X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pbarata
    • Feb 2003

Mains protection activates often with my RMB-1075

I’ve the “European version” of Rotel RMB-1075 which means that works with 220 Volts /50 Hz mains voltage. The protection is ensured by a 15 Ampére breaker.

Whenever I power on the unit, it goes off often. Any clue on what could be wrong with it?

Thx
    Movies: Samsung LCD LE37A557, Rotel RSP-1066 & RMB-1075, Sony PS3, VdH D-102 Hybrid III interc, QED XT-350 & Supra Rondo 4x2,5 speaker cable, QED Qunex P75 coax, Monitor Audio Silver 5i/8i/10i speakers, REL Quake sub, QED Qunex SR-SW subwoofer cable, IXOS XHT458 HDMI, Supra LoRad, Isotek Mini Sub GII;
    Music: Rega Planar 3, Goldring 1042, Vincent PHO-8, Krell KAV-280cd, Krell KAV-400xi, B&W 703, Siltech SQ-28 Classic G5 (XLR), Siltech LS-68 Classic Mk2, Nordost Vishnu, QED Qonduit MDH6.
  • soundhound
    • Mar 2004

When you say "off" you mean the l.e.d.'s for the protection circuits come on? The power l.e.d. stays on but there is no sound? You don't have speaker wires touching or close to one another? What speakers do you use? If you can give more, specific information we can help.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Please give us some more info on just what's happening. Is it the amp that's shutting down or the breaker on the wall? Do you have speakers connected?

Comment

• lvhung
        • Jun 2005

Sell your main conditioner !

Comment

• mariachi
          • Aug 2003

I think he could be referring to the fact that when you first power on the unit, all the protection light up and then turn off, which is normal...

-Vic

Comment

• csuzor
            • Nov 2004

I think he's referring to the household circuit breaker going off when he power on the 1075. That would be strange... the total load on that circuit breaker could be close to 15A, and the 1075 just tips it over the limit and it trips out.
            If it is easy to change the circuit breaker, to make a test, swap it out with a 20A or more, and see if it trips. Or turn off all other appliances and try the 1075.
            You may have to plug some components into other circuits, or you could have a defective circuit breaker which is too sensitive.
            My 1075 doesn't trip the 15A (220V, france) circuit breaker, ever.

Comment

• pbarata
              • Feb 2003

Sorry, I was not precise. It's the breaker on the wall which goes off, with or without my mains conditioner. It happens 4 in 5 times I switch on the RMB-1075 unit. Never happened with other components, RSP-1066, RCD-1070’ and Pioneer DVD player.

Everything is connected and I'm sure that there are no speakers wires touching each other. I use QED cabling with QED bananas and speakers are Monitor Audio Silver 8i (front) /5i (surround) and 10i (centre).
              Movies: Samsung LCD LE37A557, Rotel RSP-1066 & RMB-1075, Sony PS3, VdH D-102 Hybrid III interc, QED XT-350 & Supra Rondo 4x2,5 speaker cable, QED Qunex P75 coax, Monitor Audio Silver 5i/8i/10i speakers, REL Quake sub, QED Qunex SR-SW subwoofer cable, IXOS XHT458 HDMI, Supra LoRad, Isotek Mini Sub GII;
              Music: Rega Planar 3, Goldring 1042, Vincent PHO-8, Krell KAV-280cd, Krell KAV-400xi, B&W 703, Siltech SQ-28 Classic G5 (XLR), Siltech LS-68 Classic Mk2, Nordost Vishnu, QED Qonduit MDH6.

Comment

• mjb
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by pbarata
                Sorry, I was not precise. It's the breaker on the wall which goes off, with or without my mains conditioner. It happens 4 in 5 times I switch on the RMB-1075 unit. Never happened with other components, RSP-1066, RCD-1070’ and Pioneer DVD player.
                How many Amps is this breaker? It is probably too low, especially if other equipment is on the same circuit. The 1075 has a large current in-rush at switch on due to all those lovely capacitors charging up. This is normal. Also, plug the 1075 directly into the outlet, do not use an extension or multi-distribution cable.
                - Mike

Main System:
                B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
                Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Agreed its likely that there's too high a load on that line as the 1075 does demand a lot of current when it first powers up.

Comment

• Glen B
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Jul 2004

IMO it is unwise to install a higher rated breaker, even just for a test, without knowing the size and condition of the wiring. The 15A breaker is there to protect the wiring. Installing a 20A or higher rated breaker poses a risk of damage to the circuit conductors and fire.
                    Last edited by Glen B; 12 July 2005, 16:02 Tuesday. Reason: corrected typo

Comment

• PewterTA
                      • Nov 2004

Easy way to test is to make sure everything else is shut off that might be on that breaker. Turn on the 1075 and if it trips it...then there is a problem with the 1075. If not, then slowly turn everything else on until you find that one things trips it. Mark what you have on and total it up to see if you break the 15amp limit (which is something like 1700 watts, maybe less, I can't remember off the top of my head).

I run my 1095, with my 1098, TV, DVD, CD player, and PS2, along with probably something else on the line (as it's shared between two rooms) and have no issues. As long as everything isn't turned on at the exact same time. The 1098/1095 turn on at the same time as well as my 250watt power supply to run the fans...so I know that's a big current draw so I try to turn that on first before anything else.

Oh yeah, this is all ran off a 15 amp circuit as I would have to run new wire to use a 20 amp (I believe). But it all works and is a temp location, so it doesn't matter to me.
                      Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                      -Dan

Comment

• mjb
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Mar 2005

pbarata, I've just re-read your post, and noticed you say there's a 15 amp breaker there. This is standard for house outlets in Europe (220v), and I would not increase it. Either the circuit is shared with a water heater or something, or you have a faulty 1075. My 1075 is also on a 15 amp circuit, shared with some other stuff and it never blows. csuzor doesn't trip his 15 amp breaker either.
                        - Mike

Main System:
                        B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS

Comment

• pbarata
                          • Feb 2003

Originally posted by lvhung
                          Sell your main conditioner !
                          Why your suspicion on the mains conditioner?

Comment

• sprout
                            • Jun 2005

This will be due to the Toroidal transformer energizing.

Most peoples amp will be on a 32A breaker so this is not noticed.

If left on standby, it will never happen, not sure of lower power standby using triggers to wake.

Cheers

sprout

Comment

• mjb
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by sprout
                              This will be due to the Toroidal transformer energizing.

Most peoples amp will be on a 32A breaker so this is not noticed.

If left on standby, it will never happen, not sure of lower power standby using triggers to wake.

Cheers

sprout
                              Blanket statements about regional things like power are dangerous! The UK uses 32 amp breakers because the circuit is wired as a ring. Germany (trying to avoid another blanket statement) uses 16 amp for linear circuits on a per-room basis. 220v @ 32 amps = 7KW (yes, seven thousand watts, W=EI, ignoring power factor). Rotel rates a 1075 at 800 watts, thats around 4 amps at 220v for full output. I am the first to admit there will be some in-rush at switch on, but surely not 7KW, or even 4KW.
                              - Mike

Main System:
                              B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS

Comment

• sprout
                                • Jun 2005

Originally posted by mjb
                                Blanket statements about regional things like power are dangerous! The UK uses 32 amp breakers because the circuit is wired as a ring. Germany (trying to avoid another blanket statement) uses 16 amp for linear circuits on a per-room basis. 220v @ 32 amps = 7KW (yes, seven thousand watts, W=EI, ignoring power factor). Rotel rates a 1075 at 800 watts, thats around 4 amps at 220v for full output. I am the first to admit there will be some in-rush at switch on, but surely not 7KW, or even 4KW.
                                Yes sure I shouls have mentioned here in the UK 32A ring main, but I think you will need to do more reading on Toroidal Tx's

Cheers

sprout

PS I assume you meant W=VI not EI

Comment

• rnoble
                                  • Sep 2004

There's an inrush of current when amps turn on. Just leave it on all the time and you won't have the problem. They use very little power like this.

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"