Better to keep Rotel amps ON all the time??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • usul
    • Nov 2003

Better to keep Rotel amps ON all the time??

I heard somewhere that it is better for stereo equipment, to keep them on all the time...I was told that this makes the sound, sound sweeter, and prolongs the life of the equipment...

Is this true??

I have the rotel RMB-1095 and RB-993 power amps.. They both do not have any kind of triggers or standby modes...

I am just worried about wearing out the power buttons... and just tring to find the best way to prolong my awesome amps..

Are there any external devices that have trigger features that I could use with my amps if needed..??

Thanx much..

-chris
  • Tom Caines
    • Sep 2000

My RB-976 amplifier has been on for 5 years straight. It feeds speakers in a waiting room as well as the home theater. On the other hand the RDA-975 surround sound processor heats up when left on so I power that up only when needed.

If you are looking for a switched power management device you could get a Rotel RLC-900.
    http://www.rotel.com/products/specs/rlc900.htm for about $150.

Panamax makes a series of power management devices.
    http://www.panamax.com

Tom Caines
    "The Answer Is Always Yes"
    Tom Caines

Display: TC-P50ST30-50-Inch Plasma
    Receiver: Rotel RSX-1056
    DVD: Sony BDP-S580 3D Blu-ray Disc Player
    Phono Preamp: Rotel RQ-970BX
    Speakers: Vandersteen: (4) 1C's, (1) VCC-1
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39PC-Plus
    Additional Sub: Aura Shakers (2) Bolted under sofa
    Speaker Cable: KimberKable PB4
    Interconnects: Monster, Better Cable, Radio Shack Gold
    Toslink: Cables To Go SonicWave Glass
    Remote Control: Radio Shack 15-1995 Custom Programmed
    Rack: Salamander Archetype A5

Comment

• sikoniko
      Super Senior Member
      • Aug 2003

the same theory is for everything electrical. Everytime you turn something on, there will be a larger amount of electricity and then it tappers off. im not an electrician, but it was explained to me that the more you turn anything on and off, the shorter the life span is. thats why i leave my computer on 24/7 also.
      I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• Legairre
        • Jan 2002

I never turn my gear off unless there's going to be a storm. I have a RMB-1095 and RB-1050 and both have triggers and standby, but I never use them.

Usul, your 1095 doesn't have a trigger and standby?
        "What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
        Radden Home Theater

Comment

• BeeBop
          • Oct 2003

I had an old Sansui receiver I turned on and off every day for 25 years before it gave out. Maybe it would still be with me if I had left it on all the time. Not sure that would be a good thing though.... :LOL:

Comment

• Scarp
            • Mar 2003

And you guys cant figure out why your electric bill is high?

Keeping your equipment on because it is possibly timespan reducing seems ridicilous to me. You waste a lot of energy that can be spend better. Even if it reduces the lifespan of an amp by 1% or so, then still it will outlive the time you have that amp anyway.

I've seen a lot of discussion on this issue and there is nothing really that backs up the theory thats its bad for your equipment. Sure dont turn it off and on repeatedly right after eachother, but after an evening of use when you go to bed just turn it off and turn it on again when needed.

I think its just a waste of energy for something that will *possibly* reduce the lifespan a bit, but not so much that you actually notice it.

But then again, I think that SUV (and especially Hummer H2) owners should be shot for killing our world

Comment

• hanser
              • May 2002

Scarp, I totally agree with you.

Comment

• ht_addict
                • Dec 2002

Originally posted by Legairre
                I never turn my gear off unless there's going to be a storm. I have a RMB-1095 and RB-1050 and both have triggers and standby, but I never use them.

Usul, your 1095 doesn't have a trigger and standby?
                In standby with the 12v trigger in use the 1095 consume 3watts, without the 12v trigger in use it consumes 190watts. That ranslates into .190KwH over 24hrs x365days equals: 1664.4kwH

I don't know what your electrical rate is but if we use say 10cents/kwH, you spend $166.44 per year just to keep your amp on. You could have spent $10 for the 12v cable and saved yourself 85%.

But then again, I think that SUV (and especially Hummer H2) owners should be shot for killing our world
                I don't think that we should be shooting the owners of these vehicles. Its the manufacturers that offer them too us and we suck them up like candy. North Americans are gas guzzling junkies who freak when the price of gas jumps, especially since we have the lowest prices in the world. You look at Europe where the price of gas is at a premium, diesel is big, small compact cars are the norm. These are the standards we as the consumer have to begin to adopt over here. Do we honestly need a 6 or 8 cylinder vehicle for regular driving? In most major metropolitan cities traffic is at a log jam during rush hour and wether your in a car, van or SUV you burning fuel and poluting the world. End of rant

ht_addict

PS: I do own an SUV(4cylinder Rav4) :2guns: :k>'>

Comment

• zeppelin
                  • May 2003

I've been playing On and Off with 5 of my RB970BX power amp for the past 8 yrs almost everyday. Its still in good condition like new and the power button is still as hard as new. Sound and performance is still the same like the day I've bought it till now. That is why I trust Rotel untill now.
                  Dont know if my RSP1066 can last that long. Only time can tell.

Comment

• Ron Reda
                    • Jan 2003

I also never turn my gear off unless there's going to be a storm.

FWIW, although my amplifiers are not Rotel (sorry!), I leave them, my RSP 1066 processor and my CD player on all the time. The amps consist of a 150W x 2 stereo amp plus five 140W monoblocks. I just paid my electric bill and it was $72 for a three-story townhome in Georgia. Also, I have noticed, primarily on the stereo amp, that it does sound better if it's been warmed up for at least several hours which is another reason why it's on all the time.

Comment

• usul
                      • Nov 2003

I have a black version of the Rmb-1095... from 2 years ago,, There is no triggers on the back... I noticed that the new version do have these triggers..

-chris

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"