X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mule.variant
    • Mar 2004

1068 Bass Mgt...what gives?

Hi all. New around here, so greetings!

I just picked up a 1068/1075 combo and I have a question about the BM that I thought you guys might be able to answer. My confusion comes from conflicting info from a couple of threads here and in other forums...

I understand that the crossover point that you set for the sub is global in the sub setup menu for all speakers set to small in the master speaker setup menu. But, when you set a different value for crossover in the advanced speaker setup, it does not change the sub crossover...only the high pass for that speaker type (center, front, etc...). When I bought this unit, I was kind of under the impression that it functioned differently (e.g. you could set a higher crossover for the sub on the global level, then a lower crossover in advanced for fronts). In my unit, it does not function this way and I just want to make sure that there is nothing wrong with it and that this is the way the BM is really implemented. Any ideas out there?

Otherwise, I'm really happy with this combo and it is light-years ahead of what I was using before.

Thanks in advance.
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Welcome Marc, glad you're enjoying the new gear It sounds like everything's working the way it's supposed to so just make sure you've got it all set up properly/to your liking and enjoy my friend, enjoy :P

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
    Jason

Comment

• Bostonears
      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by mule.variant
      When I bought this unit, I was kind of under the impression that it functioned differently (e.g. you could set a higher crossover for the sub on the global level, then a lower crossover in advanced for fronts).
      I believe you can only set a lower crossover for the fronts than for the sub if the fronts are set to Large. With the fronts set to Small, everything below the sub crossover goes to the sub only. You should be able to accomplish whatever you want to do simply by setting the fronts to Large.

Why would you want "small" speakers to go down into the sub range?

Comment

• mule.variant
        • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Bostonears
        I believe you can only set a lower crossover for the fronts than for the sub if the fronts are set to Large. With the fronts set to Small, everything below the sub crossover goes to the sub only. You should be able to accomplish whatever you want to do simply by setting the fronts to Large.

Why would you want "small" speakers to go down into the sub range?
        Thanks for the input, guys.

Bostonears, it really isn't that I want to have small speakers play in the sub range per se, what I'm trying to do is figure out how much control I really have with this unit.

Basically, what I've found is that you only have one place to set the crossover for the sub and this is applied to ALL speakers that are sending the sub a signal whether they are large (in MAX) or small.

What I was trying to accomplish is to have the front L and R speakers running large and have the sub crossed over at 40 for them to fill in the super low stuff (down to the 20 range) for 2 channel music.

For movie sources, I wanted to have the sub crossover higher (say 80), the front speakers set to small crossed at 40 or 60, and the rest crossed at 60 or 80. My reasoning is that I run less risk of blowing a driver in my mains in movies if I route some of that bass to the sub.

What I've found is that there is no way to accomplish both of these. The crossover points in the advanced setup only effect the high pass for the speakers in question (and is completely ignored if set to large). This means you have exactly one option for sub crossover, which in my case will be 40 because that's where it blends best with my mains. Unfortunately, this means I have to always run my mains in large for movies to fill in the frequency gaps in the other speakers.

Honestly, I'm probably making a bigger deal of this than I need to. I'm running B&W N804s which can probably handle a lot before I would run the risk of blowing anything up. More that I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

Thanks again for the input.

BTW, LOVE the DACs in the 1068.

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

What I was trying to accomplish is to have the front L and R speakers running large and have the sub crossed over at 40 for them to fill in the super low stuff (down to the 20 range) for 2 channel music.
          As soon as you run any speaker(s) as large the crossover is irrelevent for that speaker(s). Large denotes full range and as such your telling your 1068 that that speaker(s) is able to play a full range signal. If you desire any crossover of your mains to your sub, even at 40hZ, you still have to set them as small speakers no matter how large their physical size.

Having said that I run all my speakers full range (large) as for music I prefer no sub and in movies the amount of information below 40hZ in any of the main channels is minimal to non-existant. That's a decision you'll have to make though.

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
          Jason

Comment

• mule.variant
            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by aud19
            and in movies the amount of information below 40hZ in any of the main channels is minimal to non-existant.
            I actually didn't realize that. Makes the decision easier. Run the mains in large with the sub at "max" for music sources and "yes" for everything else. Should work OK.

Thanks for all the information.

Comment

• aud19
              Twin Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2003

I personally wouldn't use MAX as you'll end up with some bass doubling and that's not a true representation of the music but if that's what you prefer it's your stereo and your ears

Jason

Jason

Comment

• chanlon
                • Sep 2003

Hi guys,

Don't mean to beat this bass managment issue to death but it can be confusing. I finally purchased a 1068 to use with my 1075 replacing my RSX-972 receiver as the preamp/processor.

When all speakers are set to large in the global setting, the sub woofer is not being used unless there is a .1 (low freq) channel being decoded - Correct? i.e Dolby Digital Source. Thus, any adjustment I make in the sub crossover is irrelevant for other sources except those that contain a low frequency effects channel?

If I wish to use my subwoofer for music it would involve setting speakers to small in either the global or advanced menu?

Thanks,
                Chris

Comment

• aud19
                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2003

Correct

Jason

Jason

Comment

• chanlon
                    • Sep 2003

Thanks!!!

Comment

• mule.variant
                      • Mar 2004

Or, you can leave speakers on large and set sub to max. But you should ONLY do that if you are really using your sub as a true sub woofer...as in filling in the bottom octave that your speakers may lack. This is what I've done and it is working out quite well. ymmv, of course.

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"