X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cheapskate2003
    • Oct 2003

Bass Management for stereo

Hi all, this is my first post so go easy on me!

Ive had an RSP-1066 and a RMB-1075 for a few months now but there is something annoying me. I have a sub but for music I would prefer to leave it out and just run my Dynaudio Audience 52's. I am running my speakers as small with a subwoofer and in sub level im running a crossover of 60hz. If I set the sub level on stereo to off does this mean my speakers recieve a full frequency or do they only recieve things over 60hz? Obviously I dont want to be loosing music!
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

There's a couple of ways around this...first though what are you using for a CD player and how is it connected to the Rotel? Assuming its a good one with good internal DAC's you could connect it to the multichannel inputs and then set the sub to Off for that multichannel input.

Comment

• Cheapskate2003
      • Oct 2003

Im using an arcam cd player with an analog connection. I found the dacs in each unit to be similar, they sound different but neither necessarily better. I take from your reply that I am loosing the stuff from below 60 hz if I dont use the sub? I hadnt though about using the multi channel input, what would the quality be like? Thanks for the reply by the way!

Comment

• will1066
        • Aug 2003

You are fine if your CD player is connected to the CD input and you don't do any DSP processing with the 1066. Your speakers are running full range and the sub doesn't play. By the way, were you a cheapskate in years past?

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

I wasn't aware you could use the analog 6-channel multi input for just two channel. I had always assumed you had to connect the seperate 2-channel output and/or use a digital connection. 8O

???

J.R.

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
          Jason

Comment

• will1066
            • Aug 2003

You can connect 2-ch into any of the 1066's 8 A/V inputs and the multi-input.

Comment

• Cheapskate2003
              • Oct 2003

Thanks for the help guys, so just to confirm by running the sub as "off" in the sublevel menu my speakers get a full frequency?

Im a student so I have to be a cheapskate to afford this hobby! Ive spent a huge amount in the last few months! :LOL:

Comment

• will1066
                • Aug 2003

Cheapskate, yes, because when your CD player is hooked up via an analog connection - and you are listening in stereo (aka 2-ch) mode - you bypass the 1066's digital bass management and other processing. Your speakers will get the full monty.

Let me just say, for a student, you have a rockin' system.

Comment

• aud19
                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2003

Originally posted by will1066
                  Ok but what if you have the 6 channels connected from your DVD-A player to the pre/pro ie: L, R, C, Surround L, Surround R and LFE. Will the player pass a 2-channel only signal through the 6-channel setup's L and R lines or do you have to connect a seperate 2-channel only connection?

J.R.

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
                  Jason

Comment

• will1066
                    • Aug 2003

Originally posted by aud19
                    Originally posted by will1066
                    Ok but what if you have the 6 channels connected from your DVD-A player to the pre/pro ie: L, R, C, Surround L, Surround R and LFE. Will the player pass a 2-channel only signal through the 6-channel setup's L and R lines or do you have to connect a seperate 2-channel only connection?

J.R.
                    I hope I understand your question correctly. Yes, the player should be able to pass 2-ch only through the pre/pro's multi-input with one set of six analog cables. Most DVD-A and SACD discs have both 5.1 and stereo hi-resolution layers. Some discs have only hi-resolution stereo layers. Hybrid SACDs have a redbook CD layer. You would command your multichannel audio player to playback the layer you want.

Comment

• Cheapskate2003
                      • Oct 2003

Im amazed that I have managed to get my system aswell! Ive had a reasonable stereo setup but then I felt the need for surround sound I set my self a budget of about £1500 (im in the Uk ) and then heard the rotel combo hooked up to some Dynaudios and promptly doubled it! I almost keeled over when the dealer told me the total but I got a 20% discount on the Rotels, made some good sales on ebay and here we go:

RSP-1066
                      RMB-1075
                      Arcam CD72t
                      Dynaudio Audience 52s
                      Dynaudio Audience 122c
                      Velodyne CHT-10 (so I dont annoy the neighbours too much!)
                      some cheap bipole rears

The video side of things comes next, I wont tell you what I have at the moment

Comment

• Phrog
                        • Oct 2003

Wait a minute... I am confused now. On my RSP 1066 I have my Rotel 951 CDP hooked up via a coaxial cable into one of the digital coax inputs on the preamp.

When I am listening to music, I want the sound to be un-processed and playing in two channel, stereo mode with no subwoofer.

From the posts listed in this thread, it sounds like I am getting processed sound by the way I have it hooked up and I would be better off it I run it through the CD input as analog.

Please let me know.
                        Phrog

Comment

• will1066
                          • Aug 2003

Phrog, the way you have it hooked up, your front speakers should be set to LARGE. Then, in SUB LEVEL, the STEREO setting should be OFF. This way, you won't be cutting off the low-frequency part of the signal. If you had your front speakers to SMALL and STEREO as OFF, you should have noticed that your music was missing bass. You are still listening to processed sound, technically. You're not really listening to your 951 CDP because you are letting your 1066 perform the digital-analog conversion.

Comment

• Phrog
                            • Oct 2003

Will,
                            Thanks for the info. Let me ask you this.... If I run the 951 CDP into the 1066 using the analog CD input, will this be the true sound of the CDP? Additionally, If I do this, do I still have control over the sub and its operation? Ultimately I want the CD player to do the D-A conversion and play through 2 speakers only. No sub. Let me know and thanks.... you are truely a Rotel guru.
                            Phrog

Comment

• will1066
                              • Aug 2003

No problem, Phrog. To answer your question, yes. Connect the CD player into the analog CD input. Then, in SPEAKER SETUP, you can select either SMALL or LARGE for the front speakers. (Even though I have "full-range" floorstanders, I have mine as SMALL because I don't want to "stress" my front speakers with heavy bass in home theater surround applications.) Then, in SUB SETUP, STEREO should be OFF. In INPUT SETUP, go to CD and turn its SURR MODE to STEREO. This way, your CD input is defaulted to 2-ch analog bypass. And because of the analog bypass, your front speakers will play full-range no matter if they were set as SMALL or LARGE. Keep in mind if you get out of STEREO mode (2 CH button on the front panel) and into Dolby Pro Logic II or whatever, you will be redigitizing the 951's analog signal. You will then be processing the sound and your speaker (bass management) settings will kick in.

Comment

• mig
                                • Oct 2003

Hi there
                                I am new here and have similar ? I have rsp1066/rcd1070 setup connected with both analog to cd input and digital to a dig input. Still i am hearing LFE when i'm listening to cd input. In cd input setup i have stereo. Ihave dig cable connected i case of listening to hdcd's.
                                Am i doing anything wrong?
                                Thanks

Comment

• will1066
                                  • Aug 2003

You can turn off the LFE/sub for CD stereo listening. Go to Sub Level to get into the Sub Setup menu. Then scroll to Stereo and lower the level from 0 dB to Off.

Comment

• mig
                                    • Oct 2003

Thanks Will. Finally i was able to fix it. really love to be a part of Rotel owners croud.
                                    Thanks to everybody who provides such a usefull info for the newbies like me.

Comment

Working...
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"