X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sithlord10
    • Apr 2003

1098 Bass Managment Settings

I have a question regarding the Multi-inputs settings particulary the LFE Direct option on the 1098. I've read the manual but I fail to understand it's meaning. Under the Sub setting I've put the level to max(10db) under Multi-Input but when I play a SACD and press the sub button on the remote it displays the level set for dvd playback after selecting EXT on the remote. When I turn on the LFE direct option to on the bass sounds much better than when it's off. I'm assuming that when it's turned on the Max setting I have applied for the Multi-Inputs is activated? If someone could please advise me to which is the best setup for SACD and DVD-Audio I would appreciate it thanks.
  • Scarp
    • Mar 2003

With the LFE redirect off:
    All inputs of the Multi-Channel input will just be routed to volume control and directly to the output. I think all other settings have no effect on what comes out (I'm not sure about tone control). You use this when your source player has proper bassmanagement for DVD-Audio or SACD (the only two formats the multi channel input is usefull for).

With the LFE redirect on:
    All inputs (including the LFE? I'm not sure, but i think so) copied and summed and put through a bigh pass filter of 100 Hz and this "new" signal is put on the subwoofer output. The subwoofer setting you mention definitly has an effect on this I think. And the reason it sounds louder is that extra bass fron the other speakers is added.
    The only reason I can imagine you want to use this, is if the original signal has NO LFE and you want your subwoofer to do something. You should use the subwoofers internal crossover to make sure that it works correctly together with your other speakers. So essentially you are creating an LFE channel from the other speakers.

Most new sacd/dvd-audio players do have internal bass management, so I doubt its a very often used feature.

Comment

• Sithlord10
      • Apr 2003

Thanks Scarp. The problem is that under Sub settings on the 1098 I've set the bass level to max(10db) for Multi- Input but when I select Ext on the remote which is for the Muti-input it displays the level for DVD which is +3. Maybe I've just got to spend a bit more time configuring as I haven't covered all avenues yet. Thank you for your input (no pun intended). :LOL:

Comment

• Sithlord10
        • Apr 2003

Well I need to pick anyones brain here so here goes. I'm a little confused as to the speaker settings when selecting the crossover frequency on the 1098. I currently have all speakers set to 80hz including the subwoofer. As the subwoofer(Whise profunder 319a http://www.whise.com.au/products/319A/profunder_319a.htm ) has it's own crossover (Can be set to 80 or 100) do I switch the setting to off for the Sub so it uses it's own crossover or let the 1098 to that? I own the M&K S-5000 THX speaker system which is on their web site http://www.mksound.com/thx_sys.html. As I'm getting into the hard core of tweaking at the moment, I want to get the best out of my system. I'm sure thats what we all try to achieve.

Comment

• Scarp
          • Mar 2003

Most commonly you shut off any crossover in the subwoofer. This you really do not want also, since the LFE channel can reach up to 120 Hz and using a crossover on the subwoofer at 100 Hz will remote some more signal. (depending on the specs of the sub offcourse).

So let the 1098 handle the crossovers and set the sub to full range.

Comment

• Sithlord10
            • Apr 2003

Thanks mate. I've set all speakers including the Sub to 80hz and it sounds brilliant. I sent an e-mail to M&K and asked them what setting I should set the speakers and they said 80hz after telling them of my setup. When you say full range(for the Sub) do you mean under sub setup with the crossover, set the sub to off?. I currently have it set to 80hz and it sounds great,but when I switch it off it loses it's punch. I guess I'll leave it and thank you for your help much appreciated.

Comment

• Scarp
              • Mar 2003

Leave it as is now. Besides theory also just listen what sounds best.

A crossover should normally be between 1 and 1.5 times the -3 dB value of your speaker. So if a brand states 30 Hz as -3 dB, then set it to 80 Hz. But it depends on the speaker and always test if it sounds correct. Use a test dvd to hear if there is no real gap between the sub and speaker.

What is so easy about the 1098 that I can set the crossover for my fronts to 60 or 80 Hz and for the rears to 100 Hz

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"