X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bigfanga
    • Jun 2005

1068 vs. 1098

I'm in the market for an upgrade from a receiver and I am looking at Rotel separates. Besides the TFT display, what does the 1098 have to offer over the 1068? While I like the idea of the display, it's not really high on my list of priorities.

Thanks
  • Adz
    • Jan 2004

I had the 1098 and at the time wished I had bought the 1068. There are plenty of threads on this topic -- most conclude there isn't a a whole lot of discernable difference, if any, between the two. Go for the 1068 - put the extra $1,200-1,300 into something else. Better yet, buy it used - there is always one for sale and I bet someone on this Forum may be selling.
    Adz

Comment

• mpauline
      • Dec 2003

While I agree that there is a relatively small discernable difference I absolutely disagree that there is no difference. I purposely waited to listen to the 1068 before buying the 1098. I also auditioned many higher end processors such as Lexicon and Krell before making the final decision.

Was the 1098 as good as the Lexicon. No it was not. Was there a small difference. Well maybe a "little more" than a small difference. Is the 1098 better than the 1068? In my opinon it has a better soundfield, more open, a little clearer with the surrounds, etc.

Everything in life as a consumer is subjective. We always like to feel that we got the same quality and performance but paid less for it. The same is true for cars, home theater components, etc. The 1098 was my choice however you need to let your ear and your pocketbook decide. Plus keep in mind the law of diminishing returns when it comes to purchasing a processor. The more you spend the generally closer to audio nirvana you will reach but it will be in very small increments.

Mark

Comment

• DrJRapp
        Super Senior Member
        • Apr 2003

I'm one who purchased the 1098 and if I had to do it again would go for a 1068. The difference together in a/b is very small. In surround modes it would be impossible to tell the two apart in blindfold testing. The 1098 seems to have the slight edge in noise floor when listening to music.
        Last edited by DrJRapp; 19 June 2005, 19:17 Sunday.
        Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• Adz
          • Jan 2004

I think Dr. J is right on. I couldn't tell the difference between them with movies either. Mark, you basically paid for the TFT Screen which is really nice if you use it a lot. I believe they have the same DSP, same DACs, same circuitry for the most part --- at the end of the day -- the same engineering. But the 1068 doesn't have the video screen which could theoretically introduce some degradation to the audio side of things.
          Adz

Comment

• mpauline
            • Dec 2003

Well I guess we will just have to agree to disagree on this one . I wish that when I spent hours in the local home theater shop that I did not hear a difference as I would have saved some money. But I cannot say that I have suffered from any buyers remorse when it comes to purchasing the 1098. I did hear a difference and like I mentioned previously I said that it was not a big difference.

I did not buy the 1098 for the video screen however it is very handy in my home theater as the gear is outside the viewing area.

As I previously mentioned, I think that you should demo each and let your ear's decide. In the end it does not really matter if I think it sounds better or someone else think it sounds the same.

Enjoy the A/B testing and either way you will purchase a great pre/pro for the money.

Mark

Comment

• RebelMan
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Adz
              I believe they have the same DSP, same DACs, same circuitry for the most part...
              Actually, the RSP-1098 uses more advanced DSP circuitry than the RSP-1068. While the 1068 does share some features with the 1098, such as a torodial transformer, it has far more in common with the RSX-1056 DSP (DAC/ADC components) wise.

If you search this forum, will find an email reply from Rotel that was posted stating that the 1068 and the 1056 are virtually identical (sounding) when both are paired with an outboard amp.

While much of the additional cost of the 1098 is due in part to the TFT screen, not all of it is. If you fail to hear a difference between the two and you don’t fancy a TFT screen then you would probably be better off with the 1068.

By the way, I haven’t found a professional review yet that hasn’t given the RSP-1098 the highest of marks, while the same cannot be said of the RSP-1068. The 1068 is good but the 1098 is better, if you can justify its higher price.
              "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• bigfanga
                • Jun 2005

Thanks for the replies. I am trying to decide between the 1098, the 1068 or the new Arcam AVP 700, which will be available any day now. The big problem is that there is only one Rotel dealer in Atlanta and he is way out inthe burbs and is closed on Saturdays so I have to take time off work to go listen. The Arcam dealer is one of the appointment only types, which I don't like much either.

I'm pretty much set on a 1095 amp, maybe used from Audiogon.

Also, I am looking at speakers and would appreciate any input y'all might have regarding the following:

Anthony Gallo Reference III

Onix Reference 3

Dali Helicon 400

Thanks again.
                Last edited by bigfanga; 18 June 2005, 22:35 Saturday. Reason: Addendum

Comment

• Adz
                  • Jan 2004

[QUOTE=RebelMan]Actually, the RSP-1098 uses more advanced DSP circuitry than the RSP-1068. While the 1068 does share some features with the 1098, such as a torodial transformer, it has far more in common with the RSX-1056 DSP (DAC/ADC components) wise. [QUOTE]

Hmmm. I guess I stand corrected but its not what I recall. I recall when I looked back at this (i.e., when I was pissed off) that they had the same CS 49400 chip (and plenty of other great pre/pros use this chip), same DAC/ADC, same power supply, same everything I think. I did a quick search but couldn't find anything. Can you point me in the right direction that shows the 1098 having better components?
                  Adz

Comment

• gregoree
                    • Feb 2005

I have recently been sent a review on the RSP-1068 which in the article states "In line with the affordability of the RSP-1068, its fitted with four stereo AK4395 DAC's instead of the more advanced CS43122 DAC's used in the RSP-1098." The review was very complimentary of the RSP-1068 and they did a notice a "slightly leaner presentation" from the RSP-1068 as against the RSP-1098. The review was by Hi-Fi News, a UK publication. I have a RSP-1068 and am more than happy with it.

Comment

• calgaryguy
                      • Apr 2005

1098 is the better sounding....

Hi there...

As I posted in an earlier thread a couple months ago, I've had the chance to audition both the 1068 and 1098 in my system. When I initially acquired the 1068, I was also experimenting with power cords and interconnects. I ended up getting the synergistic master coupler ac power cord for my 1075 amplifier...and the Harmonic Technology ac11 power cords for my pre-processor...and my digital components. The power cords definitely improved the sound of my system. Voices and instruments were more focused...and the soundstage widened. The noise floor also lowered; there was a distinct lack of background noise (not that I really noticed any before...but it just seemed to be more "dead" in the background. When I switched over to the 1098, however, I noticed a rather large sonic improvement. The 1098 had the uncanny ability to make the speakers disappear. The sound seemed to be coming from mid-air in between the speakers; voices were articulate and convincing...as if the singer was in the room. I brought a friend over to do a listening test. When listening to stereo cd recordings, I always play the the stereo in 2 channel mode (although I have 5 channels currently for movies only). When I played Natalie Merchant's Ophelia recording, my friend looked at me and was amazed at the sound. So I asked him if he could point out which speakers were playing...and he pointed at my center channel speaker. When I told him that the two front speakers were playing..he didn't believe me. He went up to the center channel speaker and stuck his ear to the speaker to make sure it indeed wasn't playing.

My front speakers are an older pair of B&W Concept 90 CM2's from the late 1980's. Until I acquired the 1098, I had never thought my system was capable of re-creating what I had heard in dealer showrooms (systems costing $100,000 +!!!!). I thought the next logical upgrade would be to upgrade my speakers. However, I finally think that with the 1098...and the powercables/interconnects that I've recently acquired, my system can actually reproduce much of what I've been searching for....I've rediscovered my entire audio collection once again...listening to what I've been missing from my older cd's. Amazing stuff...!

So..my point is this....If you've auditioned both the 1068 and the 1098, and don't hear a major difference, I would try experimenting with power cables and interconnects. Many dealers now offer a 30 day guarantee for such tweaks.....Give it a try. You'll be amazed! I thought the sound from the 1068 was incredible to begin with...but the 1098 took the soundstage to a new level of performance I've never heard from my system before.

Comment

• Mark1Ace1
                        • Jun 2005

I chose the 1098 because of its sound. Although the 1068 was good, I felt the 1098 coupled with the M&K THX speakers, sounded better. Of course, that is not to say, I would have not had the 1068, but funds were availabe so my choice was already a forgone conclusion.

Mark

Comment

• csuzor
                          • Nov 2004

I am not sure the 1068 and 1098 use different DSP or DAC or ADC. I found a site with this info:

PREAMPS DSP DAC ADC
                          Rotel 1098 CS494003 CS43122 AK5383
                          Rotel 1068 CS494003 CS43122 AK5383

The AK4395 is used by the TAG and Anthem D1 preamps, so it can't be too bad, if it is used in the 1068 as well. I guess I will have to open my 1068 to find out.

The specs on these DACs are almost identical, both stereo 24bit 192kHz, with slightly different technologies. However, if there is a difference in sound, I doubt it comes from there.

I always go for value for money, and the 1068 is that choice, any sonic difference would be minimal compared to putting the extra money into other components. But if you have too much cash, or need the TFT screen, get the 1098.

Comment

• DrJRapp
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Apr 2003

=Adz
                            Hmmm. I guess I stand corrected but its not what I recall. I recall when I looked back at this (i.e., when I was pissed off) that they had the same CS 49400 chip (and plenty of other great pre/pros use this chip), same DAC/ADC, same power supply, same everything I think. I did a quick search but couldn't find anything. Can you point me in the right direction that shows the 1098 having better components?
                            The 1098 and the 1068 use the same processor. The 1098 has more memory, better DACs and slightly better overall componentry (bits and pieces such as resistors and capacitors are of tighter tolerances. The 1098 also has 3 power supplies (one for audio circuitry, one for the screen an one for standby) vs the 1068s one. The interior organization and overall build quality is better in the 1098 because there is more room to put things. The insides of a 1098 are a work of art.
                            Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• RebelMan
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by csuzor
                              I am not sure the 1068 and 1098 use different DSP or DAC or ADC. I found a site with this info:

PREAMPS DSP DAC ADC
                              Rotel 1098 CS494003 CS43122 AK5383
                              Rotel 1068 CS494003 CS43122 AK5383

I always go for value for money, and the 1068 is that choice,...
                              I have found some discrepencies reported with the 1098 chipset, so I am no longer completely confident in what it really sports. However, I do know the Rotel RSX-1056 uses the same DSP, DAC and ADC as the 1068 listed above.

csuzor, I live by the value for my money philosophy too. Hence, I am curious why you chose the 1068 over the 1056 to pair with that awesome RMB-1075 you have?

Comment

• weijst
                                • Jun 2004

Side info:

Last summer I got myself the RSP-1068 + RMB-1075 combination and I recently added the RT-1080 tuner. If I had to do it all over again, I think I would give the RSX-1056 + RMB-1095 combination a more serious consideration...
                                Marantz SR7005, UD5007; B&W SCMS, Nautilus SCM1; Velodyne SPL-1200R

Comment

• csuzor
                                  • Nov 2004

Originally posted by RebelMan
                                  csuzor, I live by the value for my money philosophy too. Hence, I am curious why you chose the 1068 over the 1056 to pair with that awesome RMB-1075 you have?
                                  Hi guys,
                                  I compared the 1056 Vs 1068+1075, but never the 1056 + 1075. The 1068+1075 combo was sonically superior on B&W 703. And the 1056 costs more in France than the 1068 (2000 Vs 1700), maybe that's clever local marketing, or maybe the 1056 is priced attractively to get US customers into the Rotel club. I felt that a pure preamp may not suffer discolorations caused by extra amp circuitry, which I wouldn't need, so I never considered the 1056 as a preamp.
                                  As for the 1056 + 1080 combo, this would not work for me because I want equal amplification for L / C / R for mch music.
                                  What is better in the DSP in the 1098? Maybe the chipset has evolved over time within the 1098?

Comment

• RebelMan
                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                    • Mar 2005

The US price is $1299.00 vs $1699.00 for the 1056 and 1068 respectively. Seems quite strange that the 1056 would be price more than the 1068 in France. Just goes to show that a person shouldn't judge a product by price alone, eh!

Upon intial inspection, it would seem the 1068 is a superior pre/pro to the 1056 and it is if the 1056's internal power amplifier is engaged. But this is not the case when the 1056 is used with an outboard power amplifier. While the 1068 is a "cleaner" pre/pro than the 1056, under normal circumstances this improvement is undetectable in Rotel's opinon and in mine although some forum members would disagree.

Comment

• NewBuyer
                                      • Feb 2005

I could tell a difference in background hiss between the 1056 and 1068 when each was paired with the 1075 amplifier. The 1068 had a lesser amount of background hiss. Neither had a large amount of hiss, just the 1068 had less. It was noticeable only when music was extremely quiet or if the source was paused.

Comment

• lvhung
                                        • Jun 2005

Go listen

Comment

• D-bucket
                                          • Jun 2005

Originally posted by weijst
                                          Side info:

Last summer I got myself the RSP-1068 + RMB-1075 combination and I recently added the RT-1080 tuner. If I had to do it all over again, I think I would give the RSX-1056 + RMB-1095 combination a more serious consideration...
                                          I'm curious, after using the RSP-1068/RMB-1075 combo for a year, would your reconsideration be based more on any sonic differences in the pre/pro of the 1056 vs 1068 or more on any effects of the power differences of the 1095 vs 1075?

Comment

• weijst
                                            • Jun 2004

- The sonic differences in the pre/pro section between the 1056 and the 1068 are very small and hardly audible. Especially when you a) bypass the amp section of the 1056 by using an external amp and b) use the stereo byapss mode, which I do a lot.
                                            - The 1056 has an onboard tuner and the RT-1080's pricing in the Netharlands is downright adsurd. Back when I got the combo I never thought I'd start to miss a tuner
                                            - Besides extra power, the combo 1056 + external amp would have given me extra channels
                                            Marantz SR7005, UD5007; B&W SCMS, Nautilus SCM1; Velodyne SPL-1200R

Comment

• RebelMan
                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by weijst
                                              - The sonic differences in the pre/pro section between the 1056 and the 1068 are very small and hardly audible. Especially when you a) bypass the amp section of the 1056 by using an external amp and b) use the stereo byapss mode, which I do a lot.
                                              I agree. When I am listening to music, I use my RB-1080 power amp to drive my B&W 803S speakers in stereo bypass mode all of the time. I only use the 1056 as a power amp when I am watching movies to drive the center and surrounds. I am much more critical when I am listening to music than I am watching movies.

Comment

• D-bucket
                                                • Jun 2005

Ok and thanks for your perspectives! It seems that both of you are suggesting that the amp deserves as much consideration as the pre/pro especially when listening to stereo music.

Comment

• Azeke
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • Mar 2003

Originally posted by D-bucket
                                                  Ok and thanks for your perspectives! It seems that both of you are suggesting that the amp deserves as much consideration as the pre/pro especially when listening to stereo music.
                                                  That is correct, a stereo amp may also need to be considered.

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• thyname
                                                    • Jan 2005

Originally posted by RebelMan
                                                    I agree. When I am listening to music, I use my RB-1080 power amp to drive my B&W 803S speakers in stereo bypass mode all of the time. I only use the 1056 as a power amp when I am watching movies to drive the center and surrounds. I am much more critical when I am listening to music than I am watching movies.
                                                    I plan to purchase a Rotel HT in a year or so. For now I have RC1070/RB1080 combo with RCD-1072 for a stereo setup. Do you guys think that there will be not any difference in a stereo quality between RSX-1056/RB1080 combo versus RSP1068/RB1080 combo? If yes, then this will be a cheaper solution for me. Just like you, I care a lot about the quality of stereo, and not as much for HT (I know that RSX-1056 will be OK for HT for me, but I am suspicious about 2 ch music quality through zone seting of it).

Comment

• soundhound
                                                      • Mar 2004

Thyname, I did a true a/b comparison @ my dealer the day I bought my RSP-1068. The 1068 opened up at a much lower volume than the 1056 did. Both were running into a RB-1080, analog bypass. My sales man, thru switchgear was able to keep the same source, amps, speaks, and switch pre's only. Ultimately I was after the best sound possible, at the lowest volume possible, and the 1068 provides me with that.

Comment

• csuzor
                                                        • Nov 2004

Let's conclude the 1068 is a slightly better preamp than the 1056, that seems to be the consensus. Let's also conclude that the processor / preamp components are very similar (identical in most cases).

Then the price of the 1056 should be more based on the additional components for the amp and tuner sections, but less based on a "pure audio quality" criteria as a preamp. That explains the choices made in the relative sales prices in different regions.

I would say the 1056 is a bargain in the US, and the 1068 the better choice everywhere if you can also afford a separate amp and tuner, and the 1068 is an easier choice in Europe.

So what about the 1098? Any marginal advantage it may have, is heavily paid for, so only for richer individuals.

Agreeable summary?

Comment

• DrJRapp
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • Apr 2003

Pricing, from a marketing standpoint, doesn't relate directly to cost or performance, but rather to competition. The 1056 is a bargain relative to the 1068 because they are not intended to compete with each other. (That only happens here) The 1056 is in a competitive class with other receivers and the 1068 is in a competitive class with other entry level processors. Each is priced with it's market segment positioning in mind.
                                                          Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• csuzor
                                                            • Nov 2004

Not sure I agree DrJRapp.
                                                            How do you explain the difference in pricing 1056/1068 between US (1300/1700) / Europe (2000/1700)? I think the 1056 is priced as a lure into Rotel gear in the US, and its profit margin in Europe is similar to other Rotels.
                                                            And I am sure, every person who eventually buys a 1056 in a HiFi shop, has thought about buying the 1068 instead, or vice versa, weighing up the pros and cons.
                                                            In addition, I believe 50% of purchasers choose the brand first, then look at what they can afford within that brand. The other 50% are in the category you mention, they have a budget and they know they want a receiver or separates, so they look at what is available at their price.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                                              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by thyname
                                                              Do you guys think that there will be not any difference in a stereo quality between RSX-1056/RB1080 combo versus RSP1068/RB1080 combo? ...but I am suspicious about 2 ch music quality through zone seting of it).
                                                              There are a few technical differences, however, you may not hear them or if you do hear them they may not justify the extra expense.

Under bypass mode, absolutely no processing of the incoming signal is performed, with regard to Rotel products. How one can really delineate the sonic differences between the 1056 and the 1068 under these conditions I find perhaps a little exaggerated. I am not doubting what one hears, but the manner in which the test was conducted.

It has been my experience that most sales people fail to properly configure their systems for true A/B comparisons. For instance, on one occasion my ears detected a disconnected (bi-wired) lead into one of the speakers, yet the salesman listening with me in the same room didn't.

Cases like this happen far more often than they should, and this was just one example of it. I doubt these occurrences are intentionally designed just inadvertently over looked. In either case, without proper supervision, a person needs to exercise a little caution about what they are really hearing.

Comment

• soundhound
                                                                • Mar 2004

My vote is for lvhung, he has the best response yet. I can appreciate the fact that we all have different takes on all of this, thats half the fun of a public forum, but, damn, it seems like debates are seen here from time to time just for the sake of. Ya nailed it lv, go listen.......

Comment

• fordster
                                                                  • Feb 2005

Makes me feel better about buying (soon) a 1056. The 1056 is my only option due to space limitation but if in the future I move to a bigger house and have room to expand my AV setup I feel comfortable with the though that I can add an external amp and have sound quality pretty much as good as a 1068 (which seems to be not that far behind a 1098). It seems to me like a sensible upgrade policy.
                                                                  Dave

Comment

• Howie
                                                                    • Feb 2003

Originally posted by soundhound
                                                                    My vote is for lvhung, he has the best response yet. I can appreciate the fact that we all have different takes on all of this, thats half the fun of a public forum, but, damn, it seems like debates are seen here from time to time just for the sake of. Ya nailed it lv, go listen.......
                                                                    Well, I'll say this - 1056, 1068, 1098, whatever - Stevie Ray kicks butt on any of 'em!
                                                                    Howie

Comment

• RickF
                                                                      • Apr 2005

Well, I'll say this - 1056, 1068, 1098, whatever - Stevie Ray kicks butt on any of 'em!
                                                                      I do know you are right!

Comment

• pras1011
                                                                        • Nov 2005

i have the 1068. i have read this. can some answer this question:- is it worth me upgrading to the 1098?

Comment

• Kevin D
                                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                                          • Oct 2002
                                                                          • 4601

You would need to list your entire system contents before we can accurately give you a whole bunch of different opinions.

If you have read the thread, the best answer so far is to go listen and decide for yourself.

Kevin D.

Comment

• pras1011
                                                                            Member
                                                                            • Nov 2005
                                                                            • 37

my system consits of:
                                                                            rotel 1068
                                                                            parasound 855a power amp
                                                                            mk 5 x s85 and v125thx sub
                                                                            toshiba 350e dvd player

but i have no way of listening to a 1098

Comment

• gianni
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • Nov 2002
                                                                              • 524

#39
                                                                              Looking at your system, I think there are better places to spend your money. IMO, the 1068 is not your weak link. For starters, if you are into 2 ch music, I would consider replacing your L&R fronts with one of the dual mid driver M&K's - either the 850's, the 150's or something from the pro series. You will like the improved upper bass and dynamics from these speakers. These should blend nicely with your remaining s85's which are good speakers. Personally, I would not bother replacing the 1068 - I do not think you will notice a significant improvement.

You can always use thise two s85's for 7.1 or a second zone with an inexpensive sub.

Comment

• Dmantis
                                                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                • Jun 2004
                                                                                • 1036

#40
                                                                                Besides sound quaity. Anyone take a look at the back panel? there are more inputs on the 1098. This is Rotels Reference Preamp.

However,
                                                                                I have listened to both and found th e1098 to have the last word in detail. The background noise is lower on the 1098. I purchased the 1068 to make room to buy the RMB1095. I wanted that amp and I was willing to give up the 1098 to have it.

I can say in ways I wish I spent the extra money and got the 1098. I perfer to have the top of the line. I'm always looking for ways to improve my overall sound. I'm 50 50 in music and movies.

If you have the money , spend it. Get the 1098. It sounds better and has more inputs. the screen is the screen. With or withour it, I would go 1098.

mantis

Comment

• Dmantis
                                                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                  • Jun 2004
                                                                                  • 1036

#41
                                                                                  O I forgot to reply to the power cord and Interconnects comments.

I have found in my years that upgrading your cables makes a sonic difference. As found by the other guy, even power cord upgrades make a audio and video difference.
                                                                                  Also using a high quality line conditioner helps the overall performance ot ones system.

mantis

Comment

• Kevin D
                                                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                    • Oct 2002
                                                                                    • 4601

#42
                                                                                    Originally posted by Dmantis
                                                                                    Besides sound quaity. Anyone take a look at the back panel? there are more inputs on the 1098. This is Rotels Reference Preamp.
                                                                                    Only on the most extreme setups would pick take the 1098 based on inputs. They both have the same number, but the 1098 has one more component and 3 more digital. The 1068's 3 component and 5 digital isn't really lacking.

Kevin D.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                    Search Result for "|||"