X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • She Loves You
    • Oct 2004

Rotel RC 1090 Sub hook up question

Hello,

I have a Rotel RC 1090 pre amp and I would like to hook up a subwoofer to my system. The dude at the hi fi store was telling me that I would go from the amp RB1080 to the sub and then from the sub to the pre amp.. I have my pre amp and my amp connected via balanced inputs.. how would I go about adding the sub to the system? Which input out put and interconnects would I need?

Thank you in advance for the assistance!
  • bigburner
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2005

She Loves You, I see from your previous post that you have a pair of B&W CM6 speakers. I suspect that these provide pretty good bass at low to moderate volumes but probably get a bit stressed at high volume. Do you ever play your system at high volume? If so, do you agree with my analysis?

I have a pair of B&W CDM9NT speakers and a B&W ASW750 sub. The CDM9NT’s are similar to the CM6's, i.e. a 3-way floorstander. I've wired the ASW750 using RCA cables so that the output of my RC-1070 pre-amp goes to the input of the sub, and the output of the sub goes to the input of my RB-1080 amp, also via RCA cables. This method of connecting the sub enables the high-pass filter on the 750 to limit the frequencies being sent to my CDM9NT’s to 80Hz and above. I've set the low-pass filter on the 750 to 80Hz so that the sub only plays 80Hz and below. This takes the base load off the 9NTs, enabling them to play at much higher volume without fear of distortion. I've also found that this results in the best stereo image because the sub isn't duplicating frequencies being played on the 9NTs.

If you don't play your hi-fi very loud then you have another option. You can run your CM6's at full range by connecting your sub to the second pair of outputs on your RC-1090 pre-amp. Your RB-1080 would continue to be connected directly to the RC-1090. This method results in your CM6's continuing to play the low end bass frequencies as they do now.

You haven't stated what sort of inputs your proposed subwoofer will accept, e.g. speaker level, RCA, or XLR. If it accepts XLR then this would be the best way to connect it to your pre-amp. I use RCA because neither the RC-1070 nor the ASW750 supports XLR.

If any part of the above doesn't make sense then just yell out.
    Last edited by bigburner; 09 August 2005, 06:34 Tuesday.

Comment

• lvhung
      • Jun 2005

Rel ST sub use the Neutrick connect to the power amp
      At REL we make powered subwoofer speakers for stereo & home theater systems. Our award-winning home theater subwoofers with wireless capabilities elevate any system. Free shipping on all orders. Official online store.

Comment

• abolomey
        • Jul 2007

Hi,
        Sorry to revamp such an old thread... I have a very similar stereo setup:
        - RC-1090 PreAmp
        - RB-1080 Amp
        - B&W 703's
        And I want to install a ASW-750 subwoofer.

My preamp is connected through balanced XLR connectors to my amplifier, and I want to stay that way. The preamp has to pairs of RCA outputs I can use, but is this safe? Preamp manual says:
        "NOTE: The RC-1090 has both RCA and XLR type output connectors. The two sets of outputs must not be used at the same time."

Can anyone confirm that I will be able to connect the preamp to amp direct through XLR, AND connect the subwoofer through the RCA connectors, without "burning" or affecting anything?

Thanks for your help!!!

PS: I know with this setup, the speakers will work full range...

Comment

• vifferboy
          • Mar 2007

The Neutrick connection goes from speaker outputs on your power amp and there are no conncetions to the preamp. I have a RC1090, RB1080, Dynaudio Focus 110 speakers and an MJ Accoustic sub set up that way ...

Steve

Comment

• Kevin D
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Oct 2002

Originally posted by abolomey
            My preamp is connected through balanced XLR connectors to my amplifier, and I want to stay that way. The preamp has to pairs of RCA outputs I can use, but is this safe? Preamp manual says:
            "NOTE: The RC-1090 has both RCA and XLR type output connectors. The two sets of outputs must not be used at the same time."

Can anyone confirm that I will be able to connect the preamp to amp direct through XLR, AND connect the subwoofer through the RCA connectors, without "burning" or affecting anything?
            Um, no. Manual is correct. Plugging in the RCA's will at least disable the XLR's and at most blow something up. If you want to use a sub and XLR, you will need to get a speaker level to line-level converter and hook the sub up to the amplifier output.

Kevin D.

Comment

• abolomey
              • Jul 2007

So I will not be able to connect the ASW-750 with using the XLR from Preamp to Amp... because the sub does not have a Neutrik Speakon connector.
              The only way will be to connect through RCA connectors from Preamp to amp AND Preamp to Sub. I am correct?

Thanks...

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"