X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RoMan
    • Jan 2007

A/V power ac cable??

Hi all,

I was going to buy an Audioquest nrg 2 cable for my RSP 1570 when I noticed where you plug in the cord to the 1570 is only 2 prong. Much to my dismay I can't buy this type of power cord. Does anyone know if it would still fit even there is no ground prong(so to speak)?? I would like to get it but need to make sure it would still fit. The stock cord it came with looks almost identical to it except it is onlyfemale 2 prong.

If not, does anyone know what cord would fit this type of setup? Thanks again all.

RoMan
    :T
  • bcampbell
    • May 2009

It should still work. It just wont use the grounded plug since it is not needed. But yeah I have heard of people using grounded cords on non grounded electronics. All IEC type connectors will fit since it is a standard though.

Comment

• mjb
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

It will work. The middle ground pin is missing from the 1570 power receptor though, so having a ground connection in the power cord will not ground the 1570. So, if you can get a 2 core power cord (hot and neutral), do - it should be 30% cheaper!
      - Mike

Main System:
      B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
      Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• RoMan
        • Jan 2007

Reason is I'm may buy a used Audioquest NRG 2 but I want to make sure it will fit as this purchase will not be refundable. Sale is final after that point. Anyone on the forum here use this type of setup or a similiar setup for their Rotel gear?? If so, please reply. So from the sounds of it there wont be a problem, the only thing is I wont be utilizing the ground pin. Because the plug is 3 prong, that wont create any surprises when I plug it into my power conditioner??

mjb- you mentioned if I can get a 2 core power cord it would be 30% cheaper. Any recommendations?

RoMan

Comment

• hifiguymi
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2007

I'm an AudioQuest dealer as well as a Rotel dealer and have used NRG-2 cables with Rotel quite a bit. It works just fine. You will have no problems.

Eric

Comment

• RoMan
            • Jan 2007

Hi everybody, just a quick update. I called Rotel and they said it would be ok to go ahead and purchase a cable with a 3 prong conductor. So I met the fella today and purchased it for a great price. Plugged it in at home and I can notice a difference in sound right away. Very nice investment. Who knows maybe I can look at the NRG 3 in the near future. Thanks everybody for your thoughts and comments and helpful advice. I appreciate it. Have a great day all.

RoMan

Comment

• Tha Freak
              • Jul 2003

Is there a significant upgrade in sound quality ??

are the standard cables that bad ?
              - - - - - - - - - -

"Are you gonna bark all day little doggy?...or are you gonna bite?

Comment

• Nuthed
                • Jan 2007

Why are you buying a different power cable? Is there something wrong with the one that came with your 1570?

Make sure you replace all of the wire inside your home's walls leading to your equipment. While you're at it, call the power company so they can get started on replacing all of the lines leading to your house from the nearest sub-station.

Seriously though, think about this. If power cables effected SQ at all, the manufacturer would provide the best quality ones they could from the start. Copper, teflon, PVC or anything else used in making cables is relatively cheap.
                Main System

RSX-972 driving center and surrounds
                RB980-BX driving mains
                Paradigm Monitor 9s V5
                Paradigm Monitor C-390 V5
                Paradigm Monitor Atoms V5
                SVS PB-12

Comment

• htsteve
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Nuthed
                  Seriously though, think about this. If power cables effected SQ at all, the manufacturer would provide the best quality ones they could from the start. Copper, teflon, PVC or anything else used in making cables is relatively cheap.

Power cords can make a difference. Better guage and shielding will affect SQ and PQ. All cables are essentially long wires, and they can act as antennaes in picking up unwanted interference. That's why well shielded cables, including power cords, can improve picture and sound. Depending on ones equipment and power grid, the effect can be subtle or more pronounced. I live in an area with a good amount of grunge in the power grid, so PC's have helped.

As to why manufacturers do not include better grade PC's with their equipment likely lies with cost, market positioning, etc. It's up to them to decide on the whole package.
                  Last edited by htsteve; 20 October 2009, 19:34 Tuesday.

Comment

• Nuthed
                    • Jan 2007

Originally posted by htsteve
                    Power cords can make a difference. Better guage and shielding will affect SQ. All cables are essentially long wires, and they can act as antennaes in picking up unwanted interference. That's why well shielded cables, including power cords, can improve picture and sound. Depending on ones equipment and power grid, the effect can be subtle or more pronounced. I live in an area with a good amount of grunge in the power grid, so PC's have helped.

As to why manufacturers do not include better grade PC's with their equipment likely lies with cost, market positioning, etc. It's up to them to decide on the whole package.
                    You can believe that if you want. Again I say that to make ANY difference you would need to improve all upstream cables and lines. All the way to the sub-station. Simple physics and science.

Like I said in my first post on this subject, copper and the other materials needed to make cables are very cheap in the grand scheme of things. If companies want to sell products that look better, thats one thing, just don't pass it off as higher quality.

Furthermore a company like Rotel or any other company that makes above average electronics isn't going to sell a product that can easily be made better by merely changing a power cable. I firmly believe that if there was any difference between power cables they would be included with the product in the first place. Even if it meant a higher purchase cost.

Lastly, if anyone thinks they can tell the difference between power cables in a DBT, they would be the first.
                    Main System

RB980-BX driving mains
                    Paradigm Monitor 9s V5
                    SVS PB-12

Comment

• mjb
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Mar 2005

.... it makes some people happy though, and that's what this hobby is all about.
                      - Mike

Main System:
                      B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
                      Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• Legairre
                        • Jan 2002

Hold it we have miles and miles and miles of power cables/lines coming from the power station to the house that are completely out of our control. Then you possible have 100s of feet of romex from the breaker box to the outlet, and you honestly think changing 6 feet from the outlet to the receiver or amp will make a difference?

Think about it possible hundreds of mile of cable from the station to your house and 6 feet of cable from the outlet to the amp or receiver will change everything?
                        "What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
                        Radden Home Theater

Comment

• Glen B
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Legairre
                          Think about it possible hundreds of mile of cable from the station to your house and 6 feet of cable from the outlet to the amp or receiver will change everything?
                          Well, at the minimum you have the utility company transformer located nearby supplying your home, isolating it from the miles of cable ahead of it, and making it irrelevant. IMO, your home sees this transformer, not what is on its primary side as the power source.

How can a few feet of power cord make a difference ? Please read:

(1) Why power cords make a difference:

The poster Ralph (Atmasphere) is the highly respected designer and manufacturer of Atma-Sphere brand electronics.

(2) Studies on Power Line Noise, parts 1, 2, & 3 - cables and power conditioning.

The author is a professor of EE and audiophile.

Comment

• chrispy35
                            • Feb 2004

Re. the polk forums posts

Measuring power quality at the wall and making assumptions about how it may or may not degrade the sound is a little like making assumptions about how your Ferrari will perform at the track while you're driving there on the public roads.

Where is the verification that any of this quantitative analysis has any impact on the power delivery system inside the components?? Did the ripple on the DC supplies within the components change at all?

Chris P.

Comment

• Legairre
                              • Jan 2002

Your house may see the transformer, but there's still miles of cable ahead of the transformer that feed power to the transformer in one way or another. 6 feet from the outlet to the amp or receiver will not make any difference.

Power comes from a substation, through power lines to a another power substation, then to a transformer in my area and then through romex in my wall to my outlet. After all these miles of cable and connections 6 feet from the outlet to the receiver is going to make an audible difference?

There hasn't been a DBT that has been done that shows there's an audible difference by changing a power cord. Funny how a DBT between speakers and other components show a difference, but not with a power cable. If you can't hear the difference and you are buying a power cable for an audible difference then it's a waste of money.
                              Last edited by Legairre; 21 October 2009, 12:59 Wednesday.
                              "What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
                              Radden Home Theater

Comment

• Nuthed
                                • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Legairre
                                Your house may see the transformer, but there's still miles of cable ahead of the transformer that feed power to the transformer in one way or another. 6 feet from the outlet to the amp or receiver will not make any difference.

Power comes from a substation, through power lines to a another power substation, then to a transformer in my area and then through romex in my wall to my outlet. After all these miles of cable and connections 6 feet from the outlet to the receiver is going to make an audible difference?

There hasn't been a DBT that has been done that shows there's an audible difference by changing a power cord. Funny how a DBT between speakers and other components show a difference, but not with a power cable. If you can't hear the difference and you are buying a power cable for an audible difference then it's a waste of money.
                                I think you know what is what. :T

Since these other guys think that that last few feet makes a difference, but nothing else does, why don't they just get a piece of romex and put some plugs on it? After all, it's in the wall and doesn't degrade SQ at all. Its good enough. :roll:

This whole debate flies in the face of an earlier thread about ICs. The discussion was about where to put the better IC in the chain.
                                Main System

RB980-BX driving mains
                                Paradigm Monitor 9s V5
                                SVS PB-12

Comment

• Ferres
                                  • Jan 2007

A good quality power cord also improves picture quality for older CRT tv's much less so for LCD's. It's not just audio.

Over all vibrancy of colors, contrast and brightness improve. Very noticeable with greens and reds. You can see the difference.

Comment

• audioqueso
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Nov 2004

Again I say that to make ANY difference you would need to improve all upstream cables and lines. All the way to the sub-station. Simple physics and science.
                                    That's not necessarily true. There is more interference in a typical living room compared to all the internal wiring. The internal structure has codes to follow, your living room doesn't. The biggest difference in power cables (not sound, but how it's manufactured) is always grounding and shielding. Have you ever installed a car stereo? DC vs AC. DC is cleaner, yes? Yet, a good shielded power cable from the battery to the amps make all the difference.

Furthermore a company like Rotel or any other company that makes above average electronics isn't going to sell a product that can easily be made better by merely changing a power cable. I firmly believe that if there was any difference between power cables they would be included with the product in the first place. Even if it meant a higher purchase cost.
                                    You can assume that, but have you ever looked at the cost of reels of power cables? Look at belden or blackbox or whoever. Compare the price of the standard power cord that is used for most electronic devices (they all mentioned it) versus the best shielded cables. It's much more expensive to manufacture power cables with the best shielded cables, especially for mass production.
                                    Last edited by audioqueso; 22 October 2009, 01:30 Thursday.
                                    B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• htsteve
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Ferres
                                      A good quality power cord also improves picture quality for older CRT tv's much less so for LCD's. It's not just audio.

Over all vibrancy of colors, contrast and brightness improve. Very noticeable with greens and reds. You can see the difference.

Ferres, I totally agree. One of the best upgrades I made was improving the power cord on my projector. The most noticable improvement was in the black levels.

Comment

• Nuthed
                                        • Jan 2007

When you guys can prove in a double blind test that there is any difference, then you will have something. Until then, it is all just make believe.

Purely subjective. You guys spent a few dollars on a cable and you want to believe so badly that it makes a difference that you have convinced yourselves that it did. Well it didn't in reality.

Oh well, like another poster said, if it makes you happy. :T
                                        Main System

RB980-BX driving mains
                                        Paradigm Monitor 9s V5
                                        SVS PB-12

Comment

• Nuthed
                                          • Jan 2007

Originally posted by audioqueso
                                          That's not necessarily true. There is more interference in a typical living room compared to all the internal wiring. The internal structure has codes to follow, your living room doesn't. The biggest difference in power cables (not sound, but how it's manufactured) is always grounding and shielding. Have you ever installed a car stereo? DC vs AC. DC is cleaner, yes? Yet, a good shielded power cable from the battery to the amps make all the difference.

You can assume that, but have you ever looked at the cost of reels of power cables? Look at belden or blackbox or whoever. Compare the price of the standard power cord that is used for most electronic devices (they all mentioned it) versus the best shielded cables. It's much more expensive to manufacture power cables with the best shielded cables, especially for mass production.
                                          Pure BS. High level cables do not attract noise, they emit it. So shielding is to keep the noise in, not out. It is there so that your ICs won't pick up the noise that is inherent in power lines. :roll:

If you are so convinced that your shielded DC cable in your vehicle is so important, why doesn't the manufacturer of the vehicle shield all the ground wires? Get under your hood and check it out. These things I tell you are true.

Oh, and what about the terminals? They aren't shielded. Battery posts aren't shielded. Hmmm.......
                                          Main System

RB980-BX driving mains
                                          Paradigm Monitor 9s V5
                                          SVS PB-12

Comment

• Ferres
                                            • Jan 2007

When you guys can prove in a double blind test that there is any difference, then you will have something. Until then, it is all just make believe.

Purely subjective. You guys spent a few dollars on a cable and you want to believe so badly that it makes a difference that you have convinced yourselves that it did. Well it didn't in reality.

Oh well, like another poster said, if it makes you happy. :T
                                            How can you do a double blind test when you need your eyes to see the difference?

I've tested some expensive cables that do absolutely nothing and I've tested and bought some that did. On the audio side, a good cable reduces noise. You know you have less noise because the sound becomes less fatiguing over time and you can raise the volume a lot without hurting your ears. Noise at high volumes is physically painful even by just a few notches. But remember, high volumes can damage your hearing so don't do it often. :B

In the end I personally prefer the TV viewing test for powercords.

Seeing is better than hearing right.

Comment

• Ferres
                                              • Jan 2007

Originally posted by htsteve
                                              Ferres, I totally agree. One of the best upgrades I made was improving the power cord on my projector. The most noticable improvement was in the black levels.
                                              Lol! Being a digital illustrator, I had to recalibrate my video setting when I replaced the powercord. Had to tone down everything.

Previously flat images start to have more dept, especially with lower resolution sources.

Don't bother with the sound test, do the visual test and the audio side should follow. :T

Comment

• Kevin D
                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                • Oct 2002

Well we could go back and forth forever. This thread has run it's course. Thanks for being civil though.

Kevin D.

Comment

Working...
                                                Searching...Please wait.
                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                Search Result for "|||"