• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RobP
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

Rotel DVD Player Suggestions

Hello fellow Rotelians,

I am wanting to upgrade my current DVD player and was looking to get some feedback on the overall performance and owner satisfaction of the current Rotel DVD players from those of you that own them. I currently am using a Pioneer Elite player and am not really happy with its performance. The picture is decent but the sound leaves little to be desired.

Thanks in advance!
    Robert P.
    Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"
  • DrJRapp
    Super Senior Member
    • Apr 2003

As much of an advocate as I am of the majority of Rotel gear, that support does not extend to their DVD players. One rumor has it that Rotel DVD players are really Pioneer, repackaged to look like the rest of Rotel. The remote controls seem to support this theory. Which PE model do you have? Your profile doesn't say. What about the sound leaves you cold? Is it the 2 channel analog? How do yo connect to the 1056, coax or toslink? Tell us some more.
    Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• Nolan B
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2005

Originally posted by DrJRapp
      As much of an advocate as I am of the majority of Rotel gear, that support does not extend to their DVD players. One rumor has it that Rotel DVD players are really Pioneer, repackaged to look like the rest of Rotel. The remote controls seem to support this theory. Which PE model do you have? Your profile doesn't say. What about the sound leaves you cold? Is it the 2 channel analog? How do yo connect to the 1056, coax or toslink? Tell us some more.
      in your opinion do you think that dollar for dollar they don't compare to others DVD/CD players? Excluding the fact it does not have HDMI and upconversion.

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Vancouver
        in your opinion do you think that dollar for dollar they don't compare to others DVD/CD players? Excluding the fact it does not have HDMI and upconversion.
        If I was going to buy a quality DVD player it would probably be a Denon 3910 myself....
        Jason

Comment

• Nolan B
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2005

Originally posted by aud19
          If I was going to buy a quality DVD player it would probably be a Denon 3910 myself....

i agree, but that costs more then any of the rotels..

here is the questions I gues I would like to know. What SHOULD the price of the RDV 1040, RDV 1050 and RDV 1060 be at in order to make then good value...or on par with others.

Comment

• RebelMan
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Mar 2005

Robert, I own the RDV-1050 and couldn't be happier. In short... the transport is quick and quiet. The transitions from submenu screens and format layers is silky smooth, not so choppy like others I have seen. The digital artifacts that I have detected on other players is virtually non-existent on the RDV-1050 with a large number of my "older" and non-Superbit DVD's.

The rumors of Rotel re-badging other players is just that, a rumor that nobody seems to get straight or can prove. Some say it's a Pioneer some say it's a JVC and so on. Which is it?

Let's assume for a minute that it is a re-badged product. Most people here would agree that Rotel DVD players are known to perform exceptionally well musically (for a DVD player). (Others have gone so far to say that it compares to the likes of much more distinguished pedigree, Meridian anyone?) Yet many of these same people will claim that they fall short of a respectable few, like Denon, when it is assigned video duties. It puzzles me that if it is "just" a re-badged product then where are the other less expensive players that perform like the Rotel? My point is, I don't see what Rotel has done with their current DVD players to be any different than what they have done with their digital amplifiers.

If you are looking for a great all round DVD player that isn't going to break the bank, especially with high definition options just around the corner, and will blend in perfectly with your largely Rotel equipment rack, I say get the Rotel, you won't be disappointed.
            "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• DrJRapp
              Super Senior Member
              • Apr 2003

The $200 Oppo DV 971 H digital upscaling DVI player will smoke the Rotel (and the pioneer, and most other DVD players). Secrets rates it 2d only to the much renowned Denon 5910 which is $3500 MSRP. It's so small that it blend with almost everything, no problem. Audio?...DVDA and SACD! Video, Faroudja processing. I personally use both a Denon 2900 and an Oppo.
              Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• RobP
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Nov 2004

Jerry, I have the Pioneer Elite DV45A and it is hooked up via coax and Toslink(for DTS), the problem that I have with it is that when watching a movie the audio signal is about 6db lower than my other two source units. which of course leads to clipping at moderate levels. I have the Pioneer hooked up to the video one input, my Kenwood Sovereign DVD changer hooked up to video two and my dedicated Rotel CD player to the analog input labeled CD. I have switched inputs with the Kenwood as well as cables and the problem persist.

Robert P
                Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• jim777
                  • Mar 2005

The $200 Oppo DV 971 H digital upscaling DVI player will smoke the Rotel
                  Is that the case in HDTV with HDMI and digital audio outputs only? (Oppo as a transport and video upscaler only)?

Comment

• Nolan B
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Sep 2005

The $200 Oppo DV 971 H digital upscaling DVI player will smoke the Rotel (and the pioneer, and most other DVD players). Secrets rates it 2d only to the much renowned Denon 5910 which is $3500 MSRP. It's so small that it blend with almost everything, no problem. Audio?...DVDA and SACD! Video, Faroudja processing. I personally use both a Denon 2900 and an Oppo.

Since I am using an Iscan HD to do the di-interlacing and scaling would the Oppo still be a better player in your opinion?

here is the link to the review the Doc is refering too. It wasnt clear to me that over all with picture quality and sound quality it is second only to the 5910. Its very interesting that it only sends 480i via its component, which work for me becuase i dont use HDMI, and want my iscan to do the processing.

So confused! Can a $200 DVD player (oppo) really be a better choice for me picture and sound wise then the RDV 1060?? Even if all i want from the player as far as video is 480i?? Sometimes I wish this hobby was a little more cut and dry.

Comment

• RebelMan
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Mar 2005

The $200 Oppo DV 971 H digital upscaling DVI player will smoke the Rotel (and the pioneer, and most other DVD players).
                      Have you personally A/B the two? Smoked in what way? Rotel's player does what an audiophile grade DVD player is suppose to.

The quality of upscaling techniques (devices) vary greatly from one to another and few may provide the "relief" some people are looking for. Scalers are really only good for two reasons, video switching and poor recordings on DTV's (Rear projection CRT displays are far less susceptible to this). High quality recordings that I have played back on my RDV-1050 look better than the extra massaging scalers put the signal through. The video switching features are convenient but not worth the signal impairment.

It maybe inconvenient to run my component video directly to the display but the results make it worth the extra effort.

Comment

• Taito
                        • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Soundgravy
                        the problem that I have with it is that when watching a movie the audio signal is about 6db lower than my other two source units. which of course leads to clipping at moderate levels.
                        Robert P
                        WHAT?! If a larger signal does not clip the supply rails, a smaller one ABSOLUTELY CANNOT!

Whether or not an amplifier stage 'clips' depends on whether or not the signal level reaches the power supply voltage. If the signal coming in is 6dB lower than others, turn it up by 6dB. This CANNOT cause clipping if it is only bringing the signal level up to the same level as signals which do not clip the supply rails. Clipping is not dependedent on volume setting. It IS dependent on whether or not the peak signal level meets or exceeds the DC voltage of the power supply.

If you are hearing what you are calling clipping all of the time (not dependent on volume setting), then it is possible that your pioneer is faulty (ie. its supply rails are at a MUCH lower potential than they should be which would result in the signal being clipped before it left the pioneer). If what you are hearing changes with volume setting on your pre, but occurs at lower levels with this source than with others, than the problem is elsewhere and not the signal being 'clipped' (and is very perplexing).

If this is a problem that bothers you, why not post in more detail about it. Or, as it gets a little off topic, PM me if you like.

Hope this helps, Ben.

Comment

• bigburner
                          Super Senior Member
                          • May 2005

The $200 Oppo DV 971 H digital upscaling DVI player will smoke the Rotel (and the pioneer, and most other DVD players).
                          How do you rate the audio of the OPPO compared to the other CD/DVD players in your house?

Comment

• bimmer528
                            • Sep 2004

anyone know a rumor of the price for the rotel upscaler does it bother anyone that that are making this? Im probally wrong but it tells me that a new processor with hdmi, ect is a long long away. I own the 1060 and had the 1050, there was that 1050 issue with no passive for hdcd if hooked up to a preamp with hdcd. The 1040 and 1060 could pass the signal np. I have not really noticed any picture change from the 50 and 60 but then again i dont have a newer tv so that would explain it :P I upgraded for the hdcd pass alone and for future purchase of tv.

I have heard denon owns the market in dvd players and cost a fraction of the price of a rotel with the latest technology. If i had it to do over again, i would opt for a denon and is the reason why my 1060 is for sale.

Comment

• Nolan B
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Sep 2005

Originally posted by bimmer528
                              If i had it to do over again, i would opt for a denon and is the reason why my 1060 is for sale.

what technology does the denon have that your rotel doesn't which is of value to you?

Comment

• bimmer528
                                • Sep 2004

hdmi

Comment

• aud19
                                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2003

I'd say if analog sound quality, especially for CD's, is a priority for you then get the Rotel. They have a pleasing (if not the absolute best) PQ and above average SQ on the analog outputs. For PQ priority I'd go with the Oppo Jerry suggested or the higher end Denon's that also offer SACD, HDMI output and pretty good analog audio. Depends on where your priorities are
                                  Jason

Comment

• RobP
                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                    • Nov 2004

Thanks for your input guys, I am going to go check out the Rotel DVD players this week. As far as the Oppo goes I will have to find a dealer here that stocks them.
                                    Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• DrJRapp
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Apr 2003

Originally posted by Soundgravy
                                      Thanks for your input guys, I am going to go check out the Rotel DVD players this week. As far as the Oppo goes I will have to find a dealer here that stocks them.
                                      The Oppo is sold via internet sales, Google should be your best friend here since forum rules don't allow me to post a link. They are the same vendor that is marketing the NuForce amps, by the way. They have a 30 day money back guarantee. Tech support is superb. I.E. They distribute firmware updates by computer download. At the time of the first update, my computer with a burner broke so at 6:30 PM EDT I emailed to see if I could get a disc. I never got an answer to that email...my answer arrived the next morning by Fedex.
                                      Last edited by DrJRapp; 31 October 2005, 20:17 Monday.
                                      Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• Nolan B
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Sep 2005

Originally posted by aud19
                                        I'd say if analog sound quality, especially for CD's, is a priority for you then get the Rotel. They have a pleasing (if not the absolute best) PQ and above average SQ on the analog outputs. For PQ priority I'd go with the Oppo Jerry suggested or the higher end Denon's that also offer SACD, HDMI output and pretty good analog audio. Depends on where your priorities are
                                        Thanks fo the basics. Since I only want a strong 480i signal from a DVD player becuase I use an iscan HD im sure the PQ will be good for me. It MUST be an improvement over the 4 year old denon 800 i have right now.

My Priority is to get something better (even if just slightly) then my Denon 800, looks good on the outside, and plays DVD A.

Comment

• bzrk
                                          • Oct 2005

So now that the rdv 60 is being discountinued... Mabe there are some new rotel player(s) on the horizon? hdmi support?

Any thoughts?
                                          Gr. Sebastian

Comment

• Nolan B
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Sep 2005

Originally posted by bzrk
                                            So now that the rdv 60 is being discountinued... Mabe there are some new rotel player(s) on the horizon? hdmi support?

Any thoughts?
                                            yes there is one but its going to retail for for about $3500 CDN. With HD DVD/Blue Ray comming soon I cant imagine many people making an investment like that.

Imagine paying $3500 for a VHS 2 years (max) before DVD was introduced?

mind you with that said Classe has release a DVD player that is 6k!

Comment

• nfjason
                                              • Aug 2005

The Oppo is sold via internet sales, Google should be your best friend here since forum rules don't allow me to post a link. They are the same vendor that is marketing the NuForce amps, by the way. They have a 30 day money back guarantee.
                                              This is an absolutely false statement. Perhaps this confusion resulted from a side business operated by one of our NuForce partner. He has a business called extremephono long before he joined NuForce and extremephono sells Oppo DVDP which is made by a Chinese company. Oppo has their own worldwide distribution and has NO RELATIONSHIP with NuForce.

NuForce is a totally independent US company founded in California. We are also known as Nphysics where we develop inverter for mobile power and solar systems.

Jason, CEO NuForce/Nphysics

Comment

• lvhung
                                                • Jun 2005

I admit that my GE player sounds a lot louder than the Pionner DV 575
                                                Don't know why ?

Comment

• RobP
                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                  • Nov 2004

Well Guys, I want to thank you all for your help, I went to my dealer this morning and found a killer deal on a RDV-1050. It is a improvement over the Pioneer, now my audio issues are a thing of the past. :T I also spent some quality time with the Rotel 1077 digital amp, but that will be another post..............
                                                  Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• bzrk
                                                    • Oct 2005

hurry up with that other post
                                                    Gr. Sebastian

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                      • Mar 2005

Excellent! :T

I have been very pleased with the audio/video playback of my RDV-1050. However, now I am playing the waiting game... to get my player back. LOL.

Comment

Working...
                                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                      Search Result for "|||"