X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NEO Dan
    • Nov 2007

BMS+DSS+RS225=? HT Mains

I've got no room for dipole, and no budget for the C90.

The BMS 4540ND+DSS 1-90ENG combo sounds like just the ticket for an over the top box speaker.

Is 2 way WWTWW with the 4 ohm RS225 feasible?
    After a look at the impedance control circuit, I know the X-overs won't be cheap.
    I'm looking at a baffle width of 11" and I want go ~80" tall. I've not settled on a bass alignment but I'm looking at what I can do in ~200 liters

Drawn 11" x 80" x 20"

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.webp
Views:	38
Size:	8.0 KB
ID:	943043
    Last edited by theSven; 25 June 2023, 23:43 Sunday. Reason: Update image location
    Regards
    Dan
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

It probably needs to be a WMTMW or a 2.5 way to avoid comb-filter effects

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• NEO Dan
      • Nov 2007

Would I be able to avoid it (comb filter effect) by crossing over lower than the wavelength of the C-T-C spacing? Originally I had 11" spacing. Now I'm considering going ~10" and lengthening the line source to achieve full line array loading for the woofers. I'd like to crossover between 1-1.2K.

Any suggestions welcome

90" 11"

Name:	3.webp
Views:	36
Size:	5.4 KB
ID:	943044
      Last edited by theSven; 25 June 2023, 23:44 Sunday. Reason: Update image location
      Regards
      Dan

Comment

• augerpro
        Super Senior Member
        • Aug 2006

Cool idea. If you cross low enough to the RS225 just above and below the CD you should be ok. Just be sure the other RS225s are either crossed as a 2.5 way or 3 way woofers.

Earl Geddes has indicated that the B&C DE250 can be crossed as low as 800Hz so maybe that would ease your spacing problem, although I would have to the math to see exactly what you need. And PE has them on sale right now.
        ~Brandon 8O
        Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
        Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
        DriverVault
        Soma Sonus

Comment

• coctostan
          • Nov 2006

Why not check out some pro drivers for the mids? They would keep up better on efficiency.

Comment

• JoshK
            • Mar 2005

The DDS ENG 1-90 has been independently verified a few times by different DIY'ers that it looses directivity control around 1.2Khz so the crossover has to be around 1.2-1.4Khz. That puts the constraint on the c-t-c spacing.

Comment

• NEO Dan
              • Nov 2007

Originally posted by coctostan
              Why not check out some pro drivers for the mids? They would keep up better on efficiency.
              That's exactly what I was thinking at this point, A good 8" or 10" would be just the ticket. A little trimming of the horn flange to blend them together.

Any suggestions? Mabey CIARE or B&C?
              Regards
              Dan

Comment

• NEO Dan
                • Nov 2007

I was looking around on US Speaker they have a few 16 ohm Drivers that might be goos for the 4 driver setup 8NW51-16 and 8PS21-16. Anyone test any of them?

18 sound has a preview up of a 10NMB420 that's 16 ohm, looks interesting.

None of these really are capable of going as low as I am interested in going. OTOH if you were planning on crossing over at 80hz you could be good to go.
                Regards
                Dan

Comment

• augerpro
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Aug 2006

If you are looking to stay with a slim line and use 8" woofers, you are probably not going to get the bass response you are looking for without buying a lot of drivers. I think matching the CD to the RS225 is still a great idea, and a reasonable price. A 2.5 way would be perfect for this design. Good pro drivers will up the cost considerably.

If you do go that route though I would suggest the B&C 8NDL51 or 10NW64 for a high performance mid. The 18 Sound xxNMB420 drivers are good too, but from the testing I've done so far I think the B&C are overall a little better, especially as mids. But you're talking a totally different speaker now, and totally different looking.

Joshk if the DDS loses control around 1.2k doesn't that imply a crossover point considerably higher? Or is fairly gradual loss of control? Not too happy to hear this, I had planned on using this for a pro audio dipole soon :M Although Geddes is importing some of his WG's to the US. So maybe I'll wait and see what the pricing is on the 10"
                  ~Brandon 8O
                  DriverVault
                  Soma Sonus

Comment

• NEO Dan
                    • Nov 2007

Brandon,
                    I think you are right on about the RS225, and I may go with the 4 driver 2.5 way setup to get my feet wet. I had really wanted a full line array and high sensitivity. But my wallet says :rofl: NO.

If you think the Sale @ PE on the B&C DE250 is a good deal take a look at the BMS 4540ND + DSS ENG 1-90 Pro combo in the Tiny Kit section over at assistance audio. :T
                    Regards
                    Dan

Comment

• A9X
                      • Jan 2007

Originally posted by NEO Dan
                      I18 sound has a preview up of a 10NMB420 that's 16 ohm, looks interesting.
                      I hadn't seen that one. Interesting. Cheers.

Comment

• JoshK
                        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by augerpro
                        Joshk if the DDS loses control around 1.2k doesn't that imply a crossover point considerably higher? Or is fairly gradual loss of control? Not too happy to hear this, I had planned on using this for a pro audio dipole soon :M Although Geddes is importing some of his WG's to the US. So maybe I'll wait and see what the pricing is on the 10"
                        Well maybe I am intermixing the two. I understand the point, but I think people have been suggesting 1.2-1.4k xo but I think this is also where you start to loose directivity control. I'll punt to those who've more experience with this WG. I was just commenting on what I've read but maybe I've mixed up what I've read. I'm getting old it seems.

Comment

• Paul W
                          • Oct 2004

My measurement PC is in storage now, but I did find this one screen shot for a BMS 4552ND on a DDS. Don't remember if this is 0-40 degrees or 0-60 degrees (probably 60) but you can see directivity falling apart below 1.4k or so...which is about what I used for an 8th order XO.

Name:	DDS0.webp
Views:	36
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	943045
                          Last edited by theSven; 25 June 2023, 23:45 Sunday. Reason: Update image location
                          Paul

Comment

• NEO Dan
                            • Nov 2007

Ok so the RS225 is gonna need to get intimate with the DSS, It's not like it can't be done.

Name:	IsirisTestArticle2ss.webp
Views:	13
Size:	3.5 KB
ID:	943046
                            Last edited by theSven; 25 June 2023, 23:45 Sunday. Reason: Update image location
                            Regards
                            Dan

Comment

• Dennis H
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Aug 2002

Brandon, the DDS does lose directivity at 1-2K or so but an 8" woofer is pretty directive in that range so the combo isn't so bad with a cross somewhere in there. PE doesn't show a 60 degree curve for the RS225 but here's a CA22 at 0, 30 and 60.

Name:	f_seas_prestige_loudspeaker_woofer__h1288_ca22rnx.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	943047
                              Last edited by theSven; 25 June 2023, 23:46 Sunday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• augerpro
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Aug 2006

Paul thanks for the plots-very helpful.

Dennis I was hoping to match directivity through the crossover not "balance" a less directive driver with a more directive one , ya know? I'll have to measure both teh DDS and B&C 8NDL51 off to see if there is a happy compromise in there. Those graphs of the RS225 suggest maybe 1.5-1.8k Hz or so...I was hoping to go lower but...
                                ~Brandon 8O
                                DriverVault
                                Soma Sonus

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"