X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DK
    • Apr 2003

LFE level

Hi guys, just got my RSP-1066. I am calibrating the speakers now. Set the vol at 71db for a 75db reading on the SPL meter. Set the same for the sub. Now, when i play DD movies, the sub works well, but with DTS, the sub bottoms out on extreme LFE scenes. DD and DTS levels are set at 0db as default. I do the sub level adj. from the sub amp. Does this have anything to do with the sub level adjustments on the OSD or my sub is just not up to it?
  • DK
    • Apr 2003

Anyone?

Comment

• Azeke
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2003

OK DK, I'll take a stab at it. However, you need to provide the specs of your sub, including the model.

Azeke

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Which DTS DVD's are you bottoming out on? It could jus be that those DVD's have cooked bass on the DTS track.

Comment

• DK
          • Apr 2003

Ok, I have a Hsu Research HRSW12V sub. This was one of Hsu's earlier subs. Looks like a drum.

The Haunting (scene: "coming mother") and U571 (depth charge) gave it major problems....

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

I'm not surprised to hear you're bottoming out on those discs..they both contain VERY low VERY loud bass tracks (esp the haunting). Since your sub doens't contain a limited like most comerical subs do (which is good for you) you will unfortunatly bottom out your sub in those cases where the bass is recorded louder then normal or if they contain very low bass below the tuning point of your sub which will cause it to "unload" and bottom out. Short of turning down the bass for those movies you really don't have many options...unless you want to lower the over all LFE level for all movies.

Comment

• Azeke
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2003

Very aptly put Andrew. I also believe your db sub level should be -3db lower than your speakers when using your spl meter. Don't know if this will help, based on your Sub Specs.

Azeke

Comment

• Mats
                Special Member
                • Jun 2000

hey folks, glad this topic is coming up (LFE/speaker calibration). next week when my avia disc comes in, i'm going to be taking my rat shack spl meter out of it's bag.

question- on the 1066, how do you set your volume to 71 db- is this the basic volume level on the front display? apologies, a newbie. thanks for your help!
                Mats
                Mats Strömberg
                Ah! It's a profit deal! Takes the pressure off! Get your weight guessed right here! Only a buck! Actual live weight guessing! Take a chance and win some crap!
                Navin R Johnson (alias Steve Martin)

Comment

• Azeke
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Mar 2003

Valongi,

No, this reading is taken from the SPL meter, you would turn the SPL knob to 70db (C weighting, Slow Response), and turn your volume on the 1066 until you achieve a reading of 75 on the SPL meter (known as the reference level). Of course this can vary based on an individual's loudness taste, but this is usually the standard.

Hope this helps,

Azeke

Comment

• DK
                    • Apr 2003

I tried lowering the LFE level as well as the sub level. It worked but I don't wanna have to keep adjusting the level for every movie. Do you guys run your subs 'hot' ? I know some guys run them up to 4db hotter.
                    Anyway, other than that, no regrets on the purchase of the Rotel

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

Actually if you're using Avia you need to calibrate to 85 dB not 75 dB as per Video Essentials...you'll end up and the same level just Avia was recorded at a different level. Basically there's no easy way to stop bottoming out on some DVD's if you've calibrated correctly for the vast majority of other discs. You can either buy a subsonic filter to try and prevent those signals from getting to your sub or do what I did and build two massive tempest subs:T

Comment

• DK
                        • Apr 2003

I do not have the Avia disc, currently using the S&V disc. Sub levels calibrated using the 1066's sub test tone. Is that accurate at all?

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

S&V is based on Avia so I would assume its to 85dB as well.

Comment

• JKohn
                            • Jun 2002

Just one note to 1066 users who have a 6.1 or 7.1 setup. You shouldn't use discs like Avia or VE to calibrate the surrounds, because the 5.1 signal is going to get altered by RS processing and there's no way to isolate each back speaker. So you really need to use the built-in test tones.

Jeff Kohn
                            Jeff Kohn
                            http://home.houston.rr.com/jeffkohn

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"