X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • simonb68
    • Jan 2003

Headphone amp question

Hi all, I have recently purchased a pair of s/h Sennheiser HD590 headphones, I now need to source a headphone amp to use with my 1055. Does anybody have any experience with these and can suggest some suitable models, I was looking at the Creek or the Earmax, the latter is quite expensive but will consider it if its worth the money.

I am curious about connectivity though, I can obviously pass the line level outputs from the DVD/CD player to the amp, but I really want to use the phones for everything possibly, CD, radio, TV, movies etc. How can I connect the amp to the 1055 to allow me to listen to what is currently selected as the input, can I use the pre-outs, or am I stuck with switching cables all the time?

Thanks
    Simon
  • skipm
    • Jun 2003

Simon-

I've been in the market myself for a head amp and just recently decided on the Creek based on word of mouth reviews and other information I've gleamed on the internet. I believe it would mate perfectly with Rotel equipment and deliver the same warm, smooth sound that the Rotel does through speakers. Plus, being a British comapany, you would be keeping in all in the family, so to speak. I probably won't be getting mine for a few weeks so it you get one first, I expect to see a full report.

As far as hookups go, you will need to connect it to the tape-out on your receiver.

Good luck and let us know which way you decide to go.

Cheers,

-Skip

Comment

• jimmyp58
      Super Senior Member
      • Aug 2003

I use the Rega Headphone amp (U.S. $225) and it works absolutely wonderful with my RSP-1098. And to skipm's point, you have to run it through the tape-out; I have my cd players, dvd players, and hdtv cable all connected to the audio outs on the 1098.

Good luck.

Jim
      jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• will1066
        • Aug 2003

Browse the HeadRoom site www.headphone.com. It has a lot of good reference information. They make their own amps along with carrying other brands.

Comment

• simonb68
          • Jan 2003

Thanks guys for the replies, I will check out the website. Rega was not one I'd looked at, but will add it to the list.

Anybody use the MF X-Can, I've read good and bad things about it.

Tape out.. aha, that makes sense, do I need to set the REC out to the input I'm currently listening to.

Simon

Comment

• LEVESQUE
            • Oct 2002

The Grado RA-1 (with power supply) is one of the most transparent, w/o coloration headphone amp. So if you have a good source, and good cables, then youR headphones will shine, w/o any coloration from the headphone amp.
            To spend more $$$ on electronics without first addressing room acoustics is fruitless IMO.

Comment

• LEVESQUE
              • Oct 2002

Double post?
              To spend more $$$ on electronics without first addressing room acoustics is fruitless IMO.

Comment

• simonb68
                • Jan 2003

Skip - I went for the OBH21SE in the end, from what I've read the SE makes a significant difference. Amp and phones should be arriving tomorrow , so I'll report back. This is my first set of quality phones and separate amp so have nothing to compare it with, but will describe them as best I can.

Levesque, thanks, I did look at the Grado, but in the end a bit more than I wanted to spend, it does look to be a beautiful unit though. The Creek looks very good value for a 'starter' amp and leaves me room for those upgrades

Simon

Comment

• skipm
                  • Jun 2003

Simon-

That's good news. I hadn't thought about the SE so I'm looking forward to reading your review of it. I may have to go that way myself. I really believe the Creek will be a perfect compliment to the Rotel.

-Skip

Comment

• simonb68
                    • Jan 2003

Well... I'm still waiting for my unit, the supplier claims stock problems, but if it doesn't come soon I'll go elsewhere if they have it in stock :evil:

Skip - I discovered recently to some annoyance that MF have released the X-Can v3, back in August, for the same price as the 21SE. There was nothing on their website, which doesn't seem to be kept up to date, they don't have the TriVista DAC on there either. Not that I was thinking of getting it, but one can dream

Anyway, I have read some reviews and people think its wonderful, beating the OBH-11 hands down. Now I don't know how much better the 21 is, but I thought you might want to add that to your prospective list.

As and when I get my 21SE I'll tell you what it sounds like.

Simon

Comment

• suyver
                      • Dec 2002

You can also look at the Musical Fidelity X-CANvs headphone amplifier. I'm using this one together with a beyerdynamic)))) headphones (model DT 831) and I am really happy with the result.

Edit: this amplifier is in the 250-300 euro price-range.

Cheers,
                      Freek.

Check out my home theater!
                      Check out my home theater!

Comment

• skipm
                        • Jun 2003

Simon-

Have you received your Creek headphone amp yet? If you have, can you give us a mini review?

Thanx,

-Skip

Comment

• mazuly
                          • Feb 2003

Hi guys,

Why one needs a headphone amp? You see, this is coming from a guy that plugs his Sennheiser HD440II to his laptop to listen to music . What kind of improvements I can get if I purchase a headphone amp. Is this even necessary with my headphones or I only see improvements if I purchase a more expensive headphones?

Thanks,
                          Maziar

Comment

• eelco74
                            • Dec 2002

Well,

Since the 1055 does not have a headphone socket, you need something to plug in your headphone. A headphone amp can do this for your. Simply connect it to record out or second zone. You can control volume on it, an sometimes connect 2 headphones.

Brands that make them:

pro-ject (from the turnables)
                            Musical Fidelity
                            Creek

Or you by a Stax (www.stax.co.jp) Electrostatic Headphone (sorry...stax call them earspeakers). Since they work on high voltage, a headphone amp is inlcuded. I really really really really really really want to have one for years now. But at 750 Euro starting price .......

Marantz AV8802, Marantz UD8002, Rotel RB-991 and RB985mkii, Rotel RD960
                            Focal/Jmlab Electra 1028S, Electra CC, Electra SW1000S, Cobalt 705
                            Pioneer KRL-37V, Epson EH-TW8100, Kinkping CES-180 77"inch

Comment

• simonb68
                              • Jan 2003

Hi Skip, sorry it took so long to arrive that I'd forgotten I promised a review, so here goes..

The unit itself is quite neat, kind of like a mini separate with a flanged front, not as attactive as the MF XCan3 for example but seems very well built and solid to use, the volume control looks a little cheap but is smooth and solid.

Creek recommend a 24hr run in time and as the headphones had only had 2 hours usage I ran both in for a day at least. I thought I had a decent interconnecct spare but it seemed not, so I had to make do with a cheapish one (not OEM, just cheap).

Initial impressions were that the sound was OK but nothing special, definitely a warm sound with a reasonable amount of bass and treble detail, though the listening session was not that long. I planned to get a better interconnect to see if that improved things, but continued using it the meantime and the sound seemed to improve slightly.

I was then away for a while and been busy, but have recently changed the interconnect on my DVD/CD player so have transferred the old one to Creek, a modest vdH cable.

Prompted by seeing your post I am now relaxing to Dido's latest whilst watching the Wales vs Russia football match (and typing this of course). The interconnect has had a considerable impact, more detail, tighter but also 'bigger' sound, Dido's vocals coming across very sweetly. There's also a very low noise floor, complete silence between tracks.

There is some loss of detail compared to my main speakers, and nothing of the soundstage I get, but being a relative novice to headphones and headphone amps I wasn't sure what to expect.

Also it shouldn't be forgotten that these are relatively cheap headphones (list price 120 UKP) and I'd like to try this amp with better quality ones, I'm sure the Creek has plenty up its sleeve and the headphones are the limiting factor. Whether the SE is worth it over the standard I couldn't say and have no basis for comparisons with other units, but for the purpose intended, which is late night listening the current setup does a fine job.

Oh yes, one other point, there are two headphone sockets for his'n'hers listening

Hope that was of some help, please ask if you have any questions.
                              Simon

Comment

• LEVESQUE
                                • Oct 2002

Thank you for the review Simon.

Changing the stock cables on my Senn HD600 for some Cardas cables (custom made for the Senn) did make a big difference in the sound. The stock cables with the Senn are really cheap, and they usually benefit from a change for better quality cables.

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"