X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • evilskillit
    • Oct 2008

PC as an Active Crossover

I have been looking for a good cheap crossover solution for a while now. I have tried doing a DIY passive line level crossover PLLXO. That worked great for about $13 but 2nd order slope wasn't sharp enough for me, plus the XO point is static so you just have to either get lucky or guess and build a couple of these things.

Also I tried ripping apart a cheap home theater in a box subwoofer and using the amp and electronics out of that for sub amplification, gain, crossover and phase control. It worked and for $0 it worked quite well (the HTIB sub was left over in my attic from one of my room mates moving out). But it still seemed to be only a 2nd order XO and the amplification was mediocre sounding.

Then 2 days ago I found out about software active crossovers. I have an old p3 800 laying around and an audigy 2 Zs soundcard for it so I decided to try that route. There are a few options the foobar2000 music player has an active crossover plugin FooXOdsp. This works with any soundcard that has 2 or more outputs and seems to be pretty flexible. There are a few other options linked on the fooxodsp web page.

Also if you have an EMU 10k1 or 10k2 based soundcard (most SB Live and Audigy cards) You can use the KX Project drivers for it which allows for all kinds of nifty things done to the sound at the driver level including crossover and mono sum. I am using this route and have done away with my preamp completely for the moment. I have the PC hooked up to an Arcam amp driving my mains using a 75hz 4th order highpass. The sub is driven by a HCA-1000 using mono summing and then a 75hz 4th order lowpass filter and a phase adjustment dsp. It sounds pretty darn good. It is hard to say if the PC/Soundcard combo sounds better/worse than my Parasound PHP-850 preamp did but the sub blends so much better with my mains that in my opinion the overall set up sounds much much better.

Want to try bi amping or even tri amping but dont have an active crossover and don't want to buy one to try it out. Or mabye you're just always broke like me? Use your PC, so far I am satisfied with the way it sounds and am having alot of fun.
  • BobEllis
    Super Senior Member
    • Dec 2005

If you have a sound card with multiple outputs check out http://www.thuneau.com/alloclite.htm It's only $59 and there's a free demo. You'll need ASIO drivers, check his support pages for help with that. I use it with an M-Audio Firewire410.

Comment

• mikela
      • Mar 2008

You may want to check out this http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...X&pagenumber=1 .

Mike

Comment

• evilskillit
        • Oct 2008

Cool, thanks for the links everybody the Loudspeaker Frequency Allocator Light, if it is what it says it is, would be awesome, and a steal for the price. What the guy is doing over at diyAudio is pretty neat but damn I don't see anything on the wave site for under $1800. In case you haven't noticed my thing is doing stuff cheap. At least until I have some money to throw around.

Comment

• BobEllis
          Super Senior Member
          • Dec 2005

Allocator sounds good, the only downside is the processing delay. This makes HT use difficult, unless you have a fairly healthy lip sync delay available in the video chain.

Comment

• evilskillit
            • Oct 2008

Yeah. Currently my stereo that is attached to the PC is used only for music. Some day a HT might be in the works but it would have to be after I am done with everything else because while I really enjoy music I really don't care that much about movies. I'm totally content to watch them in the living room on my 27" tv with a mediocre stereo. If I build a good DIY sub and tack it on to the living room system that will get me by for quite a while.

I'm not sure about most dvd playback software but it seems like VLC and MPC have built in functions for lip sync delay. But I can't remember for sure because I haven't messed with anything like that for a while.

Comment

• ch83575
              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by evilskillit
              Yeah. Currently my stereo that is attached to the PC is used only for music. Some day a HT might be in the works but it would have to be after I am done with everything else because while I really enjoy music I really don't care that much about movies. I'm totally content to watch them in the living room on my 27" tv with a mediocre stereo. If I build a good DIY sub and tack it on to the living room system that will get me by for quite a while.

I'm not sure about most dvd playback software but it seems like VLC and MPC have built in functions for lip sync delay. But I can't remember for sure because I haven't messed with anything like that for a while.
              I say leave the tv where it is, doin' what it's doin'. I don't know if you are married, but in this house if I wanted to set up a music server that was pc based that would be fine; my wife just wouldn't use it. If I wanted to use a pc based crossover for music that would be fine; she just wouldn't use it. If she had to turn on a computer and mess around with a mouse and settings in order to watch a movie, or, worse yet, TV my audio hoby would get bannished to the basement faster than you can say "obnoxiously loud dehumidifier". ;-)

Other than that have you read the "LTG Diary" thread on diyaudio? He uses a really awsome pc crossover solution. I would post the link, but the thread is hudge, and I am on my phone. It's worth the search though.

-Chad

Comment

• evilskillit
                • Oct 2008

Heh, I AM married, and I DO have a HT PC in the living room, I use it to play back divx and xvid files in standard def, and yes, my wife won't use it, she just pretends like it isn't there.

As for my good stereo and whatnot it is all set up in the spare bedroom by it's self. I go in there, shut the door, dim the lights and listen to music, it is like a nice little vacation from life, and that is how I like it.

Maybe some day I will put a projector in there but that is last on the list after better everything else in the stereo department.

Comment

• mikela
                  • Mar 2008

Cool, thanks for the links everybody the Loudspeaker Frequency Allocator Light, if it is what it says it is, would be awesome, and a steal for the price. What the guy is doing over at diyAudio is pretty neat but damn I don't see anything on the wave site for under $1800. In case you haven't noticed my thing is doing stuff cheap. At least until I have some money to throw around.
                  If you get a chance to dive into the thread I supplied, I believe you will find that cheaper alternatives are addressed. There is really a wealth of information there. I decided, given the WAF, to stay with less complex solutions that are easy to operate. I built a HTPC about 10 years ago but have abandoned that approach. However, I am seriously considering putting together a media server. Curt did such a great job :T on the passive crossovers in my sealed Statements that I don't really feel the need to move to an active solution. I may in the future do the biamp thing. Please keep us apprised of your progress.

Mike

Comment

• evilskillit
                    • Oct 2008

Thanks Mike. I'm looking into the threads when I have time.

As for why I am using an active solution it currently relates to me wanting to drive some DIY subs using a regular amp. Just ask anybody passive crossovers are not the best way to go with subs so right now that is my main interest however in the future I really like the idea of being able to buy a pair of drivers, put them in a baffle and try making them work with an active crossover without having to trial and error together a bunch of inductors and caps.

Comment

• mikela
                      • Mar 2008

I really like the idea of being able to buy a pair of drivers, put them in a baffle and try making them work with an active crossover without having to trial and error together a bunch of inductors and caps.
                      Yes that is the allure that drove me to look into it. I may revisit it in the future...but at the moment, I am happy with the Statements as is.

Comment

• bobhowell
                        • Jul 2008

I have been looking for something like this. I THINK this will do.

I want to varie the sub xover from what ever is default in my pc. I can't even find out what it is, muchless control it.

I built the ZBM4 and want to xover to my sub at 150hz to see how it sounds. I know that is high but I can build a better system for another room if I figure this out.

Is this how this works?

I have a xp based system with Realtek onboard 7.1 sound. The MB is a year old and in Vista the driver alows bass managment but not in XP and I don't want to switch yet.

Comment

• b_force
                          • Jun 2008

Very well performing card are the EMU1212 (or 1820) and also the Asus xonar cards (almost the same AD and DA as the emu1212m)

Comment

• bobhowell
                            • Jul 2008

Originally posted by b_force
                            Very well performing card are the EMU1212 (or 1820) and also the Asus xonar cards (almost the same AD and DA as the emu1212m)
                            I have a 6 yr old laptop; cel 2.2. Is there a good sound card out there that will make this into a dedicated source for my receiver and sub?
                            Last edited by ThomasW; 02 April 2009, 21:13 Thursday.

Comment

• Smokinghot
                              • Dec 2008

....my main interest however in the future I really like the idea of being able to buy a pair of drivers, put them in a baffle and try making them work with an active crossover without having to trial and error together a bunch of inductors and caps.
                              This is exactly why I'm following this thread....

My first thought was the behringer DCX, but I simply can't my hands on one cheaply enough. :cry:

This Allocator Light, may just be the ticket...and the missing piece I'm looking for. :T

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"