X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • miataguy
    • Jun 2005

RX-855 needs some nursing

My mom has the RX-855 and has used it daily for years.

Now we've a problem with the unit--she uses it exclusively as a receiver and tunes to weak FM stations.

She lives in Northeast (CT) and therefore we have humid summers, dry winters. This summer the problem has become more prevelant--the unit will distort the sound and stations will fade out, but the signal strength meter doesn't change.

I've blown out quite a bit of dust, and was hesitant to use PC board cleaners at first, in order to reduce the risk of ruining things. Blow-out seemed to help some, but the problem has returned.

My mom has no other source, so to check to see if it is in the amplifier section would take some trouble, although it is not impossible.

Could this be the tuner section, or what??

Thanks

Miataguy
  • miataguy
    • Jun 2005

So I could use some help here...

My previous message may have been a bit wordy :Z , anyway what does one do to clean up one of these units?

Comment

• Taito
      • Sep 2004

You should be able to get hold of some spray that repels moisture and is non-conductive ie. safe for use on circuit boards. You could try that. Check out the radio shack or similar website.

-Ben

Comment

• miataguy
        • Jun 2005

Thanks, I've got the cleaner can (comes with a brush on the end of the sprayer) from the Shack.

Actually I'm a bit more interested in finding out whether this is a common ailment of old equipment and whether I should concentrate on the boards that have High-impedance wiring and tracing that could be more sensitive to dust contamination.

Is this going to be a big project?

Comment

• gd
          • Jan 2003

Not that cleaning out the gear is a bad idea, but...

I'm skeptical that an elaborate circuit board cleaning is going to improve tuner reception.

Why not try a new / better antenna first?... or re-positioning the one you already have?
          greg (gd to you)
          Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
          production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• miataguy
            • Jun 2005

Yes, that is a good point. I guess that will eliminate that from the list.

Thanks

Comment

• Taito
              • Sep 2004

It would also be a good idea to plug in anther source to determine whether the problem is on the tuner side or the pre/power amp side. You say your mother has no other source. What about something like a VCR? It is likely that there is something around the place that you could use to check. Could it be your speakers? Are speaker connections secure?

-Ben

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"