X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ironchef
    • Feb 2005

A or B channel - makes a difference?

I currently have my main speakers set up to use channel A, on my RA-1062 integrated. I'm not sure which is actually better, A, B or A+B.

The back of the unit says with channels A or B, it needs 4 ohms minimum load , A+B together is 8ohms minimum. I am driving 8-ohm B&W 603s3s, so this means that I should use A+B together? In other words, I could connect the left channel to A and the right channel to B.

I know the answer is do them all and choose which one sounds better, but are there other reasons for connecting a specific way, i.e prolongs the life of the unit, preserves the speakers, etc.

One other questions: I have an opportunity to buy some Monitor Audio GR-20s, as an upgrade to the B&Ws, but they are 3 years old. I can find no revision history of these beautiful looking speakers, does anyone know how they compare to the current model? In specific, the current literature seems to indicate that they are 3-way, but the seller remembers them as 2 1/2 way...Any reviews appreciated!
    Attached Files
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

Very confusing isn't it? Hope this helps:

A output and B output go to the same amp. Both are switchable On/Off. One pair of speakers go to A, one pair go to B. You would never have one pair connected to both.

It's designed for TWO sets of speakers (IE, indoor & outdoor). If you only use A speakers, you can safely drive a 4ohm speaker. If you only use B speakers, you can safely drive a 4ohm speaker. If you want A speakers and B speaker to play at the same time, BOTH speakers have to be rated at 8ohms.

Basically your amp can only handle a 4ohm load. Anytime you wire two speakers in together (remember A & B go to the same spot) the ohm load drops. Two 8ohm speakers together create a 4ohm load, the lowest your amp can handle.

You didn't list another set of speakers, but it looks like some are attached. If so, you have everything wired up fine. If both sets of wires go to the same speaker, I would move the B ones over to A as well.

Good luck on you other question, you might hae better luck posting that in the general audio forum.

Kevin D.

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"