X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scott555
    • Dec 2005

Rotel 1056 upgrade paths!

Hello,

I am a long time reader of HTGuide and a new member. This is my first post.

My present configuration is -
    A Rotel 1056 driving a pair of Magnepan 12s in front, rears are a pair of magnepan mmgw and a mmgc for center. No subwoofer - I pushed LF contours up a notch for now.

Manepans are rated at 4 ohms driven at 5 x 75W. No dedicated listening room, Its all in my living room.

I feel Magnepans can use more power. If I add a 1075, I'll be able to drive them at 200w/channel. First question - If I do so, what would be the primary gain - more definition/clarity or more db?

Second newbie question - What is better? Somehow use the amplification of both 1056 and 1075 or leave 1056 just for preprocessing and letting 1075 do the amplification job?

Reason I asked this - I don't have any knowledge about active crossovers or bi-wiring/bi-amping. I have recently started to read about this. I do not know if something of this sort can be done using 1056+1075. If I wanted/needed to such combination is it even possible/ recommanded / suggestable? What should drive the Subwoofer if both 1056 and 1075 are available?

Please suggest. Thanks in advance

- Scott
  • Marcel B
    • Nov 2004

I would start with a stereo amplifier for the Magnepan 12s (1080 ?).
    The 1056 can handle the other channels for now.
    or
    I would buy a bigger amp like the 1095

What I mean to say is that looking at the specs (low efficiency etc) of the Magnepan 12s I don't think a 1075 would be the best choice as upgrade. The 1056 should be able to drive the rear channels, especially whn it only has to amplify these channels

Marcel B

Comment

• scott555
      • Dec 2005

Do I need 330w/Channel ?

Thank you for the reply Marcel!

The top three rows in rmb1095 specs look like this -

Model RMB-1095
      Continuous Power Output (20-20 kHz, <0.03%) 5x200 watts /ch / 8 ohms
      DIN Power Output (1 kHz, 1%) 5x330 watts /ch / 4 ohms

Does this mean that for 4 ohm speakers it can provide 330w/channel?
      What is DIN power? (This DIN power for 1075 is 5x200 watts, hence I thought of considering them ).

what would be the primary gain of providing this much power - more definition/clarity or more loudness?

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"