Center Linn AV5120
    Rear Linn Ninka
    Sub B&W ASW 650

Processor Rotel RSP-1570
    Amp Rotel RMB-1075
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Because THX certification doesn't really mean much and costs money. I'd rather they spent that money making a quality product rather than getting a mostly meaningless certification.

Also, just because they didn't pay to have it certified, doesn't mean it wouldn't pass
    Jason

Comment

• bulitnv
      • Mar 2006

THX is not a guage of quality. I can get a $300 Pioneer at my local Best Buy that says THX on it.

Comment

• Audiophiliac
        • Apr 2006

Exactly as mentioned. THX certification for receivers is meeting some standards such as power, distortion, channel separation, etc....a bunch of measurements THX decided would be a minimum for a nice theater. Also a THX certified receiver or pre/pro has the THX EQ and DSP in it. Just because something doesnt have the logo on it doesnt mean it wont pass the test. The manufacturer has to pay THX for the licensing. Denon only has THX certification on the 4306 and up I believe. Does this mean the 3806 or 2806 wouldnt pass the test? No. It just means that Denon didnt find it cost effective enough to justify certifying those models.

A lot of people dont even know what the THX standards are and therefore dont know what to think of something that is or isnt certified. Basically if you want a THX certified theater, ALL of your components need to be certified. There are requirements for speakers like dispersion patterns, SPL capabilities, etc.

Best to go to THXs' website and do some research.

Comment

• bleeding ears
          • Nov 2004

I had a THX certified receiver that cost $3990 Australian, it sounded like crap.

I wont mention what brand because it is not relevant to this thread.

I compared it to a Rotel 1055 non THX receiver which was a lot cheaper and the Rotel won easy.

Thats all I have to say.

Comment

• boxer82003
            • Apr 2006

well i hope rotel is all that its cracked up to be loved my harman kardon 535 (now a 635) sold it for a denon 3805 miss my harman it was so nice now thinking of the rotel rsx-1056 or the 1067
            Main Linn Ninka
            Center Linn AV5120
            Rear Linn Ninka
            Sub B&W ASW 650

Processor Rotel RSP-1570
            Amp Rotel RMB-1075

Comment

• gianni
              • Nov 2002

If you'd like another opinion on why the 1067 is so good see the group receiver test in this month's Perfect Vision magazine. They were quite fond of it.

Comment

• DL86
                • Sep 2005

THX is rubbish. Means nothing at all in my book. Do you see the big krell amplifiers THX certified? Hmmmm they can't be good since their not THX cerified LOL

Comment

• shadow
                  • Dec 2003

Denon is inferior in sound quality to any Rotel or Arcam receiver I have heard by a large margin. THX is a pointless expense for a receiver as good as the 1067, but adds to the cost with no comparable improvement of sound quality or user value.

Comment

• llubon
                    • Apr 2006

Here is a link to a very indepth look at THX and then decide for yourself.

home theater, high fidelity, high end, amplifiers, receivers, projectors, movies, vcrs, cds, laserdiscs, stereo, surround sound, dolby digital, dts, subwoofer, speakers, reviews, video, audio, dvd, digital audio, tubes, consumer electronics, home entertainment, preamplifiers, processors, cables, TVs, AC line conditioners, velodyne, monitor audio, sunfire, paradigm, meridian, nordost, exact power, redgum, osborn, m&k, mirage, perpetual technologies, anthem, sonic frontiers, htdv, dss

Comment

• drsiebling
                      • Jan 2006

I went from a THX Ultra certified Pioneer Elite to the RSX-1056. I'm not missing that THX certification in ANY way. I'll take quality over a fancy certification any day of the week.

I guess you should decide what sounds better to your ears. Then make that buying decision.

If THX does it for you (and it certainly does for some people) than go that route. Otherwise, I think you'll really enjoy the Rotel sound regardless of its THX status. ESPECIALLY on 2 channel material.

-B

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"