X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • whmacs
    • Oct 2003

Denon 2900 via Optical or Coaxial to RSP-1098

Hi Guys,
    Currently I've got my new 2900 connected to my RSP-1098 via one of Doug's silver coax cables. To save me some rewiring, has anyone tried a 2900 connected to an RSP-1098 via Optical? Is there any preceived difference in sound quality between the optical or coaxial connection?

thanks,
    Stephen
    Last edited by whmacs; 21 March 2005, 15:43 Monday.
    My Home Theatre
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Stick with your coaxial For the same amount of money a coaxial IC will usually beat out an equally priced optical IC IMO. Doug's silver coax is very nice too, I doubt you'd have any performance gain without spending a LOT more money regardless of IC type.
    Jason

Comment

• whmacs
      • Oct 2003

Hi Jason,
      Thanks for the reply, I didn't want to do a bunch of recabling and configuration changes and then find no detectible audio benefits.

cheers,
      Stephen
      My Home Theatre

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Anyone that thinks they hear a difference always says the Coax sounds the best...so stick with what you have and you'll be good to go. The only way to really get a big sound difference would be to switch over to analog cables....but that would use the DAC in the Denon vs the one in the Rotel and theres nothing to say the DAC in the Denon is any better then the Rotels.

Comment

• DrJRapp
          Super Senior Member
          • Apr 2003

I've got a 2900 playing into my 1098 and have tried both the coax input as well as the toslink, and I can find no descernable difference in the sound.

For the record, I prefer the sound of the 2900s DACs to the 1098s. To me they sound smoother, more, well...analog...LOL
          Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• whmacs
            • Oct 2003

Thanks again guys. I must say that I always thought that my previous Sony DVD player with the RSP-1098 was good, but since I've added the 2900, the sound and image quality has gone up another notch.

cheers,
            Stephen
            My Home Theatre

Comment

• Radec
              • Jan 2005

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe another small advantage to optical is you minimize the chance of interference traveling throughout your system. In some cases where grounding is an issue, this could be a plus and save some headaches.

Comment

• rhoffman000
                • Sep 2004

If you've been using the digital connection for both, it's not likely you heard much of a change.

Comment

• hidefdvd
                  • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Radec
                  Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe another small advantage to optical is you minimize the chance of interference traveling throughout your system. In some cases where grounding is an issue, this could be a plus and save some headaches.
                  Correct, but it is system dependent. For me replacing my Coax with Optical to connect my DVD and cable box to the receiver removed the interference.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"