X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • june
    • Feb 2005

UPGRADES in the Philly area

Hello All,

I contacted my dealer (Worldwide Stereo in Ardmore) & they will do the upgrades by appoinments only for $100.00. Since I'm only a security guy not a computer guy is this the way tyo go? Or is it real easy to do.

June
    June
    "IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"
  • Scherr
    • Dec 2003

It is really easy to do. You just need to print out the instructions and take your time.

If you are still uncomfortable with it, I would suggest getting a friend who knows something about computers to help you. It will save you $100.00!

Scott

Comment

• Blindamood
      • Sep 2003

And a friend with a laptop, too, since it's easier to take the computer to the pre-pro than vice-versa. 8)
      Brad

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

Wow.. To think we actually support our customers and do it for free, in your house!

Might want to let them know that the $100 is going to effect your future purchases, that's just wrong..

Kevin D.

Comment

• Dmantis
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jun 2004

Personally I don't think a 100 bucks is wrong. think about it, they have to send a qualified Installer / programmer to the house, do the job , and make it back to the shop. Thats not free. Thats a service that they provide and I can respect that.

Custom Installers need to make a living like the rest of us. If they didn't then they wouldn't beable to pay for the food that goes on there families table.

I know some of the guys over at World Wide Stereo and video and they have a top class shop and staff. In the Phila area they are one of the best. They also carry Rotel and Dynaudio which to me is such a great combo.

Dan

Comment

• mjb
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2005

June, $100 is IMO too much! If you have a laptop with a serial port, download everything form Rotel (software and PDF files) and read it slowly and carefully untill you understand all the steps. Perhaps print the PDF's so you can have them to hand. There really isn't much to it, just follow the proceedure. If you have questions, I'm sure people will be more than willing to help you on this forum. Save the $100 and buy your wife something nice
            - Mike

Main System:
            B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
            Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• PewterTA
              • Nov 2004

$100 is INSANE. Maybe $10 or $20 for the what, 5 - 10 minutes it will take them?!?!

If you can hook a cable up, and follow directions, you can easily do it yourself.

Or you can pay me $100 and I'll do it. lol
              Digital Audio makes me Happy.
              -Dan

Comment

• Kevin D
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Oct 2002

Originally posted by Dmantis
                Personally I don't think a 100 bucks is wrong. think about it, they have to send a qualified Installer / programmer to the house, do the job , and make it back to the shop. Thats not free. Thats a service that they provide and I can respect that.

Custom Installers need to make a living like the rest of us. If they didn't then they wouldn't beable to pay for the food that goes on there families table.

Dan
                I did think about it and I'm one of the custom installers that need to make a living. The pure fact of it is, 15 minutes out of my time to quickly upgrade an existing customer when I'm in the neighborhood is not worth asking any amount of money. Part of the reason for Rotel being a dealer only line is so we can make enough money on the initial sale to take care of things like this. If we were trying to price compete on some internet pimped out line, then it probably wouldn't be a free service call.

Hell, we'll come and troubleshoot problems and pay to ship broken (under warranty) units back to get fixed, but I guess we are unique in that area too.

Now if someone wanted immediate service and just couldn't wait until we were near the house, then yeah we would have to charge our normal $50-75 an hour charge.

Kevin 'starving installer' D.

Comment

• Cooldmitriy
                  • Oct 2005

World Wide Stereo guys shame on you for charging $100 to perform simple task. What a rip off.

Comment

• Dmantis
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jun 2004

KevinD,
                    I'm also a custom installer. I don't make it a habbit to do work for free. Service calls for upgrades are exactly that. Same thing goes for Programming. If a customers cable company changes the channel lineup and we programmed in there remote, favorite channels, we charge to return to reprogram there favorites.Our customers pay with a smile for our service.

With Rotel or any software upgrades, if Rotel is paying the bill to go out and make the software upgrades, then I wouldn't have any problems giving my customers the best service possible. We do that anyway.

Dmantis( not starving Installer)

Comment

• Kevin D
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Oct 2002

Difference of opinion I guess. Let's face it though, Rotel upgrades are never really upgrades, they're fixes. We can either go out and do the upgrade, or go out there when they find the bug, and still do the upgrade.. It would take twice as long if I wrote an invoice and waited on payment.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Dmantis
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jun 2004

Agreed.

Nothing better then doing what you love for a livin Kevin.

mantis

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"