWombat
    • Jul 2006

Amp config

Im trying to decide what config of amps to use with my new B&W setup... I have... Well am waiting on... 4 705s HTM7 and 2 ASW750 subs for HT and a pair of 703s for music.

So I have made a decision on getting the RSP1098( How can you go past the LCD screen) And a RC-1090 for the 2 channel music ( unless someone has a better Idea)

My only problem is what amp combo to use should I go a HT amp or go for all stereo amp setup

I have the problem of not being able to listen to any of these amps, so I am going on any good advice I can get.

Plus a rack full of amps ;x( is always a eye catcher

Thanks to all who respond
  • grit
    • Jan 2005

So you need 5 ch for HT? Given the speakers you're running, you might consider the 1077. My 1075 (120x5 wpc) was great for my 703's, and I've read the 1077 has better control than the 1075. I personally do not like the 1077's imaging, but I'm DEFINITELY in the minority on this. Almost everyone LOVES that amp. That'd get you 7 channels too.

If you want to keep the 1090, I'd go with a 1075 for HT. Remember, most of your low end will be diverted to your subs anyway, so no need to overpower the speakers.

Comment

• CombatWombat
      • Jul 2006

Imaging is paramount for me and Im not a big fan of class D amps... Or more to the point Im a big fan of analog amps

So mabey if I go a 1095 for HT over kill yes but if I ever upgrade my amps I can move that amp to power my Klipsch reference 7 system in the family room

Why two HT you may ask well I bought the Klipsch system when I was 19 with a Yamaha RX-V1 a very nice system...Very Loud but lacks some of the finness I crave and the RX-V1 is starting to show its age with fetures

And being my first system Im a bit attached to it

But the B&W is going into a room I am specially building.

So let see since its Tax return time I think I might get

A RSP-1068-RMB1095 combo to run the klipsch system in the familiy room the klipsch is a 200wpc center and rears 250wpc front mains with very high efficency and they just crave power the mains have a peak handling of 1000wpc and the center and rears 800wpc

A RSP-1098(which I have already ordered)-RMB1095 or RMB1075(as the 1095 might be a bit overkill LOL just a bit) for B&W 705HT
      A RC-1090-RMB1080 for 703 stereo-This will be to sit down dedicated listeing not backgroung music

As I am writing this I am haveing a million toughts at once.... Sorry if it is hard to follow.

703 vs 804 will Im just regret buying the 703

If so would the RMB-1090 be the beast for the job on the for the 804's

Im only going with 700s cause I have listend to them and loved them and are unable to listen to the 800 as my local dealer does not stock them

If anyone can follow this your tought would be apperciated

Comment

• srb
        • Oct 2004

If I understand correctly, the HT (4 X 705) and the 2-Channel (2 X 703) are going in the same room / seating position?

If so, rather than duplicate L & R front speakers as well as duplicating front amplification, why not get a 2-channel preamp with an HT bypass input?

Obviously that would mean getting a preamp other than the Rotel (the RC-1090 doesn't have an HT bypass input).

Comment

• CombatWombat
          • Jul 2006

I have aready bought the RSP-1098

And yes all in the same room/ seating position

Comment

• grit
            • Jan 2005

I'll just comment on the 703 vs 804 issue.

W/respect to music, I'd get the 804 over the 703 any day of the week. For that matter, I'd ideally get the 803-S.

Now, if you're going to do THAT, why not eliminate the 705's all together, and go with 803-S x2, HTM2S (I think I got that model right, essentially an 804 on its side), and 805Sx2 in the back? The 803's will do wonderfully for music and have a well-matched system for HT too. The 1095 will definitely power the 803's well.

And remember the cost of speaker stands when factoring in 705's or 805's.

Comment

• Bluespower
              • Sep 2005

I agree with SRB. Unless you have your heart set on duplicating equipment, do a little research into stereo pre-amps that have a "pass-thru" feature for the main channels.

I ended up with the ModWright SWL 9.0SE pre (tube) married to my 1068. They share a 1095 driving 804s for the main speakers.

I have a 1072 connected to the ModWright for 2-chan and a 1060 connected to the 1068 for DVD-A and video. Works wonderfully and I couldn't be happier with the sound.

Just a thought that may give you a few options...

Bluespower

Comment

• WI Rotel
                • Jul 2006

You cannot go wrong with a 1095. It will drive anything and does surround as adroitly as it will do stereo. Best buy in the market by a very long shot. If you poured your money into a 1098 the amp is not the place to start saving.

Comment

• rickyo
                  • Jul 2006

Hi combatwombat, since you mentioned that the 1095 would be an overkill and that a RACK full of AMPs is always an eyecatcher, Why not get 2units of 1075 (total of 10x120w) to bi-amped your 5.0 ht set-up instead of 1 unit 1095 for the same COST(amp wise).just my opinion.

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Oct 2003

Combat Wombat,

Consider the Rotel RMB-1077 - a number of us (including myself and co-moderator Kevin D) like it as much or more than the RMB-1095... And it mates sooooo well witb B&Ws

Geoff

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"