X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Ok, I've hit the wall over Club Rotel!

Guys, Club Rotel is only PART of HTGuide. Some of you seem to think allHTG is about is Club Rotel. It happens again and again and again. Non related to Rotel topics being posted in Rotel. The fact is, we need you posting in the other areas.

Let me re-iterate:

ONLY Rotel topics belong in Club Rotel!

Some of you could help HTGuide to be better than what it is now, by posting in the other areas as well as Club Rotel. Instead of participating widely at other forums, then coming here only for your dose of Rotel. That's really using HTG. We want you to use it, but we want you to be FULL members, not just limited members.

Then others of you have not only followed the posting rules, but have become true HTG'ers, instead of just club rotel'ers, and are joining into other areas. To you we say thaink you.

But to those others of you that are only seeing your "community" as Club Rotel:
    I want to remind you, that Andrew and Jason are limited by how much REAL support they can give, while having to continually police the area, moving unrelated topics, keeping topics on focus, etc...

So, by posting in the right area, you are actually helping the moderators to do a better job focusing on the REAL issues at hand. We've been pretty casual about this important issue to date, really we have. But if the trend continues, we are going to be forced to take stronger actions. We don't want to beat you guys up. But we do want you to be aware of exactly what posting in the wrong area does. We want you to embrace not only Club Rotel, but all of HTG. You might be surprised at the resources you find in other areas, if you only look, and post.

Thank you.
    Doug
    HTG Owner

Cable Guy DVD Collection
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

I've got to agree. The only way the other areas will get more traffic is by people posting in them. Also as Doug pointed out the other areas have tons of information and knowledgeable people that could be of great help to you but only if you go there. Not to mention that being that Club Rotel is quite busy, it doesn't need to be cluttered with extra, non-related posts.

This is a great forum, with even greater members. You should explore all it has to offer, not just Club Rotel.

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
    Jason

Comment

• Lex
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Apr 2001

Thanks Jason.

A good example of the lack of participation is a thread I started in AV Chalet inviting members to tell us a bit about themselves. Now, I know some people have privacy issues with that. But then others don't as long as it's kept somewhat general. Heck, some don't mind telling everything though.

Anyway, 11 people, including myself have posted to this thread, and 3/4 of them are moderators here. That's saying, either you think it's a dumb topic, or your just flat not going there to read or maybe you are one of the few that would tell us, but then would have to kill us. I don't know. I know it's disappointing for me as an owner to see the lack of participation in something so simple as telling us a bit about you.

Did you know we have a member very close to Hollywood involved in one of the animation companies I think? Brandon. He posted interesting replies to a thread about Pixar and Disney that George started.

Have you seen the buzz in our front projection area? Many members that participate over there have added front projection in the last few months. It's interesting stuff with the advancements in projectors! How about spaced out? Ever want to build your own dedicated theater? We've got at least 2 moderators and an HTG Expert that have. You should check out their experiences!

Club Rotel is a great reason to be excited about HTG. All we are trying to say is, there's many many more if you only look instead of posting your general HT stuff someplace else, and coming here only for Club Rotel. Then while your looking, I'm willing to bet that DVD player topic, or TV topic will be put in the right place in the future. We are thrilled to have you, even if it's only to participate in Club Rotel. But it could be so much more...

Regards,
      Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
      Doug

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

I didn't want to say anything before because I didn't want to appear non-appreciative of the forum, but is there any reason that this forum is one of the slowest forums I've ever been to?

For me to view any other area besides Club Rotel it would take me all night. I'm on high speed cable modem and 95% of all sites work like thay should. For some reason HTG takes from 10-30 seconds to load a page after I click a button.. To view a a forum, read 10 messages, and reply to 5 could take me up to 13 additional minutes then it really should..

Please understand I'm aware that sites cost money and you are not charging. So if it's just a bandwidth or speed problem with your host I don't mind. I just hope you understand why I and possibly others aren't actively participating in other forums.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Lex
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Apr 2001

Kevin, you raise a good point. Access times for me in TN are running 5-7 seconds a page on Sunday about 12:30 EST. Not ideal, but certainly tollerable. Occasionally you hit a peak period where things are a little slower. But as a rule, I go all over the forum, and dont' have to much difficulty. We are aware of a strange problem with D-link routers not being able to access the site.

Our server location is not ideal. I'll give you that. But we found ourselves loosing our ISP a few months ago, and Mats had to do something. There's been some discussion of doing something to improve it. But I do not know when that will be. You see, technically speaking, I'm as powerless as you guys with these problems. Mats is in control of all tech.

Lex
          Doug

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
            Super Senior Member
            • Oct 2003

Lex,

I'm in the 15-30 second per page category too (and that's on a 1.5Mb ADSL line) Very rarely I get 10 seconds - never less. It's the slowest forum and web site I use by a long shot - so to compensate I tend to have several windows open and start off lots of "open new links" and go and do my Emails etc in parallel with using HTGUIDE to stop me getting too frustrated.

I'd get your tech people to look at it - there's something "not quite right" about the site's performance and it would really improve the ease of use if it could be 4-5 times faster.

Geoff Costello

PS - Matt - you're right....

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍
            👎
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"