X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spiffnme
    • Apr 2003

2 channel integrated

I'm kicking around the idea of setting up a nice little 2 channel system in my bedroom. I don't want to spend much at all, since I'll not be doing any real critical listening. Mostly just some soft music at bedtime.

I have a pair of Snell Acoustics Type K/II speakers already. I'll be getting them re-foamed, and they'll be good as new. Right now I have an old, VERY cheap JVC Home Theatre receiver driving them. Yeah, it works, but I've been upgrading everything else in my house, and that crappy old receiver just rubs me the wrong way. (Yes, I know I'm nuts)

I've really enjoyed all my previous Rotel purchases, what do you suggest I look for in a used integrated amp? I'd like to keep the price at or below $150. Are there any Rotel integrateds that I should avoid. Any particular models that just stand out not being up to Rotel's usual standards? As far as sound goes, I generally prefer very detailed sound, but at the same time, this is for the bedroom/sleepy time, so mellow may be better suited for this application. The only input I'll need is for a CD player. No LP, cassette or anything else.

Thanks for the tips.

www.funnyfarmcomics.net
    All Daredevil, All the Time!
  • gd
    • Jan 2003

I can't help you much as far as a specific recommendation... but at $150, you'll necessarily be looking at used Rotels... if so, be aware that some of the older, less-powered models did not come with remotes -- something you may need in the bedroom.

I've got an RA-985BX integrated that's about 6 years old... was more than I wanted, but the lesser models had no remotes... no regrets, though -- the 985 is a beast at 150W x 2.

I think more current Rotel integrateds have remotes now, but you'll be looking at more money... maybe an older receiver is something to consider.

Not that I'd recommend ebay purchases, but here's an older integrated to look at: http://makeashorterlink.com/?C69A25147
    greg (gd to you)
    Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
    production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• spiffnme
      • Apr 2003

I'd forgotten that I started this thread...now about 5 months later, I've bought an integrated - and by total fluke, it's an RA-985BX!

I just received it today, and I'll get it hooked up some time this week. Hopefully it'll be exactly what I was looking for.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"