X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Digital amp update

I was talking with Rotel the other day and inquired about the status of the digital amps. Apparently they're still tweaking them a bit but we should see them sometime in the middle of summer (Early July give or take a bit)
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Are they planning on selling the solid-state amps alongside the new digitals or are they fasing the SS's out?
    Jason

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Yes. I was told Rotel will continue to sell the regular amps for some time to come.

Comment

• Kens1
        • Mar 2005

I remember reading about this before, Andrew do you recall if they were planning on making one of those digital amps a 3 channel model?

Comment

• Fishy
          • Jul 2004

Well if Rotel (UK) want someone the try them out, just give them my mail address.

Fish

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

I'm not sure...I know there's a 7 channel version, a 2 channel and a high power mono but there could well be others as well

Comment

• csuzor
              • Nov 2004

Could you explain what a digital amp is, how is it different, what advantages can we expect? Or point me to such info?
              Thanks
              Christophe

Comment

• mjb
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2005

Digital amps (class D) is for audio what switch mode is for power supplies. The amp has only two states: full on and full off. By 'chopping' these states very fast (using 'pulse width modulation'), huge power vs. size/weight can be achieved with very little heat. The on/off transitions occur around 350,000 times per second, which makes the brain think its in-fact hearing continuous audio!

Class D amps are totally linear and very efficient. The downside is, thanks to all this switching, they produce lots of high (radio) frequency noise which must be filtered.
                - Mike

Main System:
                B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
                Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• nash
                  • Mar 2004

I believe the 7 channel is 100W (7x100) - do we have specs yet on the 2 channel?

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Oct 2003

Hi,
                    The on/off transitions occur around 350,000 times per second, which makes the brain think its in-fact hearing continuous audio!
                    Even better - hi fi quality digital amps filter the output signal to remove the digital transtions completely so that the actual signal you get out is analog and matches the imput signal (they have a roll off at between 20Kz and 100+Khz depending on the technology). Bottom line - the output from a good digital amp looks the same electicaly as that from a good analog amp (continuous wave forms in the 10Hz to 20+KHz range

Geoff

Comment

• csuzor
                      • Nov 2004

Originally posted by mjb
                      huge power vs. size/weight can be achieved with very little heat.
                      OK, thanks for the info guys. Is this the only advantage, a smaller package and less heat for more power? Do you expect other benefits?
                      Thanks

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"