X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shades
    • Mar 2005

rb 1090 owners

Can anyone who owns a rb 1090, measure the height of the amp without the feet. I 'm asking because im in the market for one, and the info i get from the rotel site is that they are 9.5 inches high which is .5 to high for my current rack. I really want to get this amp and not the new D-class amp.

Also, is it safe to run this amp without the feet?

Thx to all for the help

Peter
    B&W, McIntosh, Rotel, PS3, OPPO, Pioneer, Cat Cables, Sound Anchors
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

According to the CAD drawings, it's 8.7" tall without the feet. 9.32" with feet.

Probably wouldn't be a problem to run without the feet. Getting the casters off the bottom might be fun though.

Kevin D.

Comment

• shades
      • Mar 2005

Thx for the quick reply Kevin.

It's not just a philips head screwdriver to take the feet off?

Peter

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
        Super Senior Member
        • Oct 2003

Shades,

I'd think carefully about removing the feet.. They lift the amp up so as to let in important airflow, in the bottom and out the top to cool the amp from its internal vertical heatsinks (these are the real ones!). Without this the amp in more likely to overheat if played loud - creating either thermal shutdown or expensive failure over time due to overheated components seffering thermal stress...

Geoff

Comment

• shades
          • Mar 2005

Geoff,

The amp would be open to the back and both sides, and i will still lift the amp just not as high as it originally is. My problem is i have exactly 9 inches. The stand is a VTI so it's open on all sides.

Do you still think this would create a heat problem?

Comment

• Kevin D
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Oct 2002

Originally posted by shades
            Thx for the quick reply Kevin.

It's not just a philips head screwdriver to take the feet off?

Peter
            I'm sure the feet are, but the 1090 has two casters in the back to help position it. I've never looked at removing those, might be simple..might not.

How is the shelf support made? You could remove the feet and space it up a .25", but if that puts the top right under the next shelf you've still got problems.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Kevin97225
              • Oct 2004

I just measured both of my RB-1090 and they both are exactly 9.0 inches tall. When the RB-1090 was originally out during it's first runs, it was taller and lesser quality binding post, later Rotel made it a little shorter and gave it nice upgraded binding post. I have the newer version that is 9 inches tall with feet/wheels.

Comment

• shades
                • Mar 2005

My shelves can be configured to go higher. There are spikes that can be adjusted to make them taller but i don't think there is .5, maybe .3 taller. In terms of the height at 9 inches, i still have 1.5 underneath it's just not useable because there is a support bar the goes diagonally across. Due you still think i would have a problem?

Comment

• grit
                  • Jan 2005

I'm sure specs suggest you run the amp with a few inches of clearance on all sides. I'd rethink your amp purchase or placement in this case. If you had an inch or so above, you might be ok. No sides/back is encouraging, but you do need some room for air flow above too. Can you put that shelf above it up a a bit?

Comment

• shades
                    • Mar 2005

Grit,

I've seen people stack on their amps and have no problems. My front, sides and back are all open. I do have 1.5 inch of space on top just not useable because of one support bar that goes diagonally. If i can get another .3 to .5 by adjusting the spikes, that will make it a total of approx. 1.8 to 2 inches.

If the newer ones are 9 inches like kevin97225 said, i should be ok.

What are your thoughts?

Comment

• Zzap
                      • Sep 2003

I'd somehow try to get some space at the top AND bottom so of the 2 inches I'd have an inch at the bottom and one at the top
                      /John

Comment

• wrekkah
                        • Mar 2005

Are you really in love with your stand this much? I'm not familiar with your stand but if it were me, I would buy a new audio stand to properly space the 1090 and give it the air it needs and sell the old stand on Audiogon to recoups some of the cost.

Cheers,
                        Aaron

Comment

• shades
                          • Mar 2005

It's temporary, until i buy my new house (9 months approx. )and get in to the dedicated room. I really don't want to buy another shelf. Here is a link to the stand to give you an idea of what i'm dealing with.

I hope this don't break any forum rules, if it does, mods please feel free to delete.

Peter

Comment

• babar
                            • Jan 2005

For an RB-1090 and an RMB-1095 with height = 240mm (according to www.rotel.com) is the following stand reccomended:

The 2 shelves shelf have a height of 242mm each and is cutting it close but is the only stand which I can find locally (of reasonable quality) in Pakistan which fits.

Are there any other reccomendations for fitting it.

The other soundstyle option is:

Has more height at 325 on the middle shelf but will it take both units side by side? I cna't tell by the pics and would help if someone is using it too as several people on the forum appear familiar with the brand.

thanks.

Comment

• babar
                              • Jan 2005

This one too might work if the shelf is adjusted but would leave little room on the top shelf:

any thoughts would be appreciated.

Comment

• Joey_V
                                • Jul 2005

Measured mine.... 9.25" to the dot with feet.
                                Analog: VPI Scoutmaster w/ Steel Delrin clamp + Dynavector 20XH cart
                                Digital: SB3 + PS Audio Digital Link III DAC
                                System: Cary Audio SLP-98P Tube Preamplifier w/ Sylvanias -> Plinius SA102 Class A amplifier -> Martin Logan SUMMITS/Strata Minis -> 8O (me)

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"