X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mtw
    • Oct 2004

RMB-1095 producing 60 cycle hum

hello folks,

My 1095 has started to produce a 60Hz hum. I don't hear it in the speakers, just from the amp itself. Has anyone else experienced this problem and if so, were you able to fix it? Hopefully I can avoid sending it to the shop.

Thanks,

-mtw
  • Dmantis
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jun 2004

Most of the time your picking up Emi or Rf from the power or faulty ground. Also can come in from the dss feed or cable feed. To figure it out , unplug dss or cable feed from the system, run the amp and lets say a cd player and see if the problem goes away.If it doesn't , then you might have a bad Interconnect. If that fails then you need to take it in to service.

mantis

Comment

• Kevin D
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Oct 2002

Yes, it has been known to do this on few units that I know of. I can't remember if someone found a cause or if the unit was sent in. Do a search for '1095 buzz', you should be able to find the threads.

Kevin D.

Comment

• mitch57
        • Nov 2004

It was probably me that everyone was referring to. I had a buzz coming from the amp itself even when nothing was connected but the power cord. I even turned off every breaker in the house with the exception of the dedicated Home Theater 20 amp breaker.

I finally took it into the dealer and as I suspected, it was dead silent at the dealer. I brought home a new Parasound Halo A51 (which I liked so well I kept it) and it made the same noise.

I finally found a solution but it was expensive. This is what silenced the amp completely.

The problem in my case was all related to noisy power coming into my house from somewhere in the neighborhood.

You can try the device for free and if it doesn't work or you don't like it they will take it back. They even offered to pay the return shipping when I bought mine.

Good luck. I fought the battle for months. Hopefully you won't have to.
        Mitch
        :stupidpc:

Comment

• Dmantis
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jun 2004

I wonder if the rmb1095 is noisier then the rmb1075 due to the fact it pulls more current? And needs something like a Ps audio power product to help it?

I suspect mine to be noisy. I keep hearing noise in the highs. I rewired my system, made sure no power wires where laying with speaker or Ic's. It's there and it bothers me. I'm considering trying a better surge that helps clean up the noise.

Comment

• mtw
            • Oct 2004

Thanks for the help everyone! Looks like I've got some deducing to do.

Comment

• Kevin D
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Oct 2002

Originally posted by Dmantis
              I suspect mine to be noisy. I keep hearing noise in the highs. I rewired my system, made sure no power wires where laying with speaker or Ic's. It's there and it bothers me. I'm considering trying a better surge that helps clean up the noise.
              I think you are confusing the issue. The hum we're talking about in this thread is coming from the amp, literally coming out of the transformer INSIDE the amp. Even without speakers hooked up there is noise.

As far as noise out of the speakers, a slight hiss or buzz that you can only hear from 1-3 feet and closer is normal.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Dmantis
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jun 2004

Kevin D,
                sorry to derail a bit but it got me thinking of my issues I have with the rmb1095. Mine doesn't hum, actually it's dead quite when not playing but on. I can hear a hiss while music is playing from 10 feet away.The hiss stops when I pause or stop the cd.Starts right back up when it plays again. It's killing my top end. I'm not sure if it's just how Rotel sounds or I got some kind of Problem. I have installed Rotel many many times and never remember any hiss. I have Installed my speakers with Rotel many times and again , no hiss. the rsx1065 and Dynaudio Audience speakers together got me hooked.

I sold off my last system and sometimes I feel it sounded better due to the fact I didn't have any problems. I gained detail but also gained this damn hiss.

Carry on.
                mantis

Comment

• Chross
                  • Sep 2003

Hello,

I have the same "problem" with my 1095, when heating up, the amp's transformer make a buzz. After reaching working temperature it ends normally.

Comment

• Dmantis
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jun 2004

Has this problem been figured out?

Comment

• SGT
                      • Jul 2005

Most times this happens is because of the dirty ac line (reasons why ac got poisoned are many....)
                      As Mitch suggested, try PS audio's device (it has Humbuster built in) OR make your own filter. I find building it as much more pleasurable. Also, it's very cheap and simple to make. There are few variations available out there on diyaudio.com. You'd need to know few things about high voltage dangers and how to solder, though.

Comment

• Eliav
                        • Jul 2005

HI
                        have experienced the same buzz with my 1095, it actually happened twice when the unit was kept on for longer times such as overnight, when i turned it off and then immediately on - it was gone. This does not seem to have gotten worse,looks like a random problem to me, probably related to current changes, I am otherwise having no problems with this 3 months old amp.
                        as long as this problem is seldom occuring and goes away when i switch off - no big deal.
                        PS - I am talking about a low frequency neon-like buzz coming from inside the amp, not from the speakers.BTW, my power conditioner with it's "clear current "supply did not clean the buzz.
                        Cheers
                        Eliav
                        :T Socrat

Comment

• Cracking Oboe
                          • May 2004

Originally posted by Eliav
                          HI
                          have experienced the same buzz with my 1095, it actually happened twice when the unit was kept on for longer times such as overnight, when i turned it off and then immediately on - it was gone. This does not seem to have gotten worse,looks like a random problem to me, probably related to current changes, I am otherwise having no problems with this 3 months old amp.
                          as long as this problem is seldom occuring and goes away when i switch off - no big deal.
                          PS - I am talking about a low frequency neon-like buzz coming from inside the amp, not from the speakers.BTW, my power conditioner with it's "clear current "supply did not clean the buzz.
                          Cheers
                          Eliav
                          :agree:

I had exactly the same thing happen to me. No harm, no foul. (It happened to my 1095 several years ago, and I've had no problems since)

Cracking!

Comment

• Chross
                            • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Dmantis
                            Has this problem been figured out?
                            It's random now and not frequently, sometimes it comes and after 15 minutes it's gone.

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"