X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tapesh
    • Oct 2003

Connecting Amplifier ? Help please.

Will be getting my first amplifier Rotel RB-1090 by end of next week. So preparations are on. I want to keep it separate from my HT setup.

Some real dumb qs.

1. Can you connect DVD/CD player audio out directly to amplifier. With built in processor the audio out should work isn’t it ? Actually I don’t know what role pre-amplifier plays ? I don’t have funds to buy a pre-amp and cant use HT receiver as that set up cant take this AMP. Is it possible or I will have to go for an pre-amp.
    2. What kind of interconnect cable should I use, cheap & good not the best & pricey.
    3. What speaker cables, I use monster speaker cable right now. Simple pink ones.

Speakers would be either of these.

Magnapan / Polk Lsi9/Lsi15 / ACI Saphire / B&W 603 S3

Thanks

Tapesh
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Well I am by no means an expert, especially whith a dedicated two-channel system, but I will see if I can help.

1) I'm not sure what you mean by built in processor? If you mean a combination reciever/ DVD player than yes you would be able to connect an amp directly to it's outputs. Otherwise, if it's a stand alone player you will need something to process the output of the player, for volume control if nothing else. Otherwise I believe you would get a deafening volume. Hazardous to your speakers for sure and probably your ears.

2) That's a tough question that I've learned only you can really answer. It's like asking "average Joe" what is a good wine? Then posing the same question to a wine connoisseur and everyone in between. You'll get responses anywhere from a good $10 bottle of wine to fabulous multi-thousand dollar bottles. And for their relative prices most of the suggestions would be correct. For the money they probably would be good but you might also not like a couple of them based on your own tastes... Having said that if you're in the $10-30/bottle price range check out your local Radioshack or Best Buy etc. If you want a little better quality Best Buy's better cables or a custom audio shop's lower end cables. Better than that? Try the custom audio shop's mid-level lines or check out Catcables (there's a link here at the bottom of the page, plus they offer a discount to Club Rotel members and their customer service is impeccable) or Blue Jeans Cable, Rhino Cable or a DIY company like Take Five Audio up here in Canada. Gene at Take 5 is awesome too. That's where I purchased my DIY materials (Belden 89259 & Vampire 5X/CB RCA's) which are working out nicely

3) Same as 2

J.R.

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
    Jason

Comment

• spiffnme
      • Apr 2003

#1) I think Aud is right on this.

#2) Again, what he said, though I'll risk making a suggestion. I've been hunting for a deal on cables for awhile now. (My brother is going to be buying an entire HT setup and needs all the necessary cables.) If you're looking to spend as much as $60 for a pair of interconnects, I'd go with Blue Jeans Cable (http://www.bluejeanscable.com). For what most places charge $50-60 for, they charge $24.95.

#3) It seems harder to find a good deal on speaker cables. If you want something better than simple 12awg cable, the best price I've found came from Heartland Cables http://www.heartlandcables.com

Finally it must be pointed out that Cat Cables (http://www.catcables.com) is a VERY popular brand for cables, and they offer "Club Rotel" members a discount. (Is that still in effect?) You should check them out as well. I believe there's a sticky thread at the top of Club Rotel with details.

www.funnyfarmcomics.net
      All Daredevil, All the Time!

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

1. Can you connect DVD/CD player audio out directly to amplifier. With built in processor the audio out should work isn’t it ? Actually I don’t know what role pre-amplifier plays ? I don’t have funds to buy a pre-amp and cant use HT receiver as that set up cant take this AMP. Is it possible or I will have to go for an pre-amp.
        There's a few CD players that can be connected directly to a power amp but by and large no you'll need a pre amp to control the volume.

2. What kind of interconnect cable should I use, cheap & good not the best & pricey.
        On the cheap the ones at Radio Shack aren't too bad and the Acoustic Research models are decent to. You'll find AR cables at Best Buy etc.
        If you're willing to spend more though I'd highly recomend http://www.catcables.com They make a range of cables from more budget orientated to the $$$ models but they all are built very well and will last you a very long time.

http://3.What speaker cables, I use ...mple pink ones

Speaker cables are usually less critical to over all sound then the room, speakers, gear orinterconnects (in order) so unless you're running very long runs with anything less then 14 guage you might want to upgrade but honestly given your questions above I'd leave your monster's alone for now as they are not a limiting factor just yet.

Comment

• gd
          • Jan 2003

Originally posted by tapesh
          Some real dumb qs.
          There are no dumb questions here...

Originally posted by tapesh
          Can you connect DVD/CD player audio out directly to amplifier. With built in processor the audio out should work isn’t it ? Actually I don’t know what role pre-amplifier plays? I don’t have funds to buy a pre-amp and cant use HT receiver as that set up cant take this AMP. Is it possible or I will have to go for an pre-amp.
          Andrew's right... there are maybe a couple rare CD players with built-in preamps / volume controls... what make is your DVD/CD player?

Forgive me if I'm not understanding your system, but why can't you use the receiver as a preamp?... virtually all HT receivers have pre output connections to accommodate an outboard amp such as the 1090... again, what make is your receiver?
          greg (gd to you)
          Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
          production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• Scarp
            • Mar 2003

Indeed ... Wadia makes a cd transport and DAC that can be connected directly on your poweramps, but the DAC has volume control on it. However these players are terribly expensive (> $8000) and lacks any flexibility to connecting multiple sources to your amps. However it can give ultimate performance (I listened to a WADIA/Mark Levinson/Wilson AUdio puppy/watt combination a while ago .... expensive (>$40.000 i think) but great!)

The role of a pre-amplifier is to be volume control, tone control (treble/bass) and a switch between different sources. The Rotel RC1070 and RC1090 are such pre-amplifiers. They only have analogue inputs, so your cd player or dvd players needs a DAC (digital to analogue converter). They also have only stereo inputs and outputs.

Then there are surround processors or pre/pro's, these are pre-amplifiers with built in processing for digital sources. The Rotel RSP1066 and 1098 are such machines. These have stereo analogue inputs, a multi channel analogue inputs and several digital inputs. This way you can bypass DAC's from cd players or dvd players and do this as late as possible. Depending on your cd/dvd player the dac in the pre/pro is better or worse than that of the cd/dvd player.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Some of the marantz CD players also have variable out's as well but I question the quality of the op amps in those units.

Comment

• Tapesh
                • Oct 2003

Thanks a lot for helping me understand imp. of pre-amp.

To explain why I asked that, Here is what I got.

Denon AVR-3300
                Denon Cassette Deck DRW-580
                Sony 300 CD Changer CDP-CX555ES
                Sony DVD Player 560D
                VCR SLV-N80

This setup is HT and lives in a Ikea wooden cabinet with no space left.

So when I purchased Rotel RB-1090 for my ST setup my problem was it wont fit in my current ent. Center being so heavy and oversized.

So that’s why I got this freaky & stupid idea that I can do without pre-amp.

Now this is how I have solved this. I am going with Antique Sound Lab’s tube pre-amp AQ2004 DT. Its just $299.00 and tube too. Best price best tech.

Even otherwise I had plans of moving to Tube ST setup and keeping Rotel in HT setup.

New system
                Sony 300 CD Changer CDP-CX555ES
                ASL AQ2004 DT PreAmp
                Rotel RB-1090
                Speaker – B&W 604/Polk Lsi9/ACI Sapphire

Speaker I will test with my new system and decide which one to go with.

So tell me am I on the right track ?

Thanks

Tapesh Chaturvedi

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"