X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tophertytaztre
    • May 2006

question regarding RSP-1068

Good afternoon everyone, I like so many others have been reading through this forum for awhile and hope your infinite wisdom can help me. I currently have a Denon AVR-1905 and am using a RB-1080 for my front channels (all other channels driven by the 1905). I'm trying to decide what I want to add next and am thinking about a 1068 but that depends on the answer to my question. Is it possible to route all channels except for the front L/R from the 1068 to the Denon 1905 (which has ext.in inputs)? Thus eliminating my having to buy another amp this month? Or am I better off continuing to use the Denon as a pre-amp and just add two more 1080's for now and upgrade to the 1068 later?

Thanks
    Kraig
    Kraig
  • gd
    • Jan 2003

Sure.

But consider this option, for less money and arguably better performance... how about a Rotel receiver -- RSX-1056, or -1057 with HDMI -- to be used with your 1080?... then you'd have decidedly beefier Rotel amplification all around, and you could find a new home for the Denon.

As a pre/pro, you lose very little wth an RSX-1056, compared to the RSP-1068.
    greg (gd to you)
    Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
    production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• aphexist
      • Jan 2004

The problem with routing the pre-outs of the 1068 to the inputs of the Denon is that you will have two separate volume controls that you will have to manage constantly, throwing your levels and calibration totally out of whack.

In order to make a smooth upgrade, you might consider upgrading the rest of the channels to external amps before you get a new pre-amp.

Comment

• tophertytaztre
        • May 2006

GD,

Thanks for your input. That was a route I was considering but wasn't sure if it would be a waste of money since I'm trying to get back to separates. And I didn't realize that the 1056 / 1057 were fairly close to the 1068 in terms of pre/pro performance.

Aphexist,

Thanks for your comments as well. I had not considered the issue you brought up regarding volume control. And it sounds like it would be more trouble than it's worth.

Now I have to decide which way I want to go. I will definitely be purchasing the RCD-1072 tomorrow but other than that need to sleep on it. Thanks again for your input.
        Kraig

Comment

• nikos
          • Dec 2005

Originally posted by gd
          Sure.

As a pre/pro, you lose very little wth an RSX-1056, compared to the RSP-1068.
          In your opinion what "little" do you lose?

Nikos
          Classe SSP-800, Classe CA-5200, B&W 803D, B&W HTM2D, JL Audio Fathom f113 Subwoofer, Rotel RMB-1077(for sale), Oppo DV-983H, Panasonic PT-AE900U Xbox360, Sony PS3, Samsung 8000 Series 55" LCD, Klipsch promedia 5.1 ultra for PC

Comment

• gd
            • Jan 2003

Measurable, if not audible, noise floor... a compromise that comes from a prepro having to share space with an amp and tuner.

Otherwise, their sonic attributes are the same... to me, anyway, especially taking the price difference into consideration.

If that noise floor difference is audible, I can't detect it... but the showroom comparisons I've made can't be considered definitive, either... it might be more evident at home in a more controlled environment.

Again, strictly my opinion, based largely on performance for this particular price point... others may discern greater differences between the 1068 / 1056.

When in doubt, audition.
            greg (gd to you)
            Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
            production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• grit
              • Jan 2005

I'd hold off on a pre/pro for a year (unless that new Rotel receiver works for you), at least until HDMI is integrated. Now, *I* personally am not a digital amp fan, but almost everyone else loves them. Consider the Rotel 1077 (7 channel), or at least give it a spin.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"