X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Inu_Yasha
    • May 2006

Ground loop hum on mains?

I've noticed something very strange lately, it seems as if my speakers are producing a ground loop hum. I've never had any problems with this until just recently when I changed the location of my equipment in my room. I moved my sub from the right wall to the left. I went through my whole sound setup trying to find out what was causing this and it seems like when I hook my sub (Clean Box, BFD,or EP2500) up to my reciever, the hum starts comming from my main speakers (LCR and surrounds). Does anyone know what may be causing this or how to fix this?
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

You might be getting 2 different grounds between your audio gear and your subs amp which would create a ground loop. One way to try and fix this is to get a cheater plug for your sub that takes 3 prongs and turns it into 2.

Comment

• Inu_Yasha
      • May 2006

Originally posted by Dougie085
      You might be getting 2 different grounds between your audio gear and your subs amp which would create a ground loop. One way to try and fix this is to get a cheater plug for your sub that takes 3 prongs and turns it into 2.
      Woops, forgot to metion I tried putting a cheater plug on both the BFD and the Sub amp to try to stop the hum, but it still persists.

Comment

• Hdale85
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

hmm.... not sure then

Comment

• Inu_Yasha
          • May 2006

Originally posted by Dougie085
          hmm.... not sure then
          Very very strange... I think I might have just figured it out after you said cheater plug... I plugged in the clean box (2 pronged) into the wall and then put cheater plugs on both the amp and the BFD and the hum went away!!! Can anyone explain this? I'm living in an apt...

Comment

• Hdale85
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2006

Well with only one of them plugged in your still creating a ground loop between them and your receiver or pre/pro. So if you only had one of them cheated before then it makes since that the ground loop would still be there.

Comment

• mazurek
              • Mar 2006

Try putting a jensen transformer between sub and receiver. Could try something like: http://www.jensen-transformers.com/iso_aud.html
              Model SUB-1RR
              or something that converts unbalanced to balanced

I would think the transformer would provide better isolation than a cleanbox.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"