X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • quadhammer
    • Feb 2004

1068 & using a digital input with DVD-A

Even though most DVD-A titles resample the 96kHz to 48kHz, I'd like to be able to listen via the digital input, just out of curiosity.

My RSP1068 doesn't seem to want to let me though!

The default input is digital but it flicks over to analog as it starts to play. Even if I cycle through from coax 1, coax2 to optical, etc. it stays on analog as it goes past the digital input it's connected to. It also plays the analog sound when it goes past digital inputs that have nothing connected to them.

It works fine for DVDs on the same setting. Bizarre, eh? Anyone experienced this, or got any advice, please.

Thanks.
  • csuzor
    • Nov 2004

I believe it is not possible to listen to dvd-a through a digital connection, due to copy protection... same as for sacd. the only option is a 1394 or denon-link connection I believe, but don't expect better quality than the player's decoder.

Comment

• RebelMan
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by csuzor
      I believe it is not possible to listen to dvd-a through a digital connection, due to copy protection...
      You got that right! Well mostly. You can run a digital link but it (My RSX-1056) down samples the signal to 48KHz. But for true DVD-A playback (96KHz) though, you gotta run it through the analog interconnects. As far as FireWire goes, I believe at some point it will be fully realized but I am not aware of any available surround processors that have the necessary DVD-A converters at the present time.

quadhammer, your RSP-1068 should support this too. It may just be a default setting in your OSD menu that needs to be changed.
      "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• quadhammer
        • Feb 2004

Originally posted by RebelMan
        You got that right! Well mostly. You can run a digital link but it (My RSX-1056) down samples the signal to 48KHz.
        Yeah, you see that's what I'd like to try. I can't get any digital link, not even a lowly 48kHz one.

You say the receiver or processor does the downsample? I would've thought the disc would tell the DVD player not to output at the full frequency via the digital outs.

Comment

• RebelMan
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Mar 2005

You are correct. Let me rephrase that. "You can run a digital link but it (My RDV-1050) down samples the signal to 48KHz (which can then be played on my RSX-1056)."
          "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• quadhammer
            • Feb 2004

OK, I got it sorted. My DVD player(pioneer 676a) needed to have its speakers set to just two, before it would output the digital signal.

I'm still not sure why the analog sound is coming through on the 'coax 3' digital input on my rsp1068. Anyone else notice this?

Comment

• NewBuyer
              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by quadhammer
              ...I'm still not sure why the analog sound is coming through on the 'coax 3' digital input on my rsp1068. Anyone else notice this?

Yes I've noticed strange behavior like that too, I have no idea why this occurs.

Comment

• quadhammer
                • Feb 2004

I updated the EPROM and flashed the software to 1.2.2 and it seems to have fixed the problem. The coax 3 input is silent like it should be with nothing connected to it.

Comment

• TimGRA
                  • Feb 2004

Every input has an analog AND digital defualt. It may lool like it is coming from COAX 3 but look deeper into that particular input and I think you will find an anaolg defualt as well. Just a thought.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"