• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bulitnv
    • Mar 2006

Question on 1068

Guys, new here, been looking for some time. Just picked up new:

Monster HTS 5100 Line Condiitoner

I understand that I can somehow use a "bypass" mode for a cleaner 2 channel sound. I have read through the archives here and really can't find a clear explination of how exactly to do this.
    I listen to my CD's through my DVD (1060), which is hooked up to the 1068 via component cables (for the vid) and a digital cable (for the sound)
    All of my cables are Audioquest cables.
    Do I need to hook up an addional set of cables somehow? Is there a "bypass" button?

Please school me.

Thanks for your help,

Chris
  • bulitnv
    • Mar 2006

I think I answered my own question.

It sounds like all I need to do is connect cables to the multi input on the 1068, hit the multi in button and I am good.

Does that sound right?

Chris

Comment

• Kevin D
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Oct 2002

That would be the best bet, as this would enable you to get everything out of DVD-A discs as well. This isn't the 'bypass' mode everyone talks about, but it's the same thing. The multi-in's are always in bypass mode.

All the analog RCA inputs allow for 'bypass' mode. It's a sound field selection just like Stereo, Pro-Logic, etc... Should be able to select it with the mode button.

Kevin D.

Comment

• bulitnv
        • Mar 2006

This should give me the best 2 channel sound possible for musical reproduction, correct?

Chris

Comment

• Kevin D
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Oct 2002

It will give you the purist 2ch sound possible. Whether you think it's the best remains to be seen.

Kevin D.

Comment

• bulitnv
            • Mar 2006

....right, purest......we shall see. I will report back. Currently I just think it's missing something......

Comment

• nikos
              • Dec 2005

Not ecactly an answer since we dont quite know what's "missing" but it seems that the Rotel gear takes a little bit of break in time....but I doubt you should be finding the musicality of the units lacking from the get go...

Hope you find what's the problem...

Nick
              Classe SSP-800, Classe CA-5200, B&W 803D, B&W HTM2D, JL Audio Fathom f113 Subwoofer, Rotel RMB-1077(for sale), Oppo DV-983H, Panasonic PT-AE900U Xbox360, Sony PS3, Samsung 8000 Series 55" LCD, Klipsch promedia 5.1 ultra for PC

Comment

• bleeding ears
                • Nov 2004

Bulitnv, to get bypass mode on the 1050 remote, slide the cover down and press the 2ch button.

This will switch it to bypass mode and back to stereo again, youmust however be using analog and not the digital input.

You dont have to use the multi input but as Kev said if you are going with SACD or DVD- Audio you have to use the multi.

As far as sound quality goes, let your own ears be the judge. It will depend on many factors including what speakers you use, the recording, the room and how you prefer the sound.

I sometimes find I get a bigger or fuller sound in bypass but then again sometimes it is too bass heavy even with the speakers set to small. Not sure why. Remember in bypass mode there is no signal sent to the sub.

Also you need to take some time to adjust the 1068 settings correctly.
                Just when I think I have got it right, I try another setting and find improvement.

The settings you choose can depend on the disc type ie dvd or cd and on the particular recording. eg some need more bass, some need more treble, some are just right.

After months I am still playing with settings often.

Comment

• rdram
                  • Mar 2005

I looked at the back panel drawing of the RDV1060 and if it works the same as my Denon, you could run a separate set of analog cables from the stereo output jacks on the 1060, run them to the CD input of the 1068, and then have the option of switching the CD input between bypass, stereo (which would power up your sub) and all the other music modes...DTS Neo 6, DPLII, etc. If you use multi jacks , as Kevin said, your always in bypass. I don't know if the D/A converters in the 1060 are superior to those used in the 1068 though. Experiment.

Rich

Comment

• bulitnv
                    • Mar 2006

Does running the sound through the "CD" inputs have the same sound as running through the "multi in" in bypass mode?

I hooked a set of Audioquest cables to the multi channel in last night. Wow. The music is much brighter, fuller. Exactly what I was looking for. It also brings the sub on, which doesn't happen in 2 channel mode without me going to the OSD and making that selection. I can then turn down the sub with the remote control to suit my liking.

If I ran through the "CD" mode, would the sub still come into play, or would it not come on?

Chris

Comment

• bulitnv
                      • Mar 2006

I just tried to hook through the CD inputs. Sounds exactly the same as the Digital in sounds. Using the Multi In sounds far superior. :T

Comment

• Kevin D
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Oct 2002

If you hook it to the CD inputs, you would also need to change the mode to BYPASS for it to be equivalent to the multi-ins.

Kevin D.

Comment

• bulitnv
                          • Mar 2006

Kevin, i think I just read that in the manual, so long as I use the analog input, it should give me the bypass option. So I need to decide whether or not to go that route which doesn't allow the sub to come on unless I change the settings on the OSD, or use the multi in, have the sub come on, then adjust with the sub button on the remote, to my liking.

I am going to have to test both options for several sessions before I decide.

Chris

Comment

• grit
                            • Jan 2005

Originally posted by bulitnv
                            I just tried to hook through the CD inputs. Sounds exactly the same as the Digital in sounds. Using the Multi In sounds far superior. :T
                            Has anyone else had this experience? I don't understand why 2-ch CD in bypass would sound different than the multi-in 2-ch inputs.

Comment

• Kevin D
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Oct 2002

Originally posted by grit
                              Has anyone else had this experience? I don't understand why 2-ch CD in bypass would sound different than the multi-in 2-ch inputs.
                              If I followed him right, he didn't turn bypass on when he went to the analog CD input. I think he's trying that tonight.

Kevin D.

Comment

• grit
                                • Jan 2005

Ok, that makes more sense, since "stereo" has to go back through the DACs on the 1068.

Comment

• bulitnv
                                  • Mar 2006

Yes Kevin, you are correct. I tried the analog Bypass option through the CD inputs last night. It didn't work!? If my 1060 was off, I could change the 1068 to bypass mode, as soon as the DVD player powered up, the 1068 would not let me choose bypass mode, I could go to 2 channel, but pressing that button again got me nothing, almost like the 1068 was reading something from the 1060 and locking up the bypass option. Any ideas as to why this may happen?

Chris

Comment

• rdram
                                    • Mar 2005

On the Input Setup Menu, go to Listen:CD. Input should be set to analog, default mode set to Bypass. It should work. Pressing the 2ch button on the remote will cycle between bypass and stereo modes. Maybe your default input is set to one of the coaxial digital inputs.

RD

Comment

• grit
                                      • Jan 2005

You did have the analog inputs hooked up from the DVD player to the 1068's CD input, correct?

Comment

• bulitnv
                                        • Mar 2006

Yes, the analog cables out of the 1060(dvd) were hooked to the analog cd input of the 1068. I could get music, in 2 channel mode, pressing the button a second time should have brought up analog bypass, it didn't. Sounds like I need to go into the OSD, Input setup menu, select cd, then select analog.....sound right?

If so, I will try after work.

Chris

Comment

• bulitnv
                                          • Mar 2006

OK, that worked.
                                          All options have been tried and tested.

I prefer the multi in method. I like the sub coming on.
                                          I think I may prefer more bass than most.

I thank everyone for their help.

Chris

Comment

• grit
                                            • Jan 2005

Can you comment on any differences (if any) you noticed in the quality of the music? Soundstage, clarity, separation?

Comment

• bulitnv
                                              • Mar 2006

Grit, there is no difference in sound between the multi in and the CD in bypass mode. The only difference was the fact that the sub comes on.

Compared to just using 2 channel mode, using the multi in didn't bring the soundstage up at all in my opinion, but it definately had better clarity. The music just sounded more crispy. Still warm, but crisp without being too bright....................does that make sense?

Comment

• bluesfan
                                                • Nov 2005

Cuse, me but forget playing CDs thru your dvd player. Yet to hear one that sounds as good as an average cd player.

Comment

• bulitnv
                                                  • Mar 2006

Your right, but my budget allowed for one or the other. I am trying to get the best sound out of what I currently have. CD player is on the way. But not until after my center channel and surrounds are upgraded.

Comment

• gianni
                                                    • Nov 2002

Originally posted by bulitnv

I have found this to be the case in most of these 10 series pre/pros and receivers. I don't know if I would call it far superior but better for sure.

Comment

• bulitnv
                                                      • Mar 2006

I found there to be quite a difference. Even my wife could hear the difference, now thats saying something :T

Comment

Working...
                                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                      Search Result for "|||"