X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ejfiii
    • May 2003

Why subwoofer so much louder from 1065?

Okay, first of all I have no idea how you people are calibrating your speaker levels with the AVIA DVD? First the 1065 has no component OSD for adjusting the level while the Tone is playing. Secondly, when you go to the Speaker level page of the 1065 OSD, it automatically plays the 1065 test tones.

So, I decided to recalibrate my speakers with the 1065 tones last night since I recently switched my fronts to small from large.

Weird that my sub (Sunfire MKII volume set to 50%) is 10db louder then the next closest speaker and has to be put to -8 on the 1065 OSD speaker setting.

Anyone have any ideas as to why it would be so much louder. Sure I could turn the volume control on the sub down, but I would rather leave that in the middle.

Just wondering.

Thanks as always.

E. J.

My HT
    My HT
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

Okay, first of all I have no idea how you people are calibrating your speaker levels with the AVIA DVD? First the 1065 has no component OSD for adjusting the level while the Tone is playing. Secondly, when you go to the Speaker level page of the 1065 OSD, it automatically plays the 1065 test tones.
    The Level adjustments are pretty acurate, so I usually go through and write down where each level needs to go and then apply them on in the menu, then go back and re-check.

Weird that my sub (Sunfire MKII volume set to 50%) is 10db louder then the next closest speaker and has to be put to -8 on the 1065 OSD speaker setting.

Anyone have any ideas as to why it would be so much louder. Sure I could turn the volume control on the sub down, but I would rather leave that in the middle.
    So it's 10db louder then before the switch to small, or this is the first time you've calibrated it with Avia? It's quite expected that you would need severe adjustment on the sub. I question why you would rather leave the sub at the 50% level instead of setting it to where it's 0 at the Rotel...

Right now you have a -2 to +18 range on the sub level via remote. Great if you only want to turn it up during some parts. Setting it to 0 gives you a -10 to +10 range to really help dial it in on all settings.

As far as why it's 10db louder, it's a different speaker, different frequencies, different amp, everythings different. Thats why they give you the volume control on the sub. It's a gain control just like the Rotel menu adjustments. Setting it higher and then setting the Rotel lower will no give you anymore output, in fact setting it lower *could* lead to better efficiency and better dynamic range, but generally the output should be the same if it's calibrated the same.

Kevin D.

Comment

• ejfiii
      • May 2003

Thanks Kevin. I guess you are right and I should leave the adjustability on the sub volume control. So I recalibrated again and now the volume control is a little lower on the sub, but internally on the 1065 its set to 0.

That makes sense.

I hear you about using the Avia and switching back and forth. I may plop in the Avia DVD just to see how close it is to the 1065 settings, but I am not sure its worth spending the extra time to switch back and forth if the levels are close.

Thanks again,

E. J.

My HT
      My HT

Comment

Working...
      😀
      😂
      🥰
      😘
      🤢
      😎
      😞
      😡
      👍
      👎
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"