X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • donk93953
    • Mar 2006

Push my B & W 803s's...Rotel Purchase Suggestions

OK, Hurricane Wilma ate my Rotel RA 1070. So, Im in the market to push my B & W 803s's.
    Suggestions?
    Should I embrace the RX 1052..or go seperate with the RC 1070 & RB 1080? Or is the RB 1080 overkill?
    I listen to jazz, classical, and opera
  • Kobus
    • Aug 2005

Depending on budget, seperate will be best for the future etc...

Nothing can be an overkill for your 803s's. In the rotel lineup the "best" bet currently for stereo must surely be, 1092 folowed by 1090 $ 1080. For ht, throw the 1077 in there.

Kobus

Comment

• Djas_Puhr
      • Jun 2005

Hi Don,

I've driven a pair of Nautilus 803 with the Rotel 1080 in the past with good results. In some respects, I don't think that the 1052 would make the most of your 803S.

If you'd like to look into other integrated amp solutions, I'd check out the BelCanto eVo2i_gen2 and the Krell KAV-400xi (one of my other posts references a bunch of reviews of this Krell if you want to look them up). Both are readily available through audiogon (www.audiogon.com) in the $1600 to $2000 range. Either of these choises would likely outperform Rotel separates (with the possible exception of their new digital line which I've never heard).

Enjoy!

Mj
      "Don't mock the speakers... They have you surrounded." :

Comment

• stantheman2
        • Apr 2004

I heard the 802Ds at my local dealer driven by the latest Classe 100 w/ch integrated amp (don't remember the model #). This was in a large room, maybe 18' x 24'. While we didn't crank it to earbleed level, the sound was awesome.

Comment

• spinners
          • Feb 2006

Hello Donk,

It seems you are a fan of 2 channel audio, then I would suggest RC 1070+ RB 1070.
          You can also consider RB 1080. Clean detailed power in both amps. RB 1080 didn't justify twice the cost for me. Then again, I live in Europe, don't know about prices in U.S.
          RSX1056, RB1070, RDV1050, RCD 1072, Dali IKON 2, 2x REL Quake II

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
            Super Senior Member
            • Oct 2003

Originally posted by Kobus
            Nothing can be an overkill for your 803s's. In the rotel lineup the "best" bet currently for stereo must surely be, 1092 folowed by 1090 $ 1080. For ht, throw the 1077 in there.
            I agree 100%

I have owned the 1080, 1090 and now the 1077 and I'd be seriously tempted by the new RB-1092s when they come out - they will eat the 803S...

Geoff

Comment

• donk93953
              • Mar 2006

Gracias...I took the bite & here's how it looks....

Thank you for your sage advice. I ended up pushing the B & W 803S with a Rotel 1080 amp and a Rotel 1070 Pre Amp....I'm a happy boy...
              Here's what the set-up looks like and the view they have....:-)

Comment

• donk93953
                • Mar 2006

I'll try again to attach the photos

2nd try.......
                Attached Files

Comment

• shadow
                  • Dec 2003

You might want to read Joey's thread elsewhere in which he was not impressed with the digital Rotels. If it was my money I would get the 1090 and not look back. Last thing you want with the metal dome tweeters in the 803s is a bright amp which Joey heard from the digital Rotels. The 1090 has been a wonderful amp for years and will continue to be toward the top of the amps out there and at a bargain price. Listen to both if possible. YMMV.

Comment

• Kevin D
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Oct 2002

Originally posted by shadow
                    You might want to read Joey's thread elsewhere in which he was not impressed with the digital Rotels. Listen to both if possible. YMMV.
                    Looks to me like he went with the 1080..

Kevin D.

Comment

• donk93953
                      • Mar 2006

Yup, I went with the 1080 amp. I listened to the higher end amps from Rotel and I couldnt tell the difference at the various volumes I listen at. Of course, my hearing is shot to heck anyway after playing in too many rock bands....

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"