X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vafunkie
    • Jan 2004

1065 pre-out

Hello all,

I'm new here. I have a question on the pre-out on the 1065. Right now I'm using a Yamaha 2400 receiver. I connect the pre-out Front Left, Front Right to a Anthem MCA-20 200Wx2 Amp. Center and two surround speakers use the receiver's amp. But I feel that the pre-out of the Yamaha doesn't drive my Anthem amp very well.

I was wondering if I should replace the Yammy with the Rotel 1065 and use the same setup. Do you think the Rotel 1064 pre-out will drive my MCA-20 well ???

My setup:

Yamaha RVX2400
    Anthem MCA-20
    Paradigm Studio 100 v.3 (FR and FL)
    Paradigm Studio 570 v.3 (CC
    Paradigm Cinema 90 (SR and SL)

Thankx in advance,

Vafunkie

• aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Welcome vafunkie

The only way to tell would be to listen to it for yourself. I would say yes but then I've listened to both Yamaha and Rotel and know that I prefer Rotel processing. You have to decide if you do as well.

A couple of points:

The 1065 is no longer, it and the 1055 and 1066 are all being replaced towards the end of this month. Check out some of the threads in here about new Rotel products for more info.

If you're only using the receiver as a pre/pro and amp for surrounds/centre channels I'd recommend the new 1068 pre/pro and the RMB-1075 amp or Anthem equivelant amp to power the rest of the speakers. They would give you an extra 2 channels for 7.1, bi-amping or second zone. At the very least a decent 3-channel amp would work too. The 1068/1075 would cost about the same, (I think about $200 more) than the 1065 (or it's replacement) and the 1068 and a 3-channel amp might even be less than the 1065 and either option will give you better sound IMO.

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
    Jason

Comment

• vafunkie
      • Jan 2004

Good point !!! I didn't think of it before.
      I'm gonna get the 1068 when it comes out. Then i'll use my current amp to power the fronts and use the multi-channel input from the yammie to power the rest. That'll work until I got enough $ to get a 5-channel amp.

Thanks much !!!!

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

Your welcome

Just remember if you don't need the extra channels of amplification a 3-channel amp might be a better solution. Either you can get a more powerful amp for the same money as the 5-channel or save a little money. Not to mention that you'd probably get better results from it just because the power supply is only having to feed 3 amp channels rather than 5 all in one box. (One of the reasons 2-channel amps usually sound better than there multi-channel brothers )Though like I said before, the 5-channel will keep your options open for bi-amping, 7.1 or 2nd zone. Looks like a MCA-30 or 50 is in your future either way.... :P

I'm not overly familiar with Anthem gear but a quick look at their web page it looks like they've upgraded the power on all their amps from your 200WPC to 225WPC. Which means hooking up the 3 (or 5) channel amp to the front three speakers might be your best choice but as always, experiment and see which sounds better. Just remember to give the new amp a chance to break in or it will have no chance against your burned in 2-channel

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
        Jason

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"