• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • clarkbox
    • Aug 2005

1080 Polarity

Just purchased the Rotel 1080.

I cam across this addendum on the rotel site:

Did a search here, and around the Internet and have found some conflicting info. Whats the story? is the Right channel indeed mixed up?
  • Andrew M Ward
    • Apr 2005

easy to figure out

I don't know what the story is but you can hear the difference instantly when a speaker is out of phase.

try it both ways, you'll know in an instant.

Comment

• tboooe
      • Jun 2005

clarkbox:

I bought on in June and the markings on the amp is right. The addendum applies to an error in the manual.

Comment

• Cyclesberuff
        • Jun 2005

I agree with tbooe. When I purchased my 1080, out from the box came a leaflet called "Erratum of RB-1080" showing two different diagrams for the right channel speaker terminals.The lower diagram showed the correct polarity which is how my 1080 is set up. I must admitt I was confused as well.The leaflet is correcting the mistake in figure 2 page 4
        BTW I've had no problems with the 1080

Comment

• clarkbox
          • Aug 2005

Alright, thaks for clearing things up.

One more question... its it normal for one channel to heat up more than the other? I notice the right side of the amp gets MUCH hotter than the left.

Comment

• thyname
            • Jan 2005

Originally posted by clarkbox

One more question... its it normal for one channel to heat up more than the other? I notice the right side of the amp gets MUCH hotter than the left.
            So do I!!!

Comment

• RickF
              • Apr 2005

Originally posted by clarkbox

My 1080 has always ran quite a bit warmer on the left channel, I brought this question up on the forum a while back and the general consensus is to not worry about it. This particular amp stays powered up darn near 27/7 and I haven't had any problems whatsoever with it since new...which was winter of last year.

Comment

• Zoran
                • Apr 2005

I had the same problem (I have been measuring the temperature with two digital termometers on the RB-1080' top cover, one of each side! Showed 8 degrees Celsius warmer left channel!) It never caused any listenable problems, but... It's naturaly to acquire an impression something is not in the best order...

I am not electrician, but I'd guess there is some unbalance in bias between two channels. It's not difficult to be fixed by service-men, I think.

Comment

• Andrew M Ward
                  • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Zoran
                  I had the same problem (I have been measuring the temperature with two digital termometers on the RB-1080' top cover, one of each side! Showed 8 degrees Celsius warmer left channel!) It never caused any listenable problems, but... It's naturaly to acquire an impression something is not in the best order...

I am not electrician, but I'd guess there is some unbalance in bias between two channels. It's not difficult to be fixed by service-men, I think.
                  Easy boys...
                  I have several different amplifiers from several different manufacturers. None of the two channel amplifiers aer equally warm on both sides.

This includes some very expensive and excellent sounding Mark Levinson Amps.

Strangly enough except one, A small 60 watt Rotel from the early 90's it has two smallish square (old school) transformers in it and it runs about the same temp all around...

other than that, they all have a "hot" side...

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"