X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nicodim55
    • Nov 2003

rotel vs sunfire

Hello I'm new to this forum and I'm looking for some expert advise on whether to spend the money now and get the ROTEL RMB1095 or the SUNFIRE SYMPHONIC SERIES(2 channel amp) to power my 2 fronts POLK RTI50's. Currently I have a SONY 4ES receiver which I would like to use as my pre amp. I'm new to separates so I need all the help I can get. Thanks in advance. nicodim55
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Bob Carver's a smart cookie and he's come out with some rather unusual and interesting designs over the years. I'm not familar with that particular amp but its likely a fairly safe bet its pretty decent.

The Rotel 1095 is a 5 channel amp as i'm sure you're well aware so I'm not sure why you're comparing the 2 channel carver to the 5 channel rotel? If all you need is 2 channels why not look at the 1080 or 1090 from rotel instead? Both of those would be a better choice for 2 channel IMO. What does the carver retail for?

Comment

• nicodim55
      • Nov 2003

Thanks for the reply here is the specs on the carver and it retails at 850.00 U.S. I was originally just looking into buying a 2 channel amp to power my fronts which are rated at 50-500watts so I thought the SONY didn't have enough power for them so I went to the store and liked the 1095 and the Carver Symphonic Reference Power Amplifier. I like the looks of the 1095 but then again looks aren't always everything. Like I said I'm new to this subject of separates. Thanks again for all the help. nicodim55

250 watts rms continuous per channel, all channels driven into eight ohms from 20Hz to 20kHz with no more than 0.5% T.H.D.

500 watts rms per channel into four ohms

Intrinsic frequency response of one Hz to 80kHz

Signal present auto-on switch senses input signal on any channel and automatically powers up
      12VDC trigger input with 1/8" mini jacks as well as plug-in screw-terminal strip

Balanced XLR and unbalanced RCA inputs

High-quality five-way binding posts

Gorgeous monolithic milled aluminum styling and finish with long grain

Dimensions: 17" wide, 5.75" high (with feet), 16.5" deep

Five-year parts and labor warranty

Available individually or at a special reduced price when purchased with a Symphonic Reference Preamplifier

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

• jfinneru
        • Nov 2003

the rb1090 looks the same as the rmb1095, I have them both side by side.
        it outputs 2x380w.

jørn

brgds joern

moderator norwegian avforum
        brgds joern

moderator norwegian avforum

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

My advise is to think long term and invest wisely in your power amps. Unlinke processors that change yearly to keep up with the latest and greatest processing mode a quality power amp will grow with you for many years. So with that in mind if you're thinking that one day you are going to buy a real pre amp instead of a receiver the 1095 makes sense given its 5 channel configuration.

Comment

• nicodim55
            • Nov 2003

Thanks again Andrew. What is it with this hum that I keep reading in this forum about the 1095? Is it really that bad? Has Rotel fix the bug? The one in the store I was in didn't have this hum or noise coming from the speakers. Anyway, I think I'm going back to the store sometimes this week and pick up this beast!! If anyone else out there has a different views with the 1095 I welcome all your comments.

Thanks,

nicodim55

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

The hum issue is that the design of the 1095 tends to highlight poor grounding in peoples homes. Its not that the 1095 has a hum its that there's a bad ground in the wiring of the home and the 1095 picks it up and amplifies it which results in a hum at the speakers. Some amps seem to be better at masking this problem better then others but its not fair to blame the amp for a problem that has always been there...that's akin to shooting the messenger for bad news Anyway there haven't been that many people that have had a hum and most of those that have have been able to fix teh root of the problem with a little detective work to find the root of the problem (which is very frequently improperly grounded satellite or coax cable runs)

Comment

• jimmyp58
                Super Senior Member
                • Aug 2003

whatever....
                jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• LEVESQUE
                  • Oct 2002

Andrew.

Both my dealer and Jimmyp58 dealer did actually agree and confirm that there IS a problem with alot of RMB-1095, and that they are pretty well aware of it...

Andrew. I really think it his time for you to have a serious talk with your Rotel "insider" or your source working there to clear this up. We all respect what you are doing here, but we read about this problem with the RMB-1095 all over the net now, and it's more serious then a poor grounding in some houses.

I had my new house custom built with 2 electricians double checking everything one after the other (yes I'm crazy enoUgh to do this ), to insure that my dedicated HT would be free of any noise and of any ground problem. And it is. Except for the RMB-1095.
                  To spend more $$$ on electronics without first addressing room acoustics is fruitless IMO.

Comment

• SpOoNmAn
                    • Sep 2003

Well, I believe in being truthful, and if it means our warnings save people some headaches, then so be it.

I called 2 local dealers, and they admitted that they themselves, AND Rotel, were aware of some 1095's having some problems internally. My dealer then said he would do whatever necessary until I received an amp that worked properly. I said No thanks and won't bother.

This doesnt mean people shouldnt buy the 1095, it means they should atleast be aware of a potential problem. I hear it sounds wonderful, and is a beast overall.

If you're in the market for a 1095, just tell your Dealer upfront that you are aware of a "potential" problem. It's up to the manufacturer to keep the customers/consumers happy, not the other way around.

Life is short, Play it LOUD!

Theatre Photo Album (A work in Progress)
                    GameTracker -My List-
                    Life is short, Play it LOUD!

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

Guys i'm not saying there aren't some of you that don't have a legitimate problem with your 1095's just that I'm not so sure its a hardware problem per say with the 1095's design. I do know that Rotel's tech's are looking into it though to see if there's anything they can do for those that are affected.

Comment

• nicodim55
                        • Nov 2003

8) Thank you guys for looking out. I think I'm going to pick up the 1095 anyways just for the sake of arguments and if there is any hum or hiss at all to come out of my speakers I will just take the thing back. I know it won't be easy because this THING weighs a ton!! I just hope I get one of the good batches.

Thanks,
                        nicodim55

Comment

• Trash
                          • Sep 2003

Has anyone looked into the sheilding around the 1095 amps balanced inputs? I had a discussion with my dad and he said those balanced inputs are very sensitive to picking up noise if not properly shielded.

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"