X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • grit
    • Jan 2005

Need input - 1098 or 1068 processor

WARNING - this looks like my previous post about the amps, but I'm asking about the processors in this post.

I'm using 703s, HTM7, and 705s for a 5 channel HT system w/music secondary. I'm going to use either a 1095 or 1075 amp. The question I have is this: Will the 1098 make a noticeable difference over the 1068? I'm at the end of my budget, and I can afford to either replace an entry-level ($200) velodyne sub with the matching B&W ASW700, or change the amp from the 1075 to the 1095, or get the 1098 processor instead of the 1068.

As for upgradeability, I'm only concerned about how it all works together now, and making the best use of my money.

Any experience/input would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,

Garrett
  • Aussie Geoff
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2003

Grit,

I own the RSP-1098 but in your circumstances it would be the RSP-1068 (no screen and you really mostly hear the difference from the RSP-1098 in stereo or very high end systems). As per my other post to your other thread - it would be the RMB-1075 so you could afford a sub - either the B&W ASW750 or a nice SVS PB-Plus/2..

Geoff

Comment

• Raphie
      • Nov 2004

Got the 1068 + 1095 + 1070 + SVS 2Bplus Sub, this combo can play as loud as your avg local disco and 1068 + 1095 = Very nice stereo at moderate levels as well

Comment

• DrJRapp
        Super Senior Member
        • Apr 2003

Budget issues aside, I had to make that same decision several months ago. In the end, both units sounded similar enough that I could have lived with either. I chose the 1098 because I didn't want to be sitting here today saying: I shoulda bought the 1098. I doubt that I will ever think: I shoulda bought the 1068.

Now factor in budget and things change. You may find that the difference in cost is not as great as you think. Since your dealer has more "absolute" profit in the 1098, you may be able to negotiate a better deal percentage wise over the 1068.
        Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• grit
          • Jan 2005

So, the 1098 is going to have better sound for stereo mode? Is that via direct analog (eg, DVD-A) inputs, or via the digital (COAX/optical) inputs? I'm mostly concerned about the surround sound processing (Dolby Ditigal 5.1 / DTS) for movies, but don't want to be disappointed in the stereo sound.

To clarify, I'm stuck in a townhome-type arrangement, and can not play the system at high volume levels.

With that in mind, what differences will the B&W subwoofer provide vs the entry-level Velodyne (~$250)?

And thanks for all the feedback guys, I really appreciate it.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

The 1098 should sound better in stereo then the 1068 but I'd guess in HT mode with all hell breaking loose etc the differences will be so minor it wouldn't really be a factor...I mean if you are paying that much attention to the very subtle differences in channel steering between the two the movie must not be very entertaining 2 channel audio though were its just music is where you'll hear the differences.

As for the subs velodyne makes a good product and at lower volumes the cheaper models will do ok. Where cheaper subs faulter is they can sometimes be a little boomy sounding no matter what volume you listen to them at. Also if you plan on moving I'm not a big fan of buying stop gap products as you waste money selling them and buying what you really wanted in the first place.

Comment

• PewterTA
              • Nov 2004

If you aren't looking to spend a whole lot of money, I would suggest looking towards the SVS and HSU lines of subs. You can get a whole lot of sub for pretty cheap. The performance/cost ratio is fantastic. Something like the SVS PB10-ISD is roughly $400 and will out-perform most B&W subs that cost 2x or better...

I think the differences in the 1068 and 1098 are like this...if you don't compare them side by side, you won't notice what you are missing. To me the 1098 is a "if you can afford it go for it" type of thing...but you will NOT be unhappy with 1068.
              Digital Audio makes me Happy.
              -Dan

Comment

• Raphie
                • Nov 2004

Originally posted by PewterTA
                if you don't compare them side by side, you won't notice what you are missing. To me the 1098 is a "if you can afford it go for it" type of thing...but you will NOT be unhappy with 1068.
                Couldn't agree more, the 1098 looks impressive though, but soundwise you don't gain that much. Another thing to take into account is that the 1068 is a totally different beast than it's predecessor the 1066, don't let the identical chassis and older 1066 reviews fool you!

Comment

• Fred7
                  • Jul 2004

I don't want to confuse you with too many options but have you considered the RSX-1056 receiver used as a processor? It's cheaper than the RSP-1068 but it's close (if not the same) in sound quality.

Comment

• ILuvDefTech
                    • Nov 2004

I had a chance to audition the 1068 and 1098 one after the other, but not a quick a/b switching kind of thing. I didn't notice any difference. I used the money I saved on not buying the 1098 to get a fully equipped HTPC. I say save your money and get the 1068. Besides, I still think the tft is a waste and just makes the processor look more flashy than it needs to be.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"