X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • razzbo56
    • Jan 2006

Just bought Rotel again !

Well guys I had to do it again. I already own a RSX-1056,but today I went crazy. Bought me a new RSX-1057,RMB-1066,pair of Dynaudio audience 72's,dynaudio 122 center, and a pair of Dynaudio 52's.This is all going in my home theater room with the new Panasonic TH-50PX60U plasma.

:T :T :T
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

Not planning on using the RMB-1066 for biamping are you? It's not really best suited for home theater apps and probably wouldn't give you much gains.

Kevin D.

Comment

• miner
      • Mar 2005

Which Home Theater Store did you go to?

Comment

• razzbo56
        • Jan 2006

I am going to use the amp to drive 3 pairs of speakercraft aim 8's in three different rooms. Home Theater store in Houston Texas off of BAY AREA BLVD.is where I got the stuff.I got the Panasonic from B.B. Hey guys for three pairs of speakers do I set the speakercraft impedence matched volume controls on 2x ?

Comment

• Audiophiliac
          • Apr 2006

If you have one speaker per amp channel, then you would leave the VC set to 1x. The impedance matching only protects the amp if you have a lower than optimal load on it, i.e. more than one pair of speakers per pair of amp channels.

Comment

• razzbo56
            • Jan 2006

Des anyone here have the RDV 1050 DVD player ??

Comment

• Kevin D
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Oct 2002

Yup, what do you need to know?

Kevin D.

Comment

• razzbo56
                • Jan 2006

Kevin it really gets great reviews,and I am going to use it for both DVD's and CD's.Is it worth the higher cost ?? Also what are some good cables for connecting the receiver to the amp ?
                Thanks

Comment

• shadow
                  • Dec 2003

Why did you get the 1057? I understand it is the same as the 1056 except for the addition of HDMI video connections.

Comment

• Kevin D
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Oct 2002

Originally posted by razzbo56
                    Kevin it really gets great reviews,and I am going to use it for both DVD's and CD's.Is it worth the higher cost ?? Also what are some good cables for connecting the receiver to the amp ?
                    Thanks
                    For the price, there are better players out there. Of course you have to count looks and a better warranty in there. If you're not going to use DVDA, the 1040 is essentially the same thing.

Since the amp is only for multi-room, some decent mid to low priced cabled should be fine. Contact 'Lex' here on the forum and he should have some CatCables to recommend.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Jraducha
                      • Aug 2004

Well guys I had to do it again. I already own a RSX-1056,but today I went crazy. Bought me a new RSX-1057,RMB-1066,pair of Dynaudio audience 72's,dynaudio 122 center, and a pair of Dynaudio 52's.This is all going in my home theater room with the new Panasonic TH-50PX60U plasma.

Nice purchase on the dyn speakers...

Comment

• mike c
                        • Dec 2005

the pictures never show how deep the fins are:

checking if an external amp really is better than a receiver's built in amps.

Comment

• gianni
                          • Nov 2002

Mike C,

Nice pictures of some nice equipment. BTW, what is the verdict? I know the 1066 is on the low end of Rotel's amps but I'm still curious. Don't forget to give it a little time.

Comment

• razzbo56
                            • Jan 2006

Thanks for the pictures. It may be on the low end,but it will do what I need it to do.

Comment

• mike c
                              • Dec 2005

I bought the 1066 for pipe-in music, I plan to power 6 pairs of ceiling mounted speakers (with Impedance Matching VC's of course) with this guy and decided to play with it first.

verdict: I have found the low end that I did not know I was missing. (actually I did, but thought nothing of it) my floorstanders can now boom the bass in 2.0 setup. Before, it was just thuds ... now there's a little bit of chest thump.

Comment

• gianni
                                • Nov 2002

Thanks for the pictures. It may be on the low end,but it will do what I need it to do.
                                Please don't take my comment the wrong way - we just don't get lots of folks here clamoring for a review on this piece. I'm sure it'a a nice amp, and I would consider buying one if I were looking for a distribution amp. Enjoy.

Comment

• razzbo56
                                  • Jan 2006

No problem. I am going to use it for the same purpose.If I run only three pairs of speakers will I set the impedence matched volume controls on 1x ?? I am new to the whole house audio thing guys,so any help will be great ! Thanks

Comment

• mike c
                                    • Dec 2005

razzbo, yes 1x.

Comment

• kvilia
                                      • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Kevin D
                                      Not planning on using the RMB-1066 for biamping are you? It's not really best suited for home theater apps and probably wouldn't give you much gains.

Kevin D.
                                      Kevin,

Why do you say it's not suited for HT? I was looking into purchasing Marantz SR4001 Dolby Digital EX®/DTS ES® Surround Receiver along with RMB-1066 to drive fronts and center bi-amped at 150 per channel. This solution would keep me under $1300. If it's no go, what setup would you recommend not to exceed $1500?

Thanks,

Ilia

Comment

• rick c
                                        • Aug 2004

Why did you buy the 1057 it's the same as the 1056 except for the hdmi? Are you just going to use the 1056 somewhere else?

Comment

• Kevin D
                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                          • Oct 2002

Originally posted by kvilia
                                          Kevin,

Why do you say it's not suited for HT? I was looking into purchasing Marantz SR4001 Dolby Digital EX®/DTS ES® Surround Receiver along with RMB-1066 to drive fronts and center bi-amped at 150 per channel. This solution would keep me under $1300. If it's no go, what setup would you recommend not to exceed $1500?

Ilia
                                          The 1066 is designed for multi-room applications. The sound isn't going to compare to their larger amps.

You won't get 150 watts to each speaker bi-amping it. If you bridged the 1066 to three channels you would get 150watts, but you also increase the distortion; this further decreases the sound quality. Bridging the amp also makes it unstable into lower ohm loads. Your speakers can't drop much lower then 8ohms or the amp will go into protection mode.

Unless you needed 7 channels of power, I think the 1057 will be a much better solution and still be under $1500.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Boombox
                                            • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Kevin D
                                            Not planning on using the RMB-1066 for biamping are you? It's not really best suited for home theater apps
                                            Kevin D.
                                            I don't agree with you on this one...

I think it's well suited to HT applications if you plan on bi-amping the centre channel and also bi-amping the L/R surrounds....60Watts to both the hi and low freq. can do little harm, but only provide a fuller sound....
                                            Regards :T,

Boom....a.k.a...."The Box"

Comment

• sarsi
                                              • Nov 2004

Hey nice setup, especially those Dynaudio Btw, Dynaudio does not believe in bi-amp, i.e. all the Dynaudio speakers in any price range have only one pair of connectors . But it help save some $$$
                                              Last edited by sarsi; 13 December 2006, 03:51 Wednesday.

Comment

• htsteve
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Boombox
                                                I don't agree with you on this one...

I think it's well suited to HT applications if you plan on bi-amping the centre channel and also bi-amping the L/R surrounds....60Watts to both the hi and low freq. can do little harm, but only provide a fuller sound....

I agree. I have a 1066 for my rears and second zone. I am bi-amping my rear L/R surrounds B&W 705's with 4 channels. The remaining two channels are powering my patio speakers. I am quite impressed with the performance of the 705's in this configuration. The sound is more detailed and complete than I had been expecting.

kvilia,

Your idea of Marantz/1066 sounds reasonable. However, I would echo Kevin's suggestion to look at a Rotel 1057. You would get equal power with the same sonic characteristics to all channels (as opposed to a receiver and external amp combo from different manufacturers). Finally, in my opinion, the sound and processing is better in the Rotel.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• chrispy35
                                                  • Feb 2004

Hell, I'm cheap and I'm using an RMB-1066 for all channels of my 6.1 setup. Never seen it clip and never had problems with lack of volume. :T

Chris P.

Comment

• lvhung
                                                    • Jun 2005

So complicated with 1057 paired with 1066
                                                    Why should you choose AVR 1067 instead

Comment

• Boombox
                                                      • Oct 2005

Originally posted by chrispy35
                                                      Hell, I'm cheap and I'm using an RMB-1066 for all channels of my 6.1 setup. Never seen it clip and never had problems with lack of volume. :T

Chris P.
                                                      I would not call it cheap, but sensible . The RMB1066 is a wolf in sheeps clothing. Its not an "entry-level" multichannel amp from Rotel. This beast consumes 700Watts of power (100Watts less than the RMB1075 and 200Watts more than the "legendary" RB1080). Even if you were to drive all channels at 60Watts, you will still have 340Watts in reserve for your huge explosions. This tells me that the 1066 power amp can potentially deliver 100Watts with all channels driven...

I don't own this amp, but it is on my 2007 wishlist.... :T
                                                      Regards :T,

Boom....a.k.a...."The Box"

Comment

Working...
                                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                      Search Result for "|||"