X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • audionut
    • Aug 2003

1066 - double base?

I have a 1066 , what is the double base problem? I keep seeing postings about but still don't know what it is?
  • Danbry39
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Sep 2002

Hi Audionut,

Double bass is when the system doles out the same bass signal to both the sub and other speakers in your system so that, in effect, the bass overlaps.

What version of firmware do you have. The latest firmware, as well as a proceedure where two resistors are cut, effectively does away with this problem. I should mention that some aren't as bothered by the problem as others.

And welcome to the forum.

Keith
    Keith

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Please read the FAQ thread for more info on this issue and how to fix it.

Comment

• audionut
        • Aug 2003

Well first of all I didn't spell bass right , doh!! Secondly, I'm so ignorant I don't know what firmware I have...How do I find out?

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Yes Bass is spelt correctly, second to see the firmware version press and hold the mute button...read the FAQ

Comment

• audionut
            • Aug 2003

I've got version V/2/2/2/_020905...have to find out what that means.Thanks for the help guys!

System:
            1066 , RMB1075 , RVD 1080 and a NAD C320BEE
            Speakers - Klipsch RF3, RC3,RS3, SVS-PCI 20-39

Comment

• audionut
              • Aug 2003

I've got version V/2/2/2/_020905...have to find out what that means.Thanks for the help guys!

System:
              1066 , RMB1075 , RVD 1080 and a NAD C320BEE
              Speakers - Klipsch RF3, RC3,RS3, SVS-PCI 20-39

Comment

• Danbry39
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Sep 2002

Look at the top of the threads for Club Rotel. There is a sticky for Frequently Asked Questions. Open that and scroll down. You'll see a listing of each firmware upgrade and what it brings to the table.

Keith
                Keith

Comment

• STANG03
                  • Aug 2003

Awesome forum, just discovered it! I have been reading all morning with great interest on this "double bass" problem at the multichannel inputs and am trying to work through in my head whether or not it actually affects me.

My setup is a 7.1 Magnepan rig with 1.6's in front and rear, a Maggie CC2 center and two Maggie SS1's as the rear centers. I have a 15" Velodyne Servo with a Rotel 5 channel amp and 2 channel amp to power it all. I use a Pioneer 45a for DVD,SACD, and DVD-Audio. I do not have an ICBM.

Now, for settings on my Rotel I use the 100Hz crossover for the sub (I swithced off the crossover on the Velodyne) and have all speakers set to small. I do this even though my speakers are full range (sort of---they roll off at about 40Hz) in front and rear to put less strain on my amplifiers (and maximize clairity in the treble) and let my sub be the workhorse of bass for the system.

If I understand the problem correctly, the 5.1 analog inputs "automatically" send bass below 100Hz to the sub in addition to the bass being sent to the main speakers. If my mains are being rolled off at 100Hz anyway, I dont believe this would effect me in the current way I have things set up, as the bass below 100Hz *I need* because my mains are not playing below 100Hz.

The only way I think I would be affected is if I changed the settings to large fronts/rears (as opposed to small) and then the same bass would be coming out of both the sub and my Magnepans.

Any input or advice on my setup? Am I correct in assuming I am not affected? Thanks!!

Also, a stupid question, I checked my firmware and it said 2/2/2 020905. I read the FAQ, but, does that mean I am running version 2.22?

Comment

• will1066
                    • Aug 2003

The speaker size and crossover settings in the Rotel have no bearing with the multichannel input. Thus, your front and rear Maggies will play to 40 Hz and, unfortunately, your sub will be double bassing 100 to 40 Hz. You could minimize the double bass by setting the Pioneer's bass management settings like in the Rotel (all small speakers and crossover at 100 Hz (or higher)) so that sub-100 Hz information in each of the five channels going to the Rotel analog input is minimal.

Comment

• STANG03
                      • Aug 2003

Good info, I didn't think of that. I might do the mod then, my Pioneer has its own set of bass management issues for DVD-Audio and SACD. This bass management problem is very frustrating! Thanks!

Comment

• Muadib
                        • Sep 2003

I have a 1066 on order because my local dealer was out of stock. Is it safe to assume that this problem won't be an issue?

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

Yes and no It should have the latest firmware which fixes the issue on the digital side but the multi channel inputs still require the resistor cut if you want a true analog bypass on the multi channel inputs.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"