Hi Guys.. Newbie here with a question....

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vinny c.
    • Mar 2005

Hi Guys.. Newbie here with a question....

First let me say that this is a really nice forum. I just purchased a Rotel RX1052 receiver and an RC1055 CD player. I have them connected to a new pair of Paradigm monitor 11 v4. I love my new system, I've had it for 2 weeks now. I basically downgraded from what I used to have. I just wanted a simple high quality system and I like my Rotel system much better than my old system.

The question I have is I'm getting a buzz noise from the face of my receiver (not out of the speakers) when I dim my 300 watt halogen lamp which is not on the outlet where I have the receiver plugged in. The noise only occurrs when the lamp is dimmed, not at full brightness. Has anyone ever heard of this before? Is it a problem with the receiver or is it just from the stupid old lamp?
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

I do believe that would be the lamp sir
    Jason

Comment

• Kevin D
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Oct 2002

Get a better/different dimmer, but first try a more expensive light bulb..

Either may not help at all..

Kevin D.

Comment

• Mark_C.
        • Jan 2003

Dimmer=Bad

Comment

• chrispy35
          • Feb 2004

Not sure how a more expensive lightbulb would help with noise coming from the receiver...it might make a difference if the noise was coming from the lightbulb but that's not the case here.

From an earlier post of mine...
          ============================
          A typical dimmer switch uses a triac to basically chop out an adjustable portion of the 60 Hz sinewave. This 'chop' would cause to much higher frequency noise than 60 Hz which may not be adequately filtered by the system as is.

Check out http://home.howstuffworks.com/dimmer-switch.htm. There's a section on dimmer buzzing.
          ============================

A lower wattage bulb would probably reduce the effect since the difference in current drawn by the bulb when the triac switches on/off would be reduced. An AC filter on the receiver might help too.

I wonder what component inside the receiver is actually vibrating? Could something be loose that is affected by EMI?

Comment

• vinny c.
            • Mar 2005

hey guys, thanks for your help. Tried a different light in the same outlet, there was no buzzing or humming on my receiver. The old light is waiting for the garbage man to come tomorrow morning to be picked up. Now it's time to listen to some music
            Rotel=music Thanks again, Vinny

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"