X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

RSP-976 Feedback

I am on the verge of purchasing a used RSP-976.
    Does anyone have any opinions at all on this unit?

As I have mentioned previously, I am upgrading my 2 channel sys. to 5.1 while incorporating my trusty RB980BX. My budget for a pre/pro is $450, so while a 10 series would be my first choice, this unit is right at my affordable limit.

TIA, and please don't hold back, ...I'm a big boy...I can take it.....I think...
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio
  • gd
    • Jan 2003

Not sure, but probably few Rotel HT-ers on the forum have the 900-series gear, as it was the next series that really took off... so you might not get too many responses.

Myself, I only heard it in the stores, and of course it sounded great... I can't imagine you doing any better for the money... especially for your stated goal of a not-leading-edge HT system to be added on to your more critical 2-ch system.
    greg (gd to you)
    Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
    production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• greenjudas
      • Mar 2005

I was also looking at getting a 976 but was able to get a 1066 at a great price so I went with that.Have never listened to a 976 but apparently there is very little difference soundwise in stereo or DD/DTS.The differences that swayed me toward the 1066 was 5ch stereo and pro-logic2.Hope this helps

Comment

• wkhanna
        • Jan 2006

Originally posted by gd
        Not sure, but probably few Rotel HT-ers on the forum have the 900-series gear, as it was the next series that really took off... so you might not get too many responses.
        Back in 1994 when I went to audition amps for my 2 channel system, I had my best friends Bryston as a benchmark. (Ive been plagued by a Bose budget and Krell taste all my life.) That was when I first actually ‘listened’ to Rotel. The RB980BX that I decided on was heads and shoulders above any offering in every aspect within its price range. And back then; most Asian (as Rotel was known then) equipment was overlooked as anything near audiophile.

It has been very interesting, and satisfying in some ways, to come back into the audio market after 11-12 yrs and find Rotel where it is. Some may think that Rotel are a relatively New Kid on the Block; but to me, its like getting together with a dear old friend after many years.

Two easy chairs, two cigars, two single malts, and some Miles Davis, please.
        _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• wkhanna
          • Jan 2006

Originally posted by greenjudas
          Hope this helps
          Well of course it Helps! Every little bit helps. Thank You; and Thank You again!
          _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Mark_C.
            • Jan 2003

The 976 is more than capable. I had one for two years before trading for a 1066 (wife wanted pre/pro that better matched the 1075 amp).
            If you get a later made 976, it has component switching. I really didn't notice a difference between 976 other than looks and a little more flexibility in the 1066.

Comment

• ShadowZA
              Super Senior Member
              • Jan 2006

I still have my trusty RSP-976. I use it mostly for Stereo PCM (red book cd listening) and then DTS & Dolby-digital 5.1 for movies. I'm happy as it does a fine job imho. I've decided to keep it until the next generation of Blu-ray/HD-DVD or whatever comes out with dolby lossless technology, etc.

Comment

• wkhanna
                • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Mark_C.
                If you get a later made 976, it has component switching. I really didn't notice a difference between 976 other than looks and a little more flexibility in the 1066.
                How can you determing the manuf. date?
                Can the serial # be 'decoded'?

While studying the owners manual for the RSP 976 on Rotel’s web site, I noticed something on the view of the back panel. On the extreme right hand side, just above the AC power plug there is an ID graphic that says “ROTEL" and underneath identifies the model and power consumption. Just below, in small text it says “V2 .0". Does this mean it is a latter/different version?
                _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Mark_C.
                  • Jan 2003

I believe the later models were version 2.0. To tell them from the earlier models is easy: look for component input and output section on the back.

Comment

• wkhanna
                    • Jan 2006

Many thanks to all of you for your time and input. You have enabled me to make an informed decision on a rather complex piece of equipment (to me as a novice). And I feel very confident that I have chosen a unit that will perform all the duties I was looking for, and will also have 'legs' for down the road. It would have taken me much longer to grasp and determine all the details without your help.

I am sealing the deal today and looking forward to 'pestering the heck' out you guys when it arrives!!!!

Again, many thanks to all of you!!!
                    _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"