X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jk@home
    • Oct 2003

Rotel with Paradigm Studio speakers

Hey Folks

I currently have an RSX-1055 receiver, driving a pair of Paradigm Studio 20v3s, along with a Def. Tech center and bi-polar side surrounds. This is mainly a HT system, since I have a Magnepan/Aragon setup for music.

This holiday, I plan on replacing my center with a Paradigm CC-570 center, and next year upgrading to the ADP-470 surround models.

Depending on how well the Rotel receiver works with the new center will determine my next upgrade route.

So my question is, given a budget of no more than $700.... Which Rotel amp matches the 1055 receiver better, sonically,... the 2 channel RB-1070, (to drive the Studio 20s) or the RMB-1066, bridged to 3 channel operation for all 3 L/C/R speakers?
  • PewterTA
    • Nov 2004

Go with the RB-1070, it's better than bridging the RMB-1066.
    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
    -Dan

Comment

• scient
      • Feb 2005

Hey jk@home. Nice choice on the CC570 and ADP470. I run those myself with a 1056 and they are excellent. But if you persform those upgrades you might feel that you want to move up in your fronts to the Studio 60 or 100 (I run the 100's) as they are a better match for the CC570 and ADP470. My 1056 (75w x 5) has enough power to run center and surrounds but is a little weak on the front. But with your setup I dont think that should be a problem. If you do want to get a new amp more power the better :T

Btw since you already have a nice setup for music you could also go with the CC470 for your center and save a few $$.

Comment

• jk@home
        • Oct 2003

Thanks for the replies; I suspected bridging the RBM-1066 would be a compromise in performance.

Actually the long-term plan is to move the 20s back as "rear surrounds" (since the 1055 can do 7.1 with an extra stereo amp), and replace the fronts with 60s or 100s.
        But that may be a year or two away.

Also IMHO, the center is the most important speaker in home theater, so I'm going for the big dog center....

Comment

• blues651
          • Nov 2005

Originally posted by jk@home
          Thanks for the replies; I suspected bridging the RBM-1066 would be a compromise in performance.

Actually the long-term plan is to move the 20s back as "rear surrounds" (since the 1055 can do 7.1 with an extra stereo amp), and replace the fronts with 60s or 100s.
          But that may be a year or two away.

Also IMHO, the center is the most important speaker in home theater, so I'm going for the big dog center....
          Just plan on relacing your new 1070, if you move up the studio line (60's : 100's) they're power hungry! I have the 100's and 570 for the fronts and the HT side is awesom !

Comment

• jk@home
            • Oct 2003

Originally posted by blues651
            Just plan on relacing your new 1070, if you move up the studio line (60's : 100's) they're power hungry! I have the 100's and 570 for the fronts and the HT side is awesom !
            What amp are you using for your front three channels?

Comment

• cuda65
              • Feb 2005

I have an Anthem MCA 30 running my 570 and the 100,s. It works great with the Paradigms. My Denon receiver powers the ADP 470's.
              Doug

Comment

• blues651
                • Nov 2005

What amp are you using for your front three channels?
                I have a 1075, which works real well for HT, but really lacks the muscle to run the 100's for music, but at the same time I'm using a onkyo integrated as my pre, so my next move is to get a 1068 pre which should really help, then a 1090 to run the 100's or maybe one of the new digital amps they're coming out with . The 1070 should sound close to the 1075, which does'nt sound to bad at mid to higher volumes for 2ch music , but seems to lack authority at lower volumes.

Comment

• jk@home
                  • Oct 2003

Originally posted by cuda65
                  I have an Anthem MCA 30 running my 570 and the 100,s. It works great with the Paradigms. My Denon receiver powers the ADP 470's.
                  One last long winded question...

If I were to get a different amp manufacturer to drive my Paradigms, other than Rotel, I would think Anthem would be the first choice. Since they are part of the Paradigm group, I would assume that the design of my speakers were "voiced" using Anthem electronics. Is this safe to assume?

When I first auditioned the Studio 20v3s in my system, I was using the 1055 as a preamp for the L/C/R speakers, driving an Aragon 8008BB amp and another mono amp for the center. Switching over to the Rotel internal amps made the 20s sound fairly different.

Where as the Aragon gave the Sudios more dynamics, the Rotel's warmer presentation made those movies with intense action scenes less fatiguing. We used the "lobby" scene in the Matrix, to do an A/B between the two amps.

You probably can't help me, but I wonder how close the sonic presentation of the Anthem is on the Paradigms compared to Rotel amps? I would be using my Rotel for the side/rear surrounds, so maybe not that critical. But I really am trying for that matching speaker/amp thing for my HT system.

Comment

• DL86
                    • Sep 2005

I have just ordered a pair of paradigm studio 100 v3 speakers. I am going to be running them off a rb-1080 power amp. Will the rb-1080 be suffice for the studio 100's? Will I be missing much from the speakers peak performance running them off a rb-1080?

Cheers

Comment

• DrJRapp
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Apr 2003

Where as the Aragon gave the Sudios more dynamics, the Rotel's warmer presentation made those movies with intense action scenes less fatiguing. We used the "lobby" scene in the Matrix, to do an A/B between the two amps.

You probably can't help me, but I wonder how close the sonic presentation of the Anthem is on the Paradigms compared to Rotel amps?
                      You probably will find that the Anthem amps, especially the statement line sound more like the Aragon than the Rotel. What you are really listening to isn't less warmth but an extended top end. Rotel amps are a bit " rounded" on the top.
                      Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• benny
                        • Jan 2005

Originally posted by DL86
                        I have just ordered a pair of paradigm studio 100 v3 speakers. I am going to be running them off a rb-1080 power amp. Will the rb-1080 be suffice for the studio 100's? Will I be missing much from the speakers peak performance running them off a rb-1080?

Cheers
                        You've got a killer set-up going there. Of course there will be some who say that the RB-1090 is much better, and I'm sure it would sound a bit better at certain volumes, but the 1080 will rock those Paradigms well. Just make sure you're bi-wiring the 100's, they sound MUCH better that way.

Comment

• DL86
                          • Sep 2005

Thanks for that benny.

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"