X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bill Blank
    • Sep 2002

SUB LEVEL

Okay...so I got the BM mod performed about a month-and-a-half ago as well as picked up a Denon DVD-2900 universal player. I tweaked all of my settings using Stereophile's Test CD3 and my Rat Shack SLM. I got the best results with Speakers=Small, Sub=Yes, X-over=80, SUB LEVEL (2CH)=0.

That gave me the smoothest response with both my Rega Planet CD player and the Denon 2900. The settings in the Denon were: All speakers=Large, Sub=Yes, Filter=On, Bass Enhancer=On.

Cycling through the Denon using it's pink noise generator and it's MULTI-OUT, I had to goose the SUB LEVEL (MULTI-INPUT) on the Rotel to +5.

What can I use to set the Rotel's SUB LEVEL for Dolby Digital and DTS?? Is there a disc out there with multi-channel pink noise recorded in those formats?

Thanks,
    Bill

Rotel RSP-1066
    Rotel RMB-1075
    Rega Planet 2000
    Denon DVD-2900
    Mitsubishi WS-55411
    Paradigm Reference Studio 100 v3
    Paradigm Reference Studio CC-470 v3
    Paradigm Reference Studio 20 v3
    Velodyne CT-120
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Bill both Avia and Video Essentials can do that for you. There's a new version of Video Essentials coming out shortly that might be worth looking into but for now Avia is my disc of choice.

BTW how do you find the audio on the Rega vs the Denon vs the DAC's in your Rotel?

Comment

• Bill Blank
      • Sep 2002

Andrew,

Those discs have true Dolby Digital and DTS test tones (pink noise preferably) to get that LFE level right? I only have the S&V HT Setup DVD and my buddies borrowing it at the moment. I can't remeber if that had what I needed or not.

As for the DACs, they're all quite good and the differences are subtle. I prefer the Rega's for CD playback. It smoother than the other two and lets me listen to my rock recordings for hours on end without fatigue. It also offers up a bit more detail IMO.

The Rotel and Denon's DACs are no slouches and could live with either if I had to. There's just something about the Rega that I've never heard before in a CD player. When I initially switched from a Cambridge Audio CD player to the Rega, it was a much bigger difference than I ever could have imagined in the ways CD sounded.

Bill

Rotel RSP-1066
      Rotel RMB-1075
      Rega Planet 2000
      Denon DVD-2900
      Mitsubishi WS-55411
      Velodyne CT-120

Comment

• Energeezer
        • Sep 2002

There's just something about the Rega that I've never heard before in a CD player
        For you this is obviously a good thing but I did not like the sound of the Rega. Don't get me wrong. I consider it to be a class above the run of the mill and very very smooth almost analog sounding but....
        For my money it was giving up some dynamics and detail in return for the smooth sound. In my listening tests I prefered the D500 SE. Just goes to show how subjective audio is and how much ones related equip including your own tastes plays a role.
        Type of music is also a factor.

The Future of HT lies in FP SPREAD THE WORD
        The Future of HT lies in FP SPREAD THE WORD

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Those discs have true Dolby Digital and DTS test tones (pink noise preferably) to get that LFE level right?
          I believe they're just DD but DTS should be the same. The disc you have borrowed is the same as Avia just with fewer advanced test images...i.e. its likely all you'd ever need.

Comment

• Bill Blank
            • Sep 2002

energeezer,

The Cambridge it replaced was a D300. That in itself is a very fine CD player, my first good CD player, and now resides in my living room system paired with an NAD C340 Integrated and B&w DM601s2 speakers.

On first listen (audition) I felt the same way about the Rega (it's a Planet 2000 btw). The more I listened, the more recordings I went through, the more I realised all of the detail I could want is still there, just not as in-your-face as some players.

I agree 100% that it all depends on:
            1) Your preference
            2) Your associated equipment
            3) Your choice of music

The Rega happened to fill my needs perfectly, I always recommend that other audition it for themselves.

Andrew,

I won't be able to get my disc back from him until next weekend but I'll be sure to check it out and see if it's got the track you talk of. My concern with DD vs. DTS was due to all of the talk I've read regarding the boosting/cutting of the LFE channel in one format over the other. I'm guessing that it's true that there is a difference, since the 1066 gives the option to set different SUB LEVELs for each format.

Bill

Rotel RSP-1066
            Rotel RMB-1075
            Rega Planet 2000
            Denon DVD-2900
            Mitsubishi WS-55411
            Velodyne CT-120

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"