X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dharris
    • Apr 2006

New / Old

Hi all! I have been using the Rotel RB-870BX for years now. It has been running strong since I have bought it. I never turn the power off as well.
    My question is this, should I stay with this amp or look into new versions.
    Are the new ones any better? I have also been running my Rotel 930AX with it for just as many years.

Thanks in advance,
    Don
    TV - Mitsubishi 52" HDTV WD-52526
    A/V Receiver - NAD T753
    DVD - Denon HDMI 557
    HD Source - Dish Network VIP622 DVR
    Speakers,
    Main - B&W DM602 S3
    CC - B&W LCR60 S3
    Rear - B&W DM600 S3
    Sub - Def Tech PRO Sub 100 TL
    2 Chan Audio
    Amp - Rotel RB-870BX
    CD - Rotel930AX
    Speakers - MB Quart QLS530
    Sub - Def Tech PRO Sub 100 TL
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Hi Don, and welcome to the forum!

I noticed that you are also looking for a speaker upgrade too, by your post on the B&W Club Forum. I am a big fan of the older 9 series Rotel gear, I’ve had two RB980's for thirteen years. I feel if you are thinking of getting better speakers, you will need a little more power to get the SQ that they are capable of delivering. Under powering a speaker like a B&W is like having a Porsche with a Yugo engine. Oh, it will still look good, but will never deliver what it capable of on the road.

I might suggest upgrading to one of the newer 10 series Rotels, and if your considering HT also, your 870 will perform just fine for your rear surrounds or possibly bridged for powering a center. I’m known as a bit of a bottom feeder around hear, and so would also suggest considering buying a used amp. Amps are probably one of the safest components of buy used, as they tend to be fairly durable when they are on the mid to upper range of the quality hierarchy, IMHO.

Regardless, I like your idea of staying with separate components, as this allows flexibility for future upgrades.
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"