X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spiffnme
    • Apr 2003

RDV-1060

How does this machine compare for CD and DVD playback. All I've ever heard about is it's wonderful DVD-A performance, which honestly is the least of my concerns.

I have a cheap Pioneer 656A DVD/DVD-A player. Is it worth upgrading to the Rotel? I use the optical out of the Pioneer anyway, so I'm using my 1066's DAC's for CD and DVD playback.

What can I expect if I switch to the 1060? Should I continue to use the optical out for CD playback, or are the 1060's DAC's better than those used in the 1066?

Video performance is important to me as well, a better DVD player and TV are the final upgrades needed in my HT setup. I'll probably end up with a DLP rear projector, LCoS rear projector, or plasma TV.

I've posted to the avs forum and haven't received a single response. I'm shocked that NO ONE has an opinion on this new Rotel product. What's the deal?

www.funnyfarmcomics.net
    All Daredevil, All the Time!
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Yeah...we've both posted there with no response...

What IS the deal?

J.R.

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
    Jason

Comment

• spiffnme
      • Apr 2003

This is too funny. If you look at the thread on avs...it's just aud19 and I there as well.

www.funnyfarmcomics.net

Comment

• Mark_C.
        • Jan 2003

My hunch is that the current obsession, the universal CD/SACD/DVD/DVD-A players, are taking all the attention away from other players. Plus these new universal players are coming from Denon, a favorite on those boards regardless of the flaws noted in previous Denon players. Typical: Excitement grows as word of a new Denon player hits, anticipation grows, dealers give expected arrival dates, first purchases made (Practically a race to see who can post first about a given new model), followed by bitter whining and complaining as bugs surface.
        I'm curious about the 1060 myself, but even Secrets of Home Theater doesn't bother reviewing Rotel DVD players because relatively few Rotel players are sold.

Comment

• spiffnme
          • Apr 2003

That explains the lack of response elsewhere, but even here in Club Rotel there's been very little talk about it.

grrr....

www.funnyfarmcomics.net

Comment

• Mark_C.
            • Jan 2003

Another theory: No one is interested in purchasing a $900 list DVD player that doesn't do SACD. The price barrier these days seems to be $500 for a decent DVD player. I know I won't pay around $900 US for a DVD player, regardless of the brand. DVD players these days are just way too disposable.

Comment

• spiffnme
              • Apr 2003

That's a very valid point. I guess my goal has been to find a DVD player that will serve as my CD player as well. Hmmm....

The Denon 2900 keeps looking better and better. A factory waranteed 2900 can be had for under $600.

www.funnyfarmcomics.net

Comment

• jpossum
                • Jan 2003

I'll bite.

I love my new RDV 1060. I have upgrade to all Rotel and B&W speakers. I have been shy to offer an opinion because I am no expert, not even close to an audiophile/steriophile. All I can say is that I have just finished listening to the Eagles in 7 speaker surround and it was amazing. I had a boom box prior so I really have no comparison.

I wish I knew what the "chromo bug" was so I could tell you if it is there. All I know is that DVDs look are amazing on my TV. The soundtracks are fantastic.

I think you will have to try hard to find weaknesses. Better minds/ears than mine could probably offer you more technical thoughts. All I know is that I'm "da man" on my street and all my friends want to hang out in my basement!!!!

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"