X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • foeth
    • Apr 2006

Silly Question reg. multiple DVD players

I was just wondering: I currenly have a general player that plays everything that is circular. With the upcoming Blu-Ray/HD DVD war I may end up with a new DVD player (whatever brand). If I want to connect both (in case the new player doesn't play SACD), I may need Rotels expensive new switch board, the RVE-1070. But, does the RVE-1070 have 5.1 Analogue out as well? I cannot connect two analogue 5.1's and the 1068 does not have HDMI...

It seems logical that if they have a new video scaler, it *should* be an audio swicher as well....?
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

Nope, it's just video switching and scaling. No audio use, even from the HDMI's.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Clepto
      • Feb 2006

Originally posted by foeth
      It seems logical that if they have a new video scaler, it *should* be an audio swicher as well....?
      Yeah, it SHOULD have been, but I think they missed the boat with that one, and with HDMI appearing in their 2006 models, it's looking like the RVE is really only of marginal use to legacy rotel gear, but there are much better non-Rotel solutions for switching video AND audio.

Comment

• Andrew M Ward
        • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Clepto
        Yeah, it SHOULD have been, but I think they missed the boat with that one, and with HDMI appearing in their 2006 models, it's looking like the RVE is really only of marginal use to legacy rotel gear, but there are much better non-Rotel solutions for switching video AND audio.

A device that manages both audio and video is called a preamp...or at least that’s what it sounds like you're talking about.

However:
        A video scaler manages, switches and up-converts video.... and every single Rotel legacy customer could potentially use this device (that's a lot of people)

Example:
        If I have a great sounding preamp but add new HDMI video gear and a HD capable TV, I would simply add a scaler to my system

If I was unhappy with my audio... I might look for a scaling preamplifier... two different products designed to solve different issues.

Comment

• Jaynaldo
          • May 2006

I just ordered the RDV-1092 which has 1 HDMI output and component capability. I'll post the reviews. It was kinda pricey for a dvd player since blu-ray & HD DVD. At least the prices of DVD's have gone done tremendiosly.

Comment

• Vicente
            • May 2004

Jaynaldo, I expect your results anxiously. I'm opening a new thread about my doubts of what to do for the near future.

Comment

• foeth
              • Apr 2006

I wonder why you would even consider a video scaler if you have a brand new DVD player that (or so I assume) can scale all by itself and NOT be able to switch audio. Seems quite simple that if you have several HDMI video sources you also have several HMDI audio sources. With a price tag of $2000 (IIRC) it costs MORE than a new preprocessor. With Rotels reluctance to adopt SACD and only 1 multichannel input they pretty guaranteed I will not buy Rotel's DVD-players.... Funny thing is that all their competitors seem to graps this notion and acted upon it....

If I were Rotel I'd spend a little bit more time implementing HDMI and scaling in their pre-processors / receivers and not in a separate unit that costs more and does less.

Comment

• Andrew M Ward
                • Apr 2005

Originally posted by foeth
                I wonder why you would even consider a video scaler if you have a brand new DVD player that (or so I assume) can scale all by itself and NOT be able to switch audio. Seems quite simple that if you have several HDMI video sources you also have several HMDI audio sources. With a price tag of $2000 (IIRC) it costs MORE than a new preprocessor. With Rotels reluctance to adopt SACD and only 1 multichannel input they pretty guaranteed I will not buy Rotel's DVD-players.... Funny thing is that all their competitors seem to graps this notion and acted upon it....

If I were Rotel I'd spend a little bit more time implementing HDMI and scaling in their pre-processors / receivers and not in a separate unit that costs more and does less.
                Rotel has a long and very successful history of costing more and doing less...

It's the doing less better part that some people are interested in, others not so interested.

There is absolutely nothing confusing or odd to me about what Rotel is doing, in fact it's what they have been doing forever.

Comment

• wkhanna
                  Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Andrew M Ward
                  Rotel has a long and very successful history of costing more and doing less...
                  OK...that's it........
                  I hereby announce the creation of the International Andrew M Ward Society of Secret FANatics,
                  from this day forth to be known by its acronym ‘I-AM-WARDSS-FAN’

Also, as its first official act, I hereby vote myself President, Royal HiRess Highness, Grand Poobah, and Empor-Ass Emeritus!
                  _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                  ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Andrew M Ward
                    • Apr 2005

Originally posted by wkhanna
                    OK...that's it........
                    I hereby announce the creation of the International Andrew M Ward Society of Secret FANatics,
                    from this day forth to be known by its acronym ‘I-AM-WARDSS-FAN’

Also, as its first official act, I hereby vote myself President, Royal HiRess Highness, Grand Poobah, and Empor-Ass Emeritus!

Secret fanatics?
                    Apparently the secret is out!

The small but fervent secret society of Ward fanatics has hit critical mass, member ship Qty. 1

:W

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"