X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bowlman
    • Jun 2006

Rotel rb 1080 amp

I have seen alot of Rotel RB 1080 amps for sale on other websites.Are these good amps?? Have there been any problems with them?? Or are people just upgrading??
    Thanks for any input.
  • miner
    • Mar 2005

very good amp, some issues with fuses blowing but newer models should have had this issue resolved. A used one can be had for $650 or less.

Comment

• gymguymass
      • May 2004

I have owned mine for 2 years now, without incident. I do not use the 12 volt trigger (as learned from this site) and I leave it on all the time - except when I gone overnight. Runs fairly cool, although I do have it open on all sides.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• JohnStassi
        • Jun 2006

What's the story with the 12 volt trigger? Just purchased the RB 1070 , RC 1070 and RCC 1055 and was looking to hook em up with the trigger

Comment

• JDH
          • Sep 2004

Originally posted by JohnStassi
          What's the story with the 12 volt trigger? Just purchased the RB 1070 , RC 1070 and RCC 1055 and was looking to hook em up with the trigger

There isn't an issue with the RB-1070, people however have had problems with earlier models of the RB-1080. I have both an RB-1080 and RB-1070, I originally had problems with the RB-1080, however since the upgrade was done a year ago I haven't had a problem at all.
          Bits of HT & 2ch Stuff: Rotel, Pro-ject, Oppo, Bel Canto, Elektra Audio, Benchmark, Panasonic, DSPeaker, Epson, Slim Devices, Belkin, Philips Pronto, Harmony, URC, Sennheisser, AKG, HTPC under development, KEF, Whatmough, Definitive Technology & Pardigm Signiture speakers

Comment

• P1et
            • Jan 2006

Can I ask what a "12V trigger" is?

Comment

• miner
              • Mar 2005

It is a wire (trigger) that runs from the pre to other components that turn on the other components after pre is turned on; and tunrs off too. This way you only need to 'power up' the pre to turn on/off the other components.

Comment

• Kens1
                • Mar 2005

I also leave mine on 24/7 even when I am away and do not use the 12 volt trigger. One and a half years trouble free. Great amp IMO.

Comment

• bigburner
                  Super Senior Member
                  • May 2005

I've had my RB-1080 for 18 months and it hasn't missed a beat. I don't use the 12 volt trigger.

Comment

• chinets
                    • Jun 2005

I have the 1098 pre/pro with 12V triggers connected to my CD player,DVD player and My Amp and NO problem whatsover!!!!

Comment

• Azeke
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Mar 2003

Bowlman,

I also own the RB-1080, and I have experienced the blowing fuse issue. Since, I have upgraded to the 8A fuses do not use the 12v triggers, I have not had any further problems. There is an internal upgrade available thru Rotel. If you are contemplating buying this amp it is an excellent buy for the money just ensure you purchase the one with the four binding post (used for bi-wiring). There are a number of variables which contributed to the blown fuse issues, the 12v trigger being in my eyes the primary factor, as well as speaker wire (I use MIT),etc.

There are a number of reasons that people are putting up their RB-1080s on e-bay, i.e. upgrading to better amps (Classe, Krell, etc), digital fever, etc.

Just my quick thoughts and humble opinion.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• mike c
                        • Dec 2005

there's a 1080 with 4 pairs of binding posts?

Comment

• miner
                          • Mar 2005

4 posts = biwire; not bi-amping.

Comment

• Azeke
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Mar 2003

Originally posted by miner
                            4 posts = biwire; not bi-amping.
                            That is correct, my apologies, my previous post has been corrected.

Best regards,

Azeke

Comment

• mike c
                              • Dec 2005

so is that still 4 posts PER channel? =8 total?

Comment

• Azeke
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Mar 2003

Originally posted by mike c

http://europe.rotel.com/support/pdfs...B1080-back.pdf
                                That is correct, for the newer version RB-1080, the drawing reflects the older versions. Check out the RB-1090 drawing for an example.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Oct 2003

Originally posted by mike c
                                  Yep they switched to this on a revamp for series 3 or 4 or the Rb-1080 amp - the 4 per channel are all WBT look-alikes with clear plastic covers. I have had this version and the older version and IMO this version has the edge in sound quality - so if buying second hand - I'd defintely get it... Interestingly the full fix for the blown fuse issue is in yet another version (looks the same) which has the different resistors and capacitors factory installed. Models for the last year (more in parts of the world) have had this factory installed.

The good news is the issue is rare (less than 1 in 100 RB-1080 onwers) and relates to the speakers and cables you are using and turn-on currents of of the very high damping factor in the amp as it charges up to control your bass driver. So most people never encounter it. If you do the trigger and 8 amp fuse works for most and those few with repeat problems, Rotel will upgrade for free under warranty.

Geoff

Comment

• mike c
                                    • Dec 2005

thanks Azeke and Aussie Geoff ... will look for biwirable 1080s when I do decide to buy a new setup.

Comment

• bowlman
                                      • Jun 2006

Thanks for all the input on the Rotel 1080 amp.All my questions have been answersed..

Comment

Working...
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"